You are here

Eye watering price reminders

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Eye watering price reminders

Postby forumuser840717 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:49 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:My wife and I bought our first house in 1976 for £5000, at the time a Tascam 48 had a retail price of £6000.

Are you sure that was a 48?

I bought one in about 1988 having wanted one since they came out in around 1984 as I couldn't run to a 58. The 48 was about £3k new (in 1984) but mine was used and pretty high mileage though still in good nick, and cost £1200 for which I'd sold a Revox B77HS. I probably should've kept the B77 as it'd be worth more now than the 48. However I did trade it up (at least I thought at the time that it was a trade up!) to a Brennel Mini 8 1" machine which sounded pretty good but was possibly more use as a training device for tape machine maintenance and soldering!
forumuser840717
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:23 pm

forumuser840717 wrote:... a Brennel Mini 8 1" machine which sounded pretty good but was possibly more use as a training device for tape machine maintenance and soldering!

:bouncy: :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Music Wolf » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:25 pm

Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby James Perrett » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:23 pm

forumuser840717 wrote:... a Brennel Mini 8 1" machine which sounded pretty good but was possibly more use as a training device for tape machine maintenance and soldering!

All those tantalum capacitors that had a habit of going short circuit. I used to have to fix one regularly for someone although I never actually used it for recording.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:38 pm

I got the price from 'The Home Studio Handbook" which, I think, was a collection of reviews from Home & Studio Recording mag. But I am relying on my memory so anything could be true..... :smirk: I think I know where the book is so I'll post a pic if I can find it.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:21 pm

... and then there was the weight of these behemoths...

My Ferrographs used to tip the scales at 26kg... :o

(I could never afford Revoxes... :( )
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:40 am

Sam Spoons wrote:I got the price from 'The Home Studio Handbook" which, I think, was a collection of reviews from Home & Studio Recording mag.

In which case you are probably out by a decade for the 48 as Home & Studio Recording started in the 80's and the 48 was reviewed in 1984. You can read the review at

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/tascam-48/4100

I had a quick look at the August 1976 issue of Studio Sound and prices mentioned ranged from under £2000 for the Itam 8 track up to nearly £5000 for an Otari 8 track. Actually that quick look took rather longer than expected because that particular issue also includes some really interesting articles on Abbey Road studios which I hadn't seen before. I found it at

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Ar ... 976-08.pdf
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:49 am

James Perrett wrote:Actually that quick look took rather longer than expected because that particular issue also includes some really interesting articles on Abbey Road studios which I hadn't seen before.

:lol: I have that problem a lot too! I have a paper mag archive of Studio Sounds (and Tape Recorder before it) from 1970, extending right through into the current Resolution era. Often, if I go to look something up I end up spending an hour or more reading some long-forgotten but utterly fascinating articles!

The RadioHistory archive is very useful -- and great for searches -- but I find the scan quality very poor and tiring to read.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:37 am

Does anyone remember Beat Instrumental magazine?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Stratman57 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:00 am

Yes I remember beat instrumental magazine, although not as a reader when it first came out. A guy across the road from my parents house brought a whole pile over to see if my dad was interested in them.

The one article that sticks in my mind was, if I remember right, a sort of diary written by Jeff Beck when he was on tour with the Yardbirds, where he said he was on a train going to the next gig and he borrowed a woman's nail varnish to fix a scratch on his guitar because it was an exact match for the colour.

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular

Postby MOF » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:50 pm

Does anyone remember Beat Instrumental magazine?
Yes I used to buy it each month, I still have them in my loft in plastic storage boxes.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:17 pm

Stratman57 wrote:Yes I remember beat instrumental magazine, although not as a reader when it first came out. A guy across the road from my parents house brought a whole pile over to see if my dad was interested in them.

The one article that sticks in my mind was, if I remember right, a sort of diary written by Jeff Beck when he was on tour with the Yardbirds, where he said he was on a train going to the next gig and he borrowed a woman's nail varnish to fix a scratch on his guitar because it was an exact match for the colour.

Regards, Simon.

That's interesting, i remember a review of the ARP2500.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Stratman57 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:34 pm

The copies I read were all from the early 60's, so before synths had made an appearance, as far as I'm aware.

The first time I even saw a synth in the flesh was when Radio Nottingham used to promote concerts in a hotel in the city, and me and some guys from school went to see a band called Home, who were touring their "Alchemist" album. They had a nice shiny MiniMoog.

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:41 pm

I've just been reading a 'review' of the original ARP Odyssey in the June 1973 edition of Studio Sound. In reality it was just a description of the controls... but interesting nonetheless. The price of an original Odyssey in 1973 was apparently £525 -- and that's almost exactly the same as the KARP model today, with the Behringer version even less. Now that's what I call heart-warming good value in these miserably expensive times! :D

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:03 pm

James Perrett wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:I got the price from 'The Home Studio Handbook" which, I think, was a collection of reviews from Home & Studio Recording mag.

In which case you are probably out by a decade for the 48 as Home & Studio Recording started in the 80's and the 48 was reviewed in 1984. You can read the review at

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/tascam-48/4100

I had a quick look at the August 1976 issue of Studio Sound and prices mentioned ranged from under £2000 for the Itam 8 track up to nearly £5000 for an Otari 8 track. Actually that quick look took rather longer than expected because that particular issue also includes some really interesting articles on Abbey Road studios which I hadn't seen before. I found it at

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Ar ... 976-08.pdf

You are absolutely right, out by 10 years and £3k :oops: just goes to show how unreliable the ageing memory is.........
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

PreviousNext