You are here

First post (Hi), and vocal recording

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: First post (Hi), and vocal recording

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:50 pm

ef37a wrote:Aw Mike!

Did you HAVE to put up the cheapest, one lunged interface, bog standard interface there is?

How much is one of those then?

I would not mind getting something like that myself so I can record in areas where I have no electric, dose it require an external power source or dose it have a battery inside of it, or dose it power its self from the USB hub from the computer?

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:40 pm

The UM22 is £36 and buss powered, the Behringer UMC-202 which has two mic preamps, costs just £60 and is also buss powered and would be a better choice IMHO.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:56 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:The UM22 is £36 and buss powered, the Behringer UMC-202 which has two mic preamps, costs just £60 and is also buss powered and would be a better choice IMHO.
depends on if you need 2 mics or not

Postby ef37a » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:18 am

blinddrew wrote:
ef37a wrote:Aw Mike!

Did you HAVE to put up the cheapest, one lunged interface, bog standard interface there is?

Them's for podders only.

Dave.
Think we might be missing the point there Dave! :D

Well, what IS The Point then Drew? MY point is that newbs can be very influenced by what the knowledgeable folk of this forum say and show? That single mic input AI has its uses but is not a good choice for someone started down the road of music recording, especially since in this instance said newb owns TWO microphones!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:42 am

The point is that the discussion had moved on and it was an example of an interface with a mic pre-amp. But you know this already.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:13 am

Dave: I am in awe of your electronics knowledge and the way that you share it here.

But you're making a mountain of a molehill.

I was seeking to steer the OP away from buying a mixer... IMO the wrong route to pursue if starting out with no gear.

Someone joined in who, seemingly, had no concept of an audio interface, what it is and how it works.

I found the first picture I could of a simple interface - the simplest I could find quickly - which clearly showed the mic input and didn't show loads of other stuff that might take away from the basic point.

My pic was clearly prefaced with a comment about audio interfaces in general and the specific 'For Example' (E.g)

At no point did I suggest or imply that the poster asking about audio interfaces should 'buy one of these'. As Drew says, I was explaining a specific point to someone who joined the thread and asked a tangential question.

In friendship. Mike

Amber: if you're still here, ignore this diversion. It's irrelevant to your original question which has already been well-answered. :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:37 am

Friends always Mike.

Yes, sorry about the outburst. If I might just move a little more soil to explain?

I see shedloads of noob questions about interfaces and it is very common for them to just buy the cheapest unit they can find. The problem is not so much about Behringer (though I do not like them ripping off "our" amp designs!) but the single mic input, it will surely only be a matter of weeks before such a newb realises they cannot record voice and guitar say?

These bargain basement AIs also tend to have limited outputs on RCA and are generally not suited as the starter base for music creation.

I also have a "thing" about MIDI ports (not that anyone here will have noticed!) . I consider them essential and surely add little to the cost. MIDI has beed seriously upgraded and will I am sure become even more popular?

Yes Amber, ignore this old valve jockey.

Once again Mike, sorry for the rant.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:22 pm

My apologies also Dave, and for what it's worth, I agree with all your points about mic inputs and midi. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:17 pm

The opening post said he had 2 dynamic microphones (not condensers) So I presumed he was doing live performances so therefore would have a mixer

Postby mb_r » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:10 pm

I have to tell you guys, it hasn’t been easy to choose among all the available products on the market. But now I know a bit about audio and recording, which is helpful.
The audio interface I ended up buying is a Shure Motiv MVI. Can’t wait to test it, and hopefully I made the right choice :D
Your advices have been precious!
mb_r
New here

Postby mb_r » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:14 pm

Guest wrote:
mb_r wrote:Hi all,
I am a singer and would love to set up a starter home studio to record some ideas.
All that I have so far is a MacBook Air and my two dynamic mics ( a Shure Beta 58A, and a Sennheiser E 945).

Do you own a mixer?
No unfortunately I do not!
mb_r
New here

Postby mb_r » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:17 pm

ef37a wrote:Hi Amber and welcome,

All great advice to be sure. Now one of the things that tends to throw (WTGR) "noobs" when they first hook up a mic to an AI and get the meters in the computer working is the low level they seem to get. This is especially the case if they have ever use a tape based recording system .

I don't know Garage Band (but will look it up soon) but I am betting the signal meters are much the same as most recording software? (called a Digital Audio Workstation) . You have a scale, vertical or horizontal and numbered top to bottom 0 to usually around -60.
That scale is "Decibels Full Scale" or dB fs, When you start recording you want those meters hovering around -20dB fs and the loudest peaks no higher than -8 or -6 at the very most.

This all assumes you set to record at 24 bits (and 44.1kHz). Sorry about the technicals but there is ome stuff you really HAVE to know.

Dave.
Thank you Dave,
Will certainly check these technical details on and learn more about it!
mb_r
New here

Previous