You are here

microphone case options

Page 1 of 2

microphone case options

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:19 pm
by forumuser653351
Hello
I’m looking to get a case to put all my microphones in for when I go on location. The main reason is to keep the mics protected and reduce the amount of stuff to carry - rather than keeping them in their separate boxes.
Current mics are: Neumann TLM 102, Lewitt LCT 441, Line Audio CM3 pair and MBHO SDC pair. Hoping to add a pair of Line Audio OM1 and another LDC soon. Shock-mounts, clips etc I can store separately if need-be.
I’ve found a couple of possibilities: http://www.pulse-audio.co.uk/product/acc-case-m/ and: https://www.thomann.de/gb/thon_flex_cut_universal_mischpult_1.htm
Has anyone got any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Ian

Re: microphone case options

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:27 pm
by blinddrew
Might be worth looking at a mic-specific case, something like this perhaps: https://www.studiospares.com/Accessorie ... 459010.htm

Re: microphone case options

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:35 pm
by Sam Spoons
I was also going to suggest something similar but then spotted the OP has two LDCs (and another in the pipeline) and they don't look well suited to large diaphragm mics.

I've been wrong before though..........

Re: microphone case options

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:01 pm
by forumuser653351
Sam Spoons wrote:I was also going to suggest something similar but then spotted the OP has two LDCs (and another in the pipeline) and they don't look well suited to large diaphragm mics.

I've been wrong before though..........

It could work, I'll have to measure my LDCs.

Re: microphone case options

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:02 pm
by forumuser653351
blinddrew wrote:Might be worth looking at a mic-specific case, something like this perhaps: https://www.studiospares.com/Accessorie ... 459010.htm
Thanks, there's a few options on the website.

Re: microphone case options

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:08 pm
by Hugh Robjohns
The studiospares case only really works for a bunch of handheld vocal mics. SDC pencil mics tend to rattle around and LDCs just don't fit nicely at all.

Personally, I use hard-shell camera cases with diced foam interiors which can be cut or picked out to provide unique orifices for any collection of disparate mics.

This kind of thing:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterproof-Large-Protective-Camera-Case/dp/B00S86TL30

These 'Peli-esque' style cases have the benefit of airtight seals, which is handy for keeping the mics dry if you need to store them in a damp garage etc.

Re: microphone case options

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:13 pm
by forumuser653351
Hugh Robjohns wrote:
This kind of thing:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterproof-Large-Protective-Camera-Case/dp/B00S86TL30

These 'Peli-esque' style cases have the benefit of airtight seals, which is handy for keeping the mics dry if you need to store them in a damp garage etc.

That sort of thing looks great, much better price than the flightcase style.

Re: microphone case options

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:26 pm
by blinddrew
Ah, thanks Hugh, wasn't sure how adaptable they were.

Re: microphone case options

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:32 pm
by Hugh Robjohns
Very.

Typically, the foam is diced into 1cm cubes, so you can adjust the depth, width and length of each slot to +/-5mm, in effect. I have everything from tiny KM84s, up to an SM69 and SoundField mic in my cases, with all manner of SDCs, LDCs, and live-sound mics in between. Those with fiddly shock-mounts are stored with the shockmounts attached.

I've used these cases for over twenty years very successfully.

Re: microphone case options

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:35 pm
by Hugh Robjohns
forumuser653351 wrote:That sort of thing looks great, much better price than the flightcase style.

I should say that I've not used that particular case, so can't vouch for it specifically, but there are many similar variations on that theme. Peli are the leaders in that kind of case, but they are pricey. The Chinese knock-offs aren't as well made, but most are perfectly adequate and a great deal cheaper.

H

Re: microphone case options

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:45 pm
by Mike Stranks
I have a very heavy-duty Gator mic case which I've had for maybe 15 years. Built like the proverbial. I take the point about SDCs rattling around, but I store them with clips on - keeps them snug. Also my SDCs have always fitted OK - again sometimes a snug fit.

I've bought several 'diced foam' cases and other cases from these guys:

https://www.cases-and-enclosures.co.uk/products

Always been well-pleased.

Re: microphone case options

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:01 pm
by forumuser653351
Hugh Robjohns wrote:
forumuser653351 wrote:That sort of thing looks great, much better price than the flightcase style.

I should say that I've not used that particular case, so can't vouch for it specifically, but there are many similar variations on that theme. Peli are the leaders in that kind of case, but they are pricey. The Chinese knock-offs aren't as well made, but most are perfectly adequate and a great deal cheaper.

H

I definitely can't afford a Peli :(
Quite a lot of choice of this sort of case on Amazon, just a case of seeing which dimensions best fit my mics.

Re: microphone case options

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:01 pm
by forumuser653351
Mike Stranks wrote:I have a very heavy-duty Gator mic case which I've had for maybe 15 years. Built like the proverbial. I take the point about SDCs rattling around, but I store them with clips on - keeps them snug. Also my SDCs have always fitted OK - again sometimes a snug fit.

I've bought several 'diced foam' cases and other cases from these guys:

https://www.cases-and-enclosures.co.uk/products

Always been well-pleased.

Thanks, I shall have a look.

Re: microphone case options

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:19 pm
by shufflebeat
I use one of these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-fatm ... gKbK_D_BwE

Image

Bring your own diced foam.

Bigger models exist, of course.

Re: microphone case options

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:34 pm
by Bob Bickerton
I use Pelican cases and either use the supplied diced foam or make bespoke inserts using museum foam.

To my mind they are not expensive at all given the cost of what they’re protecting!

Bob

Re: microphone case options

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:21 pm
by The Elf
forumuser653351 wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:I was also going to suggest something similar but then spotted the OP has two LDCs (and another in the pipeline) and they don't look well suited to large diaphragm mics.

I've been wrong before though..........

It could work, I'll have to measure my LDCs.
I made this very same mistake. LDCs don't fit that case.

Re: microphone case options

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:32 am
by Wonks
The Elf wrote:
forumuser653351 wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:I was also going to suggest something similar but then spotted the OP has two LDCs (and another in the pipeline) and they don't look well suited to large diaphragm mics.

I've been wrong before though..........

It could work, I'll have to measure my LDCs.
I made this very same mistake. LDCs don't fit that case.
You obviously didn't use a large enough hammer. ;)

Re: microphone case options

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:41 am
by forumuser653351
The Elf wrote:
forumuser653351 wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:I was also going to suggest something similar but then spotted the OP has two LDCs (and another in the pipeline) and they don't look well suited to large diaphragm mics.

I've been wrong before though..........

It could work, I'll have to measure my LDCs.
I made this very same mistake. LDCs don't fit that case.

Thanks, good to know :)

Re: microphone case options

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:45 am
by Sam Spoons
Wonks wrote:You obviously didn't use a large enough hammer. ;)

I used a C1000, should I have used an SM58? :headbang:

Re: microphone case options

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:17 am
by Wonks
Sam Spoons wrote:
Wonks wrote:You obviously didn't use a large enough hammer. ;)

I used a C1000, should I have used an SM58? :headbang:


Oh, if you were using a C1000, then fair enough.