You are here

Starting out

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Starting out

Postby The Elf » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:19 am

I think that my point in bringing up the 25-key keyboard has been lost somewhat...

What I was saying was that I see little point in a 25-key keyboard with semi-weighted keys and aftertouch. You could get 25 or more keys for much cheaper without those.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:43 am

MattWeth wrote:I guess a 49 would at least give me the opportunity to actually 'play' rather than just pick out melodies and fire midi at a sequencer...

Hi Matt,

The Elf makes a very good point about semi-weighted and aftertouch probably being a little redundant with only 25-keys, although I've found aftertouch quite useful for adding expression when using my Novation 25SL MkII that sits immediataly above my PC keyboard for editing, entering bass lines, tapping in drum parts, and simply melodies.

So yes, I agree with him that it isn't really worth paying more for a semi-weighted 25-key version - save your money and just go with a synth key response.

However, to elaborate on your point above, I find 25-keys just isn't enough for anything other than simply melodies (those in the key of C are easiest, since you get two complete octaves from C to C with 25 keys, bu as soon as you move into other keys you 'run out of notes' unless you use the keyboard's transpose function, which can be confusing again, and certainly not sufficient for any 2-handed playing.

If you're only going to have one keyboard for now, 49 keys would give you far more scope. and (I suspect) far less frustration, and semi-weighted could at this size be a far more useful addition.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby MattWeth » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:01 am

The Elf - I did see your comment and fully understand where you're coming from.
As you, Martin and others have said, I can see that a larger keyboard is going to be much more useful (and useable) - I'm going to go for the 49 key version :)
MattWeth
New here

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:51 pm

:thumbup:
Martin Walker

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:23 am

For what it's worth, though I don't have anything of substance to add to that which has already been said a longer keyboard is probably a wise decision.

I'm a ways further down the path you are now starting, insofar as I'm now spending proper money on the environment as opposed to gear.

One of the things that came up at the start of this process was a design consideration with regards to the desk that faces the moniters/acoustic treatment/DAW screens.

I am primarily a pianist/synthesist and as such It was suggested to me that the desk should be able to accomodate an 88-note keyboard, which would be useful but which would also compromise certain aspects of the layout. I opted to modify things such that it could accomodate a 61 key device.

I would have liked to get an 88-note board in the space but in my case it doesn't matter as I have one to the right at a 90 degree angle to the desk which is a workable solution. I cannot imagine any scenario where a 25-key solution is of any value other than a literal requirement to 'press a key and sample it' scenario or as a 'note by note' MIDI entry device. For playing, no way.

If you really need a keyboard at all, opt for the biggest one you can accomodate even if it is a little inconvenient.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby MattWeth » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:19 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:
If you really need a keyboard at all, opt for the biggest one you can accomodate even if it is a little inconvenient.

Thanks Eddy - good advice which I'll follow.
MattWeth
New here

Postby N i g e l » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:23 pm

As a guitarist you might want to check out some of the guitar to midi technology too, like Jamstik (hardware) or Jam Origins midi guitar [vst – so you could try out the demo 1st]. Other products are available as they say.

I think midi/vsts go best with a keyboard. I use a basic semi weighted 49 key keyboard for computer entry/playing. Its small and light for travel too.

I have had a go on the Novation SL25 keyboard and thought it had a nice action but I found it cramped - might be acceptable for blocking out chords or tracking baselines and leads. Certainly portable !

Semi weighted keys are a good half way house between the speed of unweighted and the playability of piano hammer action.
What ever the action you want, try before you buy if possible, as different manufacturers keyboards have a different feel, even the fully weighted keys.

The big 88 key hammer action keyboards come with a health warning as they are awkward to move, heavy [30kg?] and can do serious damage to toes or furniture if they escape. They also need a substantial stand.
N i g e l
Regular

Previous