You are here

ORFT vs Soundfield for orchestra recording

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: ORFT vs Soundfield for orchestra recording

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:40 pm

hobbyist wrote:To me Facts + Logic = Truth. So if I sound like I am absolutely right it is because I think that I am correct based on the truth.

With apologies to the mods.

Some of the 'logic' you have expressed in various posts is abysmal and demonstrates little understanding of the subject. Additionally you have avoided or otherwise shrugged off requests to cite your sources while simultaneously demanding other people provide references for theirs.

Also, anyone claming "I'm smart therefore I can be rude" (using words to that effect) is merely saying "I am rude". Nobody cares how smart you are or aren't. There are some extremely well qualified people in these forums and they tend to be some of the most helpful, polite and modest folks around.

Plenty of people, I should know I'm one of them, put their foot in their mouth on occasion or get a little off-topic now and again but common courtesy and a modicum of sensibility is worth a great deal.

Being right is great, being wrong is fine if trying to help and most of us (you included) fall somewhere in between. Being abrasive is another matter however.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Aural Reject » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:04 pm

Perhaps it’s time to reinstate Forumuser840717’s original reply :headbang:
Aural Reject
Frequent Poster

Postby hobbyist » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:35 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:
hobbyist wrote:To me Facts + Logic = Truth. So if I sound like I am absolutely right it is because I think that I am correct based on the truth.

With apologies to the mods.

Some of the 'logic' you have expressed in various posts is abysmal and demonstrates little understanding of the subject. Additionally you have avoided or otherwise shrugged off requests to cite your sources while simultaneously demanding other people provide references for theirs.

Also, anyone claming "I'm smart therefore I can be rude" (using words to that effect) is merely saying "I am rude". Nobody cares how smart you are or aren't. There are some extremely well qualified people in these forums and they tend to be some of the most helpful, polite and modest folks around.

Plenty of people, I should know I'm one of them, put their foot in their mouth on occasion or get a little off-topic now and again but common courtesy and a modicum of sensibility is worth a great deal.

Being right is great, being wrong is fine if trying to help and most of us (you included) fall somewhere in between. Being abrasive is another matter however.

Maybe it is your logic that is erroneous.

All I see are ad hominems.
Try stating provable facts instead if you disagree with me.
Show me real logic not some fascist progressive democrats PC personal attacks type of political approach at winning an argument. [not that you personally have - but an example of the crap we run into in the states all the time that replaces true discussion and debate.]

I am not trying to be rude although when I get dissed I tend to reply less courteously. I admit there may be a cultural difference between us in the colonies and those on the continent.

I am not obligated to city my resources nor to prove myself to you.
If you disagree then you should research the topic yourself.
I tell you what is true and there my obligation ends.

I have always tried to help. Show me a post that was otherwise.
If I am unsure I will qualify my statements as an alert to check more carefully.
hobbyist
Regular

Postby hobbyist » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:36 pm

Aural Reject wrote:Perhaps it’s time to reinstate Forumuser840717’s original reply :headbang:

Please do.
I would enjoy a good laugh before I shred it for being wrong.
hobbyist
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:56 pm

hobbyist wrote:
Aural Reject wrote:Perhaps it’s time to reinstate Forumuser840717’s original reply :headbang:

Please do.
I would enjoy a good laugh before I shred it for being wrong.

Forumuser840717's opinion is backed up by a large body of recording work at the highest level. He is a very experienced professional classical recording engineer. Can you point to your recording portfolio? You do your credibility no favours by dismissing his opinion.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:37 pm

Clearly this discourse is not going well, and I fear it will only get worse. It's extremely rare that so many established and valued forum users take umbridge so dramatically with a new member.

So, for the sake of peace and harmony, I have activated a cooling off period in the form of a 7-day ban on Hobbiest. Hopefully that will allow time to become more familiar with the polite and respectful manner in which discussions are held here, and to reflect on how best to contribute in the future.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:32 pm

Appreciated.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby cyrano.mac » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:55 pm

Wot? No Decca tree? :mrgreen:

Sorry, tried this a while ago. Turned into a disaster cause I had no time to test mic position and the performance was moved to a smaller room. Fortunately, I had another setup further back. That one picked up too much audience though. Ah well, it was an experiment anyways.

Does anyone still use Decca tree these days?
cyrano.mac
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:18 pm

cyrano.mac wrote:Does anyone still use Decca tree these days?

Yes. Very commonly employed in orchestral recordings.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:31 am

Bob Bickerton wrote:Appreciated.

Here too.

For the benefit of any cousins west of the UK, I'd like to stress that some of the most decent, polite and downright good-to-know friends I have live in the US. As is the case with Hugh and others, I've spent a lot of time in the States over the years, have never felt anything but welcome and am looking forward to the next opportunity I get (it will come) to visit again.

To Hobbyist: I believe you have valid input to contribute to these forums, but really we don't do the bipartisan/'black and white'/'right and wrong' thing which you have exhibited to date. Everyone is free to have an opinion, everyone may be right, wrong or somewhere in beween at any point but respectful discourse is worth its weight in gold. I (and I know others) would be delighted if you were to re-engage with us later, share your views and input in a more respectful and considered manner and in doing so become a valued part of the community.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Previous