You are here

Eye watering price reminders

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Eye watering price reminders

Postby Aural Reject » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:36 am

Just to go back to the original post wrt denoising, I’ve recently had a client come to me with a “can you just...” style comment about his master. I never do anything like that until the musical content is agreed (ideally one doesn’t use the take where someone kicks a pencil across the floor in the first place but...depending on the abilities of the performer sometimes one has to and minimise it later), so it was on my to do list anyway.

Where it’s ‘entertaining’ is that - having had a conversation with one of the original users of the system from the OP - what he’s asking me to do would have likely cost him the same back then as his entire project has now...including his sessions, post production, artwork -and- the CD units...if not more....
Aural Reject
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:03 am

In 1975 I paid £500 for my EMS VCS3 with the DK2 keyboard, X2 Presto Patches and the manual. You'd pay the best part of £20,000 for that lot now.
Gear I wish I hadn't sold....the above...and...

MM 16-2 mixer, best EQ I've ever heard, at a silly price.
Studiomaster Series 5 16-4-2 best mic amps for me, stupidly big and warm.
Casio CSM10-P it has one sound that's worth having, but it's a beautiful sound.

I've owned a lot of gear in my life, I can't really remember, buttge things I mentioned above are really special, and don't ever get mentioned much. I haven't owned any piece of outboard I couldn't live without, most synths too, all of the equipment I own right now is the most important to me, even though it's not old or vintage.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:02 am

I bought a CS80, complete with all the accessories -- lid, music rack, stand, sustain and expression pedals the whole kaboodle. Paid £1300 for it in 1984. Perfect working order. Sold it ten years later for a couple of grand. Now worth upwards of £25k... :o
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:53 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I bought a CS80, complete with all the accessories -- lid, music rack, stand, sustain and expression pedals the whole kaboodle. Paid £1300 for it in 1984. Perfect working order. Sold it ten years later for a couple of grand. Now worth upwards of £25k... :o

I guess we buy these things because of what they are, and what they can do for us at the time, not as investments. But if we had known how much they would be worth now, would we have held on to them? And would we want to sell them now if we still had them? Probably not.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:29 pm

Arpangel wrote:MM 16-2 mixer, best EQ I've ever heard, at a silly price.

I'd agree that they got the EQ right on the old MM mixers - I still use mine occasionally for live gigs.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:50 pm

My first ever mixer was an MM, it worked fine for my needs at the time but I was not sophisticated enough to tell if it was any good :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby James Perrett » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:18 pm

The main drawback with my MM desk was that it was very noisy compared to the later mixers I owned and I ended up having to modify it to add inserts on the first couple of channels as well as a 25 way D connector for a multicore. The connectors were all jacks but then that was the standard for non professional use back in the late 70's and early 80's. I still haven't got round to opening it up to make a note of some of the names on the stickers on the channels inside to see if it was one of Ivan's (his company made stuff for both MM and HH).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Arpangel » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:07 am

James Perrett wrote:The main drawback with my MM desk was that it was very noisy compared to the later mixers I owned and I ended up having to modify it to add inserts on the first couple of channels as well as a 25 way D connector for a multicore. The connectors were all jacks but then that was the standard for non professional use back in the late 70's and early 80's. I still haven't got round to opening it up to make a note of some of the names on the stickers on the channels inside to see if it was one of Ivan's (his company made stuff for both MM and HH).

If anyone wants to sell their MM desk there's cash waiting.
Yes they were a bit noisy, but the sound was superb, you'd pay a fortune for a sound like that these days, it was worth it just for the EQ, what? 16 channels of great EQ for almost nothing. I bought my MM 16-2 from a guy who'd dropped a bag of cement on it, for £20, I completely rebuilt it, new sockets, and direct outs, I just wish I never sold it.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Stickman0_3 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:27 am

I remember, back in the 1980's, watching Top Of The Pops. It was the first time I had seen a synthesizer, it's what got me into music and synths. Back then I wanted the following:-

Sequential Prophet 5
PPG Wave 2.3
PPG PRK
PPG Waveterm B
Emu Emulator II
Fairlight CMI
Yamaha DX7

I wanted all of the above, that would be my dream setup, and it would cost

£ 5245
₤ 7200
₤ 2400
₤ 9000
₤ 5950
₤ 27000
₤ 1449
₤ 52999 Total

I had my list. Now all I needed to do was win on the Coin Pusher game at the seaside!
Stickman0_3
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:18 pm

OTOH I bought 4 AKG 190Cs in 1974 for £80 plus 12.5% VAT...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:33 pm

IIRC My first Canon 20D camera body cost me £850 used, the second cost £200, now they struggle to fetch £60-70. But that's just the same as old computer kit I suppose :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby John Willett » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:14 am

Sam Spoons wrote:My first ever mixer was an MM, it worked fine for my needs at the time but I was not sophisticated enough to tell if it was any good :headbang:

And mine - they were good for the price, but were rather noisy - I sold mine and bought an Alice 828.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby Arpangel » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:17 am

John Willett wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:My first ever mixer was an MM, it worked fine for my needs at the time but I was not sophisticated enough to tell if it was any good :headbang:

And mine - they were good for the price, but were rather noisy - I sold mine and bought an Alice 828.

I had a Seck 18-8-2, now that was noisy, add an Alesis Midiverb to that and you've got your very own white noise generator!
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:45 am

Yes, it's easy to forget how far semi-pro equipment has come in just a few decades. Budget gear now often exceeds the performance of revered professional gear from the 60s and 70s...

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:49 am

Anyone with a time-machine fancy a bargain? I rather like the look of a Fairchild 660 for $200 ... :thumbup:

Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Arpangel » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:04 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:Anyone with a time-machine fancy a bargain? I rather like the look of a Fairchild 660 for $200 ... :thumbup:

Don't go there! Neumann's were also going for silly money, when I sold my VCS3 no one wanted it, it was considered old hat, American polysynths were just coming in, and everyone wanted one of those, including me!
But some gear back then was just bad, it had no redeeming factors in reallity, I dug out an old Alesis Midiverb the other day, expecting to be wowed by it for some reason, but no, it's just very underwhelming.
There are things that are "up and coming" at the moment, I wish I'd never sold my Eventide H3000's, I had three of them, I paid around £500 for each one, now they're going for around a £1,000 plus.
Also 80's digital synths too, they are slowly creeping up, DX7's, Ensoniq, etc.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:59 am

Oh gee, two pultecs for $325.. someone give me a time machine! Now! :D
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Stickman0_3 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:11 pm

Sorry, my mistake - the Sequential Prophet was £2845.
Stickman0_3
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:11 pm

Which is about what I paid in total for the eight guitars in this room... :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby MOF » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:55 pm

I bought a CS80, complete with all the accessories -- lid, music rack, stand, sustain and expression pedals the whole kaboodle. Paid £1300 for it in 1984. Perfect working order. Sold it ten years later for a couple of grand. Now worth upwards of £25k... :o

I never owned one but I did use one at a recording studio in 1981, fantastic sound.
MOF
Regular

PreviousNext