You are here

External phantom power supply

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

External phantom power supply

Postby Gianluca5080 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:53 pm

Hi guys,
my Millennia HV-32P phantom power is not working anymore: I mean the preamp works with dynamic/ribbon mics but apparently phantom power is damaged and so I can't use it with condensers (very very low/unusable signal).
I'm based in Italy so I should send the unit to California through my national dealer, and possibly I'll do it in the near future, but in the meantime I have a question for you: could I use an external phantom power supply and then connect the out from it to the millennia? And if yes there is some model do you recommend for my use (recording classical music on location with great quality gear such as Mytek converters and Schoeps and DPA mics)?
Thank you for your help,

Gianluca
Gianluca5080
Poster

Re: External phantom power supply

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:06 pm

Gianluca5080 wrote:...could I use an external phantom power supply and then connect the out from it to the millennia?

Yes.

And if yes there is some model do you recommend for my use (recording classical music on location with great quality gear such as Mytek converters and Schoeps and DPA mics)?

The only one I own and have significant experience of is the Canford Audio mains-powered two-channel phantom power unit, and it is extremely good:

https://www.canford.co.uk/Products/2019275/20-755_CANFORD-PHANTOM-POWER-SUPPLY-P48-2-channel-AC-mains-powered

However, plenty of other manufacturers offer the same kind of thing. Here's a listing from Thomann:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/phantom_adapters.html?price-first=0&filter=true&feature-11887=true

I think if I had to pick one of those I'd probably go with the ART Phantom Pro II -- not the cheapest, but I've always been impressed with the quality and value-for-money with ART products. A battery-powered box like the ART avoids any potential problems with mains hum etc, although nasty designs could have problems with whistles and whines from the DC-DC converters, so I'd avoid going bargain-basement!

Mains powered models obviously avoid the potential for batteries running flat mid session, which might be a consideration for classical recording, which is why my unit is mains powered.

As for fixing your Millennia preamp, you shouldn't need to send it back to the US. The Italian agent should be able to sort it out for you:

Audio Network, S.R.L., Via G. Saragat, 4, 20834 - Nova Milanese (MB)- ITALY,
T: +39 0362 571116
E: mauro@audionetwork.it
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: External phantom power supply

Postby Gianluca5080 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:48 pm

Thank you so much Hugh for your very informative and detailed answer, a big help for me!
You're the best,

Gianluca
Gianluca5080
Poster