You are here

Digital noise and ground loops

Page 3 of 3

Re: Digital noise and ground loops

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:18 pm
by jellyjim
jellyjim wrote:Lots of reviews from audio people saying this was helpful or is it just snake oil?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/iDefender-Grou ... B01N3XKOLG

https://ifi-audio.com/products/idefender3-0/

And I just picked this up from an Amazon locker and ... would you believe it ... it works incredibly well! I might make a video. Standby ...

Re: Digital noise and ground loops

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:15 am
by ef37a
Very interesting J, now I don't mind paying £49 for the device if it solves an otherwise intractable problem but a nifty for wall rat is taking it some!

Farnell do a 5V 1A jobby for about a fiver. I will admit the single page manual does say "any low noise 5V suppply will work".

I would however like to try my idea of just having the data lines connected to the USB ports? I suspect this is basically what the wee dongle is doing in effect.

Dave.

Re: Digital noise and ground loops

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:24 am
by jellyjim
Yes, ouch at fifty but I didn’t expect it to work and was all set to return it. Not sure what to do now! I only got the dongle, not the companion PSU. It did come in a very nice box ...

I did try mangling a USB cable in various ways arriving eventually at just the data lines and it killed the noise but also the connection! No USB device found. It might work in other contexts as I found various posts online where people had had success.

Re: Digital noise and ground loops

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:52 am
by ef37a
jellyjim wrote:Yes, ouch at fifty but I didn’t expect it to work and was all set to return it. Not sure what to do now! I only got the dongle, not the companion PSU. It did come in a very nice box ...

I did try mangling a USB cable in various ways arriving eventually at just the data lines and it killed the noise but also the connection! No USB device found. It might work in other contexts as I found various posts online where people had had success.

Have you tried connecting a 5V supply? I suspect something needs to detect 5V in order to work, even if the current pull is minimal.

Don't know about you but I must have at least half a dozen 5V supplies about the place and several at other voltages.

Dave.

Re: Digital noise and ground loops

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:04 am
by jellyjim
Don’t need the supply. It’s all working.

No dongle, noise from the MODX’s USB port. Put dongle between MODX and USB cable. Noise gone!

Re: Digital noise and ground loops

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:29 am
by blinddrew
It does seem like a lot for a little dongle, but the worth of something is not what it cost but what value it adds to you. :thumbup:

Re: Digital noise and ground loops

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:30 am
by Martin Walker
Glad you're finally sorted Jim! :thumbup:

And I agree that £49 isn't TOO much to pay for a neat device that also provides a means to supply 5v power to USB peripherals that need it once the USB juice itself has been disconnected.

All these 'hi-fi' accessories tend to be relatively expensive, as they are a niche product, but I'm quite impressed with this range (there are even a few graphs on their web site ;) )


Martin

Re: Digital noise and ground loops

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:48 am
by ef37a
jellyjim wrote:Don’t need the supply. It’s all working.

No dongle, noise from the MODX’s USB port. Put dongle between MODX and USB cable. Noise gone!

You said you had a "device not found" flag so I thought no go.

Glad you are sorted.

Dave.

Re: Digital noise and ground loops

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:51 am
by jellyjim
Ah no, confused you there Dave!

That was when I butchered a USB cable

Re: Digital noise and ground loops

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:28 pm
by ef37a
jellyjim wrote:Ah no, confused you there Dave!

That was when I butchered a USB cable

Ooo! Ooo! You, you..TINKER you!

Dave.