You are here

This is my gear list - how would you set it up?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

This is my gear list - how would you set it up?

Postby forumuser898174 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:48 am

My gear list is below. I have me ways of routing everything but still always experimenting. Interested to hear how other would set it up, i.e. which mics on what instruments through which preamps and interface inputs.
I'm usually recording 4 or 5 piece band where I try to get drums, bass and at least one guitar down live then overdub vocals and anything else. Gear list:

Interface - Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. 8 mic pres, 2 spdf, 8 adat

Pres:
UA 4-710d (4 pres and 4 input channels)
Joe Meek twin Q (with spdf)
Vintech Dual 72
Warm Audio WA412
Dizengoff D4

Outboard:
WA76 compressor
Buzz Audio SOC1.1 dual compressor

Mics:
LDC Rode Classic
Violet Amethyst
Nude C12
Rode NTV
SDC Oktava MK-012-01 2
Rode M3
Dynamic Heil PR40
Heil PR 30 x 2
SM57 x 2
SM58 x 3
E906
SM7B
forumuser898174
New here

Re: This is my gear list - how would you set it up?

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:40 am

Hi forumuser898174, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

I've just approved your first post, so hopefully you'll now get lots of helpful replies.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Arpangel » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:15 pm

Are you unhappy with how "you" set it up? If not, don't worry.
Your post is impossible to answer, there are too many variables to make even a vague attempt a waste of time. Who's singing will determine the mic, as for preamps, well, they aern't as important as the mic shall we say. And don't forget the room you're in, that'll affect all the previous.
You could give your gear to a 100 different musicians and they'd all come up with something different, and hopefully brilliant, but there is no "ultimate" way, if that's what you're asking.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby forumuser898174 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:40 am

Arpangel wrote:Are you unhappy with how "you" set it up? If not, don't worry.
Your post is impossible to answer, there are too many variables to make even a vague attempt a waste of time. Who's singing will determine the mic, as for preamps, well, they aern't as important as the mic shall we say. And don't forget the room you're in, that'll affect all the previous.
You could give your gear to a 100 different musicians and they'd all come up with something different, and hopefully brilliant, but there is no "ultimate" way, if that's what you're asking.
Did you miss the bit that said "I have me ways of routing everything but still always experimenting. Interested to hear how other would set it up, i.e. which mics on what instruments through which preamps and interface inputs."
forumuser898174
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:45 am

forumuser898174 wrote:Did you miss the bit that said...

Did you miss the bit that said:

Arpangel wrote:Your post is impossible to answer, there are too many variables to make even a vague attempt a waste of time.

He's right! There are so many potential ways to hook that lot together, depending on the sources, the room, the aims, and everything else... that it would be a pointless wast of time to go through them all...

Far better -- and far more likely to elicit a useful response -- if you were to ask specific questions about specific equipment in specific situations.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:00 am

Given that gear (which i'd love to get hold of :) ) it's all going to be about the performance and the environment. Are you always recording in the same place or do you work in multiple places? Are they good sounding rooms for the most part?
Are you one of the band and wearing multiple hats or are you solely engineering?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:16 am

Have you got enough space to record a whole band playing live? If so I'd be tempted to get another interface so that you can record everything live, including a guide vocal on say a SM58 so the band can hear in their headphones.

It will depend on how good the band is as to how well it will work, but it's how most of the classic rock albums with great feel were recorded. Then you can add overdubs, solos and vocals afterwards.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby forumuser898174 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:54 am

blinddrew wrote:Given that gear (which i'd love to get hold of :) ) it's all going to be about the performance and the environment. Are you always recording in the same place or do you work in multiple places? Are they good sounding rooms for the most part?
Are you one of the band and wearing multiple hats or are you solely engineering?

All in the same room (6m x 6m). I have a corner where the drums sound really nice. I have a house kit but people bring their own too. I'm often recording myself but trying to move more into situations where I'm just engineering.
I'm slowly making my way through testing all sorts of combinations on different things. The sort of reply I was seeking was if someone had some of that gear and something they really liked to do with it.
For example I might say - "I have an E906, I really love it on snare through an API style pre, but only if you're going for a rock sound". (Genuine tip BTW).
forumuser898174
New here

Postby forumuser898174 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:00 am

Wonks wrote:Have you got enough space to record a whole band playing live? If so I'd be tempted to get another interface so that you can record everything live, including a guide vocal on say a SM58 so the band can hear in their headphones.

It will depend on how good the band is as to how well it will work, but it's how most of the classic rock albums with great feel were recorded. Then you can add overdubs, solos and vocals afterwards.

I do have enough space but I find that isolation becomes an issue if recording too many things at once. I have 18 inputs all together. Yep guide vocal on a 58 is exactly what I do. Then overdub proper vocals through the Rode, Violet or C12, or even the PR40 depending on the voice. Was experimenting with my voice today. Surprisingly I found C12 into 710-d with no compression the most pleasing.

Was wondering if anyone had any particular favourites or tips with the gear mentioned.

Have been lucky to only have had great bands in so far! Which makes it infinitely easier.
forumuser898174
New here

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:40 am

forumuser898174 wrote:Was experimenting with my voice today. Surprisingly I found C12 into 710-d with no compression the most pleasing.

I don't want you to get the wrong impression, I'm just giving my perspective.
You found it fine, with you're voice, and you found it pleasing. I'm not denigrating any of the equipment you own, it's all good stuff, but why haven't I got any of it in my studio? because we all prefer different things. A certain mic through an API might give a good drum sound to you, but not to everyone, but that doesn't make it wrong or bad.
If I were producing someone I may like them to sing through an SM57 plugged into an ART Tube MP, I prefer Summit compressors, a U87 through a Summit TLA100 on female vocals sounds lovely to me, to my ears. You might not like it though.
I'd focus down a bit more, sometimes it's a process of elimination, figure out what sound you're looking for and spend some time with some choice gear trying to get it, but honestly, sometimes it's possible to get certain "classic" sounds out of a lot of different types of gear, the actual preamp, or EQ, or compressor isn't as important as you thought it was, and a lot of unlikely things will get you to the same place, which makes all this even more confusing!
I think your question is a difficult one, that anyone involved in music/recording would have trouble answering. Sure there are certain bits of gear and combinations of gear that tend to be quoted a lot by a large number of engineers in certain situations, but the bottom line for me and the best advice I can give you is to find your own voice, and invidual approach, that will go a long way, opinions can be useful but they are only opinions, even this one!
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby forumuser898174 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:36 pm

Arpangel wrote:If I were producing someone I may like them to sing through an SM57 plugged into an ART Tube MP, I prefer Summit compressors, a U87 through a Summit TLA100 on female vocals sounds lovely to me, to my ears. You might not like it though.
Funny you should say that - I used to own a Summit TLA50. I sold it cause I found it was just too coloured for me and I never ended up using it. But then recently got some of my personal tracks mixed elsewhere - overseas, and they had a TLA100 on the gear list and when I got the track back I instantly recognised the sound of the Summit on my voice. And I loved it. I didn't like it when I used it but with someone else's touch in this instance it was awesome.

I guess Im just after favourites/tips/suggestions from anyone whose familiar with the gear listed. Knowing full well it's entirely context dependent.

Maybe I'll get a chance to try out your - female vocals - U87 - Summit suggestion one day. Thanks.
forumuser898174
New here

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:42 am

forumuser898174 wrote:
Arpangel wrote:If I were producing someone I may like them to sing through an SM57 plugged into an ART Tube MP, I prefer Summit compressors, a U87 through a Summit TLA100 on female vocals sounds lovely to me, to my ears. You might not like it though.
Funny you should say that - I used to own a Summit TLA50. I sold it cause I found it was just too coloured for me and I never ended up using it. But then recently got some of my personal tracks mixed elsewhere - overseas, and they had a TLA100 on the gear list and when I got the track back I instantly recognised the sound of the Summit on my voice. And I loved it. I didn't like it when I used it but with someone else's touch in this instance it was awesome.

I guess Im just after favourites/tips/suggestions from anyone whose familiar with the gear listed. Knowing full well it's entirely context dependent.

Maybe I'll get a chance to try out your - female vocals - U87 - Summit suggestion one day. Thanks.

Yes, that Summit/87 combo just happend to sound good on the girl I was working with at the time, she wasn't exactly forceful, that mic/compressor gave her a nice presence.
I can remember, her father was sitting in on that session, he said..."blimey! I really don't think her voice could sound any better than that!" The effect was obvious, even to uneducated ears, so we stuck with it. It wasn't anything to do with me really, I just set it up and hoped for the best, and it worked. Her voice was very pure, and she was singing her own folk inspired music, so it wasn't a case of adding loads of effects or production techniques, we wanted a very realistic and intimate sound, and the U87 is just so so good at that.
But, I think Kate Bush loved that type of sound, pioneered it, but her favourite mic was an AKG414!
Arpangel
Frequent Poster