You are here

Knowing how way leads on to way...

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Knowing how way leads on to way...

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:40 am

Well I love the SSL Six, but then I wondered how to get that sound directly into my DAW. Any way you choose means conversion, so are my converters good enough?, very probably, but long I stood.

But the longer I stood, the more noisy that PS Fan in RADAR II sounded so I ordered RADAR Studio, which is being assembled by iZ's Raymond right now. Where will this walk in the woods end?

By the way - can anyone recommend headphones for mixing? I have no idea, except I know my room is small and cluttered and Monitor Speakers will never work in there.

Thanks!
User avatar
Howdy Doody Time
Regular
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:00 am
Location: Huai Yai, Chon Buri, Siam
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Re: Knowing how way leads on to way...

Postby BJG145 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:53 am

Dunno, but the poem is close to my heart.

By the way - can anyone recommend headphones for mixing?

(I was interested in the Andrew Bolooki interview in the current SOS. Sony MDR-7506s seemed to work out OK for him.)
User avatar
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3738
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:00 am

Re: Knowing how way leads on to way...

Postby Jack Ruston » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:41 am

Is the Radar good enough to capture the sound of an SSL Six? Yes. You could buy any number of cheap little converters that would do an admirable job. They won't be quite as good as the Radar but they won't destroy your sound.

Headphones for mixing? Whatever you choose, mixing on headphones is odd, and throws your perception. Best bet Audeze LCD X or 4.
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3759
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:00 am

Re: Knowing how way leads on to way...

Postby Arpangel » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:01 am

RADAR is "thee" choice for me. But unfortunatly, I can't justify its purchase.
RADAR is largely ignored by most people, but it's a fact that it's sound is beyond reproach, it's like having all the benefits of analogue and digital with no compromises.
Those that haven't heard, or worked with RADAR won't know what I'm going on about, but if you have, you don't want to use anything else ever again.
If I were building a studio from scratch, RADAR would be the obvious choice, the converters are simply the best, end of story.
I can rember recording at the Red Bladder's studio using his quite old RADAR system, but listening to those recordings now they have an amazing quallity to them. But his engineering and lovely old Neumann mic's also added to the equation.
Capturing the sound of an SSL? RADAR won't be the weak link.
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1037
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Knowing how way leads on to way...

Postby Zukan » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:13 am

Howdy, what's your budget for the headphones?
User avatar
Zukan
Moderator
Posts: 7870
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Knowing how way leads on to way...

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:08 am

Zukan wrote:Howdy, what's your budget for the headphones?

Well on the recommendation of the first responder I ordered the Sony MDR-7506 from Lazada. However I'm not married to the Sony's. I'd say 500 quid might be enough.

Thing is I'm in my last job before retiring, and over the years I have gradually come to realise what I want from a home studio, and not to quibble over price to get it, because pretty soon playing with it will be what I do most of each day.

500 quid might not be enough.
User avatar
Howdy Doody Time
Regular
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:00 am
Location: Huai Yai, Chon Buri, Siam
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Re: Knowing how way leads on to way...

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:30 am

Jack Ruston wrote:Is the Radar good enough to capture the sound of an SSL Six? Yes. You could buy any number of cheap little converters that would do an admirable job. They won't be quite as good as the Radar but they won't destroy your sound.

Headphones for mixing? Whatever you choose, mixing on headphones is odd, and throws your perception. Best bet Audeze LCD X or 4.

After this, and reading the reviews, I ordered the Audeze LCD-X. The reviews don't really leave much room for doubt. Thank you Mr Ruston.
User avatar
Howdy Doody Time
Regular
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:00 am
Location: Huai Yai, Chon Buri, Siam
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Re: Knowing how way leads on to way...

Postby Zukan » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:26 am

Howdy Doody Time wrote:
Zukan wrote:Howdy, what's your budget for the headphones?

Well on the recommendation of the first responder I ordered the Sony MDR-7506 from Lazada. However I'm not married to the Sony's. I'd say 500 quid might be enough.

Thing is I'm in my last job before retiring, and over the years I have gradually come to realise what I want from a home studio, and not to quibble over price to get it, because pretty soon playing with it will be what I do most of each day.

500 quid might not be enough.

Mmm, not many headphones at that price range that I could recommend, sorry pal. I have seen Audeze LCD-X go for around £750 used but that's 50% more than your budget. There are good cans at well below that price point. I am just not convinced that the new £500 mark headphones are that good.
User avatar
Zukan
Moderator
Posts: 7870
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Knowing how way leads on to way...

Postby N i g e l » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:59 am

Zukan wrote:There are good cans at well below that price point. I am just not convinced that the new £500 mark headphones are that good.

I generally track/mix in a small room & use FOSTEX T50rp [ £130] planar headphones (based on Sam Inglis review 2016). I was quite amazed at their performance compared to the previous headphones which were about the same cost.

They are well received but get -ve comments about their sensitivity and comfort.

Sensitivty: I do have to turn the volume up to drive them but have not had any problems with lack of volume from Music gear or even my laptop, phone or mp3 player.

Comfort: people complain about the pads and "modders" recommend swapping them but again ive not had issues - i wear glasses for the computer too, with flat & bendy legs rather than round and stiff.


try before you buy as people have different shaped heads !

Headphone mixing is very different to mixing on monitors but headphones do get me along way down the road with great convienience. I often wonder if a binaural VST on the mix output would make up for the differences between speaker/headphone mixing.

Are there dramatic improvements between paying £100, £500, £1000 or is it all very subtle with diminishing returns ?
N i g e l
Regular
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm

Re: Knowing how way leads on to way...

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:33 am

Zukan wrote:
Howdy Doody Time wrote:
Zukan wrote:Howdy, what's your budget for the headphones?

Well on the recommendation of the first responder I ordered the Sony MDR-7506 from Lazada. However I'm not married to the Sony's. I'd say 500 quid might be enough.

Thing is I'm in my last job before retiring, and over the years I have gradually come to realise what I want from a home studio, and not to quibble over price to get it, because pretty soon playing with it will be what I do most of each day.

500 quid might not be enough.

Mmm, not many headphones at that price range that I could recommend, sorry pal. I have seen Audeze LCD-X go for around £750 used but that's 50% more than your budget. There are good cans at well below that price point. I am just not convinced that the new £500 mark headphones are that good.


Actually I bought the Audeze LCD-X, I was guessing the price rather than stating my budget. Thing is when You know the Audeze are the best, and you just bought an SSL Six (there's just me playing anything) and a Radar Studio top spec, then it seems folly to skimp on the phones given the monitor space is rubbish. I aspire to amateur status but concede I'm not there yet, I never actually record anyone these days, but I really must have the best I can afford, or what's the point. Cheers for the info, I'm convinced I made the right choice.
User avatar
Howdy Doody Time
Regular
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:00 am
Location: Huai Yai, Chon Buri, Siam
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Re: Knowing how way leads on to way...

Postby awjoe » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:15 am

Howdy Doody Time wrote:By the way - can anyone recommend headphones for mixing? I have no idea, except I know my room is small and cluttered and Monitor Speakers will never work in there.

Thanks!

I've got open-backed Sennheisers for mixing, but headphones for mixing are such a personal choice. I was shocked at how much more low end I was hearing when I went to cans, and how easy it was to hear reverb and delay, too. But what if you could make it work through monitor speakers? The room's already cluttered, right? That'll break up some reflections. And if you got a person or two in there with you, that would absorb some frequencies, too. *And* provide a second opinion. Treating a room's a cinch if you're lucky.

But open-backed for mixing, yeah, and it's your choice which ones. What do you have now? Audeze, right? Anyway, I use both speKers and headphones when I mix. I start through the monitors for the static mix, and then switch to cans for the space. By the time i get back to EQ and compression, it's just about there. I really like that approach - it's lovely hearing the mix through both monitors and headphones. That's why I made the suggestion of adding people to the room. And earbuds. Don't forget those.
User avatar
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2384
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:00 am
Fringe member of the Party Pooper People's Party

Re: Knowing how way leads on to way...

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:38 am

awjoe wrote:
Howdy Doody Time wrote:By the way - can anyone recommend headphones for mixing? I have no idea, except I know my room is small and cluttered and Monitor Speakers will never work in there.

Thanks!

I've got open-backed Sennheisers for mixing, but headphones for mixing are such a personal choice. I was shocked at how much more low end I was hearing when I went to cans, and how easy it was to hear reverb and delay, too. But what if you could make it work through monitor speakers? The room's already cluttered, right? That'll break up some reflections. And if you got a person or two in there with you, that would absorb some frequencies, too. *And* provide a second opinion. Treating a room's a cinch if you're lucky.

But open-backed for mixing, yeah, and it's your choice which ones. What do you have now? Audeze, right? Anyway, I use both speKers and headphones when I mix. I start through the monitors for the static mix, and then switch to cans for the space. By the time i get back to EQ and compression, it's just about there. I really like that approach - it's lovely hearing the mix through both monitors and headphones. That's why I made the suggestion of adding people to the room. And earbuds. Don't forget those.

Noted! and thanks for taking the time to reply.
User avatar
Howdy Doody Time
Regular
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:00 am
Location: Huai Yai, Chon Buri, Siam
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Adam Inglis, CS70