You are here

Eye watering price reminders

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Eye watering price reminders

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:02 pm

I'm quite hopeful that Uli's boys and girls will come up with something that sounds as good and is as much fun to play for a fraction of the price... going on their track record to date I'm reasonably confident.... and excited!

H
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 24089
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Eye watering price reminders

Postby MOF » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:02 pm

I had a Seck 18-8-2, now that was noisy, ad an Alesis Midiverb to that and you've got your very own white noise generator!

I had those too, I upgraded to a Soundcraft Spirit (16 input) and later a Lexicon PCM 91, moved on to a Yamaha O3D and now all in the box.
I can’t (don’t want to) remember if I lost much money in the upgrades.
MOF
Regular
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:00 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Eye watering price reminders

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:10 pm

And where did we buy our goodies then?

Here we go.... Lasky's, G W Smith, REW (where John Willett once worked I think), Comet when they were only in Hull and only mail-order, Henry's Radio (still going and I still buy from them) ...

Any more?
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6729
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:00 am

Re: Eye watering price reminders

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:26 pm

Future Film Developments used to do a lot of good stuff. Hayden Labs (which was JW's old haunt wasn't it?) Sad when they went. I also remember Turnkey, Grahams Professional, ITA, REW -- you've already mentioned -- Formula Sound, Feldon Audio, SSE (Scenic Sounds Equipment), Audio Kinetics, and Eardley Electronics for Neutrik XLRs!

I did buy from Henry's Radio back in the day, but long before everything was cheap Chinese stuff. Maplin, of course, and Tandy (Radio Shack) occasionally.
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 24089
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Eye watering price reminders

Postby Kwackman » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:28 pm

At one stage it seemed my salary went directly to Thatched Cottage Audio.
User avatar
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1345
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Re: Eye watering price reminders

Postby Arpangel » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:57 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Future Film Developments used to do a lot of good stuff. Hayden Labs (which was JW's old haunt wasn't it?) Sad when they went. I also remember Turnkey, Grahams Professional, ITA, REW -- you've already mentioned -- Formula Sound, Feldon Audio, SSE (Scenic Sounds Equipment), Audio Kinetics, and Eardley Electronics for Neutrik XLRs!

I did buy from Henry's Radio back in the day, but long before everything was cheap Chinese stuff. Maplin, of course, and Tandy (Radio Shack) occasionally.

Used to go to FFD, and REW, Imhofs, and Henrys. Stirling Audio, and my fave, Chase Musicians, I saw my first ARP2500 in the flesh there, also, Rod Argents, I bought my Moog Prodigy, and Sequential Pro 1 from them, TPA Studio was next door......

I'm getting all emotional now....
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1037
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Eye watering price reminders

Postby Stratman57 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:05 pm

:roll:
Kwackman wrote:At one stage it seemed my salary went directly to Thatched Cottage Audio.

I remember Thatched Cottage, I seem to recall they opened a branch in Warrington, where I went to buy a pair of Yamaha S22 speakers and an Alesis RA 100 power amp. Both of which I still use today as personal monitors for the vocalists in my band, speakers mounted onto a couple of adapted mic stands.

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:00 am

Re: Eye watering price reminders

Postby Aural Reject » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:48 pm

Didn’t SOS carry a Turnkey insert as a stand-alone advertisement?

Or am I getting confused with something later on?
User avatar
Aural Reject
Frequent Poster
Posts: 893
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Lancashire born, living in Yorkshire :s

Re: Eye watering price reminders

Postby Logarhythm » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:36 pm

I'm sure that was in SOS - it's the only mag of its type that I've ever read*, and I distinctly remember drooling over Turnkey's ads as a teenager. Which I guess was helpful, as the mag itself definitely didn't induce enough gear lust :lol:

*I did buy a copy of Future Music (Mods, please forgive my foul language) once, and only once :mrgreen:
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Posts: 730
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:00 am
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Re: Eye watering price reminders

Postby Aural Reject » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:59 pm

I’ve a vague recollection of using it as a cheaper alternative to Razzle :headbang:
User avatar
Aural Reject
Frequent Poster
Posts: 893
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Lancashire born, living in Yorkshire :s

Re: Eye watering price reminders

Postby John Willett » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:23 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:And where did we buy our goodies then?

Here we go.... Lasky's, G W Smith, REW (where John Willett once worked I think), Comet when they were only in Hull and only mail-order, Henry's Radio (still going and I still buy from them) ...

Any more?

You are correct, I worked for REW in the late 1970s and my old mate John Adeleke (known as AmpMan) worked for Laskys over the road.
User avatar
John Willett
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6198
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2000 1:00 am
Location: Oxfordshire UK
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Re: Eye watering price reminders

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:46 pm

I still have a mic stand I purchased from REW in 1976... and a mic clip from 1973.

I remember a lot of those other companies, but didn't patronise them much. Back in the 70's I was fortunate enough to have a friend in 'the trade'. I got most of my gear from him on 'Trade plus consumer VAT' terms. If he couldn't get something he'd point me in the direction of someone else who'd also give me a decent discount...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6729
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:00 am

Re: Eye watering price reminders

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:06 am

Arpangel wrote:Used to go to ...and my fave, Chase Musicians, I saw my first ARP2500 in the flesh there, also, Rod Argents, I bought my Moog Prodigy, and Sequential Pro 1 from them...

Yep, I bought a keyboard from Chase back in the stone age, and tried out a Prophet 5 in the flesh in Rod Argents.

Happy days! 8-)


Martin
User avatar
Martin Walker
Moderator
Posts: 14036
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:44 am
Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: Eye watering price reminders

Postby Arpangel » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:38 am

John Willett wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:And where did we buy our goodies then?

Here we go.... Lasky's, G W Smith, REW (where John Willett once worked I think), Comet when they were only in Hull and only mail-order, Henry's Radio (still going and I still buy from them) ...

Any more?

You are correct, I worked for REW in the late 1970s and my old mate John Adeleke (known as AmpMan) worked for Laskys over the road.

We may have met! I used to go to REW late 70's, bought a Thorens 160/SME there, and a pair of Altec speakers.
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1037
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Eye watering price reminders

Postby John Willett » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:28 pm

Arpangel wrote:
John Willett wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:And where did we buy our goodies then?

Here we go.... Lasky's, G W Smith, REW (where John Willett once worked I think), Comet when they were only in Hull and only mail-order, Henry's Radio (still going and I still buy from them) ...

Any more?

You are correct, I worked for REW in the late 1970s and my old mate John Adeleke (known as AmpMan) worked for Laskys over the road.

We may have met! I used to go to REW late 70's, bought a Thorens 160/SME there, and a pair of Altec speakers.

Very possibly - I worked at 146 Charing Cross Road (the shop that became Turnkey after REW closed) and later at 230 Tottenham Court Road, running the high end demo showroom in the basement.
User avatar
John Willett
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6198
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2000 1:00 am
Location: Oxfordshire UK
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Re: Eye watering price reminders

Postby forumuser840717 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:46 pm

I think I spent far too much money over the years with, amongst others, the likes of FFD, Raper & Wayman, FWO Bauch (though their closing down auction had some of the biggest bargains ever!), Kelsey Acoustics, Bryant Broadcast, Turnkey, Soho SoundHouse (who merged with Turnkey and moved from Soho Square to Charing Cross Road), Rod Argent's, Stirling Audio, SSE, HHB, and one of my favourites for used kit - Notting Hill Musical Instrument Exchange.

Another place I can;t remember the name of was a big tape/film supplier/wholesaler on Wardour Street - opposite FFD and a few doors down - which had probably the best stocks of recording (and fliming) media anywhere.
forumuser840717
Regular
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:20 pm

Re: Eye watering price reminders

Postby James Perrett » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:31 am

Lots of familiar names here...

I remember being given the chance to buy a multimeter as a lad and dragging my parents round all the shops north of the flyover looking for one. Names like Henrys, HL Smith, RTVC and Laskys come to mind. I think I ended up buying a Skywood PL603 meter from Laskys. I used to pay a visit to Edgeware Road every few months to buy bits and pieces as, after an early bad experience, I didn't really trust buying parts via mail order.
User avatar
James Perrett
Moderator
Posts: 8269
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am
Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Eye watering price reminders

Postby Dan LB » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:49 am

Logarhythm wrote:I'm sure that was in SOS - it's the only mag of its type that I've ever read*, and I distinctly remember drooling over Turnkey's ads as a teenager. Which I guess was helpful, as the mag itself definitely didn't induce enough gear lust :lol:

*I did buy a copy of Future Music (Mods, please forgive my foul language) once, and only once :mrgreen:

I remember that to be in SOS too - one of the very few mags I read at the time.

I also remember applying for a job there on Charing Cross Road when I was 20 (2001)

Didn’t get the gig though :oops:
User avatar
Dan LB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1292
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:00 am
Location: Wicklow, Ireland

Re: Eye watering price reminders

Postby nathanscribe » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:08 pm

Oh the high street there was Fox's Music in Leeds, where I bought a Juno 60 and tx81z back in the early 90s. I remember looking at the yamaha SY synths there too. I also used KGM in Wakefield, run by Ken Giles who I think had to do with Drawmer and later Soundfield... For a while there was a Drawmer office there at least. They had a studio round the back. I still have a Mirage bought there with one of my Maplin paychecks! Ha. Few years ago now...

I remember the shelves in the front full of reels of tape, all those ampex boxes lined up. Back then it was cheaper to buy tape, and take your dodgy cassette demo to a local studio to record on 1/4". Ha. And I remember when the one my friend used got their first Soundscape 8 track setup, two fat rack units and a PC to control it.
User avatar
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1041
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Wakefield, for my sins.
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Re: Eye watering price reminders

Postby Music Wolf » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:26 pm

nathanscribe wrote:Oh the high street there was Fox's Music in Leeds

Was that the one on the Headrow? Big store, I think that the guitars were in the basement?

I was at Leeds University 87 to 90 so would have spent a fair bit of time in there. I've been back a couple of times in recent years but I don't think that I could find one music shop from my time there (although there a few new ones).
User avatar
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1691
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:00 am
Location: Exiled to St Helens

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GilesAnt, MarkOne, Sam Spoons