You are here

Microphone choice for vocals and acoustic guitar

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Microphone choice for vocals and acoustic guitar

Postby scw » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:53 am

I've had great results recording acoustic guitar with a pair of Line Audio CM3 cardioids. They have now been superseded by the CM4 and are available from Pink Noise. They are cheap as chips!
Stewart
scw
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:30 am

rggillespie wrote:I briefly had use of an akg c12reissue and that showed me whats possible and how my acoustics could sound. With that it just sounded like the guitar that I hear when I'm playing. Sadly (but fortunately for my wallet) it wasn't the vocal mic for me. It might be easier to explain what I'm aiming for by musical examples, recent wilco, ethan johns recordings, gillian welch, late johnny cash. To me quite natural sounding guitars but with a sense of the room and not to 'shiny' for want of a better word.

Don't let any of this microphone business stop you from making music, you'll find something suitable. But, I always stress to people how important it is to aspire to decent microphones, theres certainly no harm in doing that. Just save up, and get that C12 if that's what you like. Good mic's just make your life so much easier, providing the talent is sorted, "you" at least don't have to worry about the microphone.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby rggillespie » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:03 pm

Just thought I'd update this thread after my first ever microphone testing odyssey, hopefully it may be helpful to other less experienced forum users. I took the advice offered here, went off and trialed several microphones and it was an eye opener I hadn't bargained on each one being quite as very different sounding as they all were. Each recorded acoustics and electrics really well (not so much the shure) but the vocals showed up the right match for me. I had tried an Akg 414, then on advice a Telefunken ar51, Peluso P67, shure sm7 and finally an Austrian OC818. As these are very expensive things and I was only ever going to pass this way once, I wanted to take some time and be sure get it right. I tested each one for a week at home. I found with vocals to get it sounding how I wanted, just natural and clear, I had to use plugins and fiddle about with eq to get it right and sitting in the mix with the wrong mics. I really hadn't quite fully grasped that some mics suit some voices better than others. I don't see how you can know which is right for you without trial and error. The mic that I bought was the oc818 as it just sound so right from the first pass, straight off the bat. Perhaps not quite a juicy as the valve mics but clear, rich, full, no sibilance and most like what I think I was hearing in the room. The others perhaps to varying degrees all seemed a little veiled or grainy in comparison. I'm feeling now that I wasted quite some time with cheaper starter mics when I could have better results earlier with just one good quality mic. You live and learn though, and now the rooms treated, monitors sorted and mics sussed I shall have to work on the 'talent' side (oh dear me). The new mic's capturing all the glory and all the flaws too I'm afraid! Never mind its all great fun, playing and learning. I think the SOS review said if the oc818 was sounding not so good the problem would be elsewhere and I'm minded to agree with that. It seems to give a clear honest reflection on whats put in front of it, and it gets a big thumbs up from me. Thanks for the pointers from the wise heads on this forum, its much appreciated.
rggillespie
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:38 pm

Sounds like you've got a good result. :thumbup:
Thanks for letting us know the outcome. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Previous