You are here

Recording Help!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Recording Help!

Postby G18ALG » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:14 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Perhaps you could replace just a couple of mics with dynamics and give those to the loudmouths :)

That might leave enough power for the condensers.

CC

That’s a cost efficient and favourable idea but would the sound be hugely different though?
G18ALG
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:06 pm

G18ALG wrote:So I’ve been in touch with the shop that sold me the mixer to say “that thing you sold me doesn’t have enough power for all six mics like you said it would” and they have replied with “Given your description it sounds to me like you have diagnosed this correctly. To ensure that there is enough power to go around we usually recommend using a USB audio interface, something like the 18i20 that has a power supply (as opposed to bus power).”

If only they’d have told me that before!!

Your Berry mixer has mains power not bus power :roll: I suspect some wool pulling is going on.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ef37a » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:27 am

Sam Spoons wrote:
G18ALG wrote:So I’ve been in touch with the shop that sold me the mixer to say “that thing you sold me doesn’t have enough power for all six mics like you said it would” and they have replied with “Given your description it sounds to me like you have diagnosed this correctly. To ensure that there is enough power to go around we usually recommend using a USB audio interface, something like the 18i20 that has a power supply (as opposed to bus power).”

If only they’d have told me that before!!

Your Berry mixer has mains power not bus power :roll: I suspect some wool pulling is going on.

Agreed and note, the 18i20 is specce'd with only 50dB of gain for the mic pre amps and lack the versatility of a mixer's gain trim, channel level control, EQ and pan. The F'rite's pre amps MIGHT be a bit quieter than the Behrry's but I wouldn't bet on it!

If phantom power capability is still being thought of as an issue I still doubt that.

Hmm, just seen that is written as "gain range" 50dB so the AI could have up to 60dB? Still reckon it will be about the same as the mixer.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby John Willett » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:34 am

A single boundary mic. in the middle of the table may work perfectly :thumbup:

If you don't have a boundary mic., then lay an omni on its side held down with blu-tack (or teh like). :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:54 am

John Willett wrote:A single boundary mic. in the middle of the table may work perfectly :thumbup:

If you don't have a boundary mic., then lay an omni on its side held down with blu-tack (or teh like). :thumbup:

Now there's a thought if the room is reasonably good.... :thumbup:

... and I'd then use something like the excellent Broadcast plug-in http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=548 to help deal with variable levels and generally tighten things up. (And it can be used as a plug-in in Audacity... done it.) And it's free!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Humble Bee » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:42 pm

Or just get a second sub-mixer with two mic pres like the XQ1002usb. Then you would have 6 pres with adequate phantom power plus compression and eq on all channels.

80 bucks...
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:01 am

G18ALG wrote:
ConcertinaChap wrote:Perhaps you could replace just a couple of mics with dynamics and give those to the loudmouths :)

That might leave enough power for the condensers.

That’s a cost efficient and favourable idea but would the sound be hugely different though?

The sound would be different from what it would have been before but as between different people less noticeable. And if you go the mic replacement route you can try it out with a couple of mics before you go the whole hog.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby currentsound » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:07 am

General troubleshooting would involve working out which component is not working.

For example, take the mic and cable from mic 1 and place it into channel 3 and then 4. If it works fine in channel 1 and two but not in 3 and 4, look to see if there are any settings that are different on the other channels such as phantom power, gain, fader level, EQs, etc..

If it sounds fine, then you know it's an issue with the mic or cable that you have in the other channels but again look to see what is different. Do they all need phantom power? Is phantom only on the other channels etc..
currentsound
Poster

Postby Wonks » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:11 pm

currentsound wrote:General troubleshooting would involve working out which component is not working.

For example, take the mic and cable from mic 1 and place it into channel 3 and then 4. If it works fine in channel 1 and two but not in 3 and 4, look to see if there are any settings that are different on the other channels such as phantom power, gain, fader level, EQs, etc..

If it sounds fine, then you know it's an issue with the mic or cable that you have in the other channels but again look to see what is different. Do they all need phantom power? Is phantom only on the other channels etc..

If you'd bothered to read the thread, you'd have found that all the mics are the same, they all need phantom power, yes they all work when only one is plugged in at a time and yes, all the channels can provide phantom power. And we've already worked out that the mixing desk can't provide enough phantom power for all 6 mics at once.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Previous