You are here

Flush-mount Main/Midfield monitors for Artist Home studio

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Flush-mount Main/Midfield monitors for Artist Home studio

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:30 am

fibcouple wrote:I have added ATC SCM45 to my list - seems like they respond well to flush mounting, are 'artist friendly' as far as fun in concerned and don't cost an arm & a leg.

Nice monitors, but they list at £9k (inc vat) which is well above the budget you gave in the original post.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ef37a » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:40 am

fibcouple wrote:
ef37a wrote:......you could go and listen to some bands armed with your trusty meter? (or calibrate your phone. The venue peeps might think you are from the council!) ....
Dave.

Or might get arrested for pointing things onto the stage, from a distance of 4 metres, 3 metres, 2..... :D

Cheers

That's why I said "calibrate your phone". EVERBODY has their bloody phone out all the bloody time!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:48 am

fibcouple wrote:
John Willett wrote:What is your listening distance?

Around 2.5 metres, with an equilateral triangle. But I do want them to still fill the room if I turn the level up & sit on the sofa at the back of the room at 6 metres - so headroom is important.

Cheers
Just to pick up on Dave's point earlier, do you actually need one pair of speakers or would you be better off with a pair of nearfields and a decent pair of pa speakers? It seems you're trying to do two separate jobs here and you might find it easier to use two different tools.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:53 am

Yes, why not a pair of Tannoy Reds (other vintage classic monitors are available) to impress the clients on the sofa and a pair of Neumann KH120/310s to do the real mixing on?

But I do get your desire to 'do it properly' and I suspect you wouldn't be satisfied with anything else (I wouldn't once I'd set my heart on some large soffit mounted monitors) chuck an Auratone or two on the meter bridge and you're in studio heaven :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ef37a » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:02 am

Yes Drew and Sam. I also think OP will be paying a lot of money for "quite loud" accurate monitors and then driving the "bits" off them. That would make me cringe a bit in the flexible friend dept?

A couple of grand's worth of PA speakers are designed for constant high levels and if you blow a tweeter? Not the end of the world.

Found 'em! Ld Systems Maui 28 G2 (snappy?) SOS June 18 . The speakers are quoted to produce 126dB (120dB ave?) at 1mtr. Now IMHO a high quality monitor that can match that is going to be well north of ten bags?

The M28s are now probably £2000 a pair. But nay! >>https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/LD-Systems-MAUI-28-G2-Column-PA-System/1SII?gclid=CjwKCAjw1rnqBRAAEiwAr29II63EmJ0-Y8MyK1V6vwG_S7mAiqZSSkwdgpAYxme_J-S_PXW_k8jvdxoCAawQAvD_BwE

Why do links come out that way here once in a bluey?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby fibcouple » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:09 am

ef37a wrote:....EVERBODY has their bloody phone out all the bloody time!

Dave.

True that. And I absolutely hate that....none of the concerts I really enjoy, I even think of getting my phone out - just want to lock the feel in my mind - but I know its for a different purpose here
fibcouple
Poster

Postby fibcouple » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:16 am

Sam Spoons wrote:Yes, why not a pair of Tannoy Reds (other vintage classic monitors are available) to impress the clients on the sofa and a pair of Neumann KH120/310s to do the real mixing on?

But I do get your desire to 'do it properly' and I suspect you wouldn't be satisfied with anything else (I wouldn't once I'd set my heart on some large soffit mounted monitors) chuck an Auratone or two on the meter bridge and you're in studio heaven :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

All fair points.....and I do want to do it properly. We are constructing a room from scratch, making a high, vaulted ceiling with lots of air to move so the acoustic recordings are top notch, getting the space professionally designed & acoustically treated to pretty high standards, so definitely don't want to put PA speakers in there!!
fibcouple
Poster

Postby fibcouple » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:18 am

ef37a wrote:Yes Drew and Sam. I also think OP will be paying a lot of money for "quite loud" accurate monitors and then driving the "bits" off them. That would make me cringe a bit in the flexible friend dept?

A couple of grand's worth of PA speakers are designed for constant high levels and if you blow a tweeter? Not the end of the world.

Dave.
Thanks Dave - I get what you are trying to say mate but I hope my intending direction is coming through. Appreciate your thoughts.
fibcouple
Poster

Postby fibcouple » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:23 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Nice monitors, but they list at £9k (inc vat) which is well above the budget you gave in the original post.

H

Thanks Hugh - yes they will push the budget a bit even with the deals to be had. I suspect KLH420 may well be a serious contender to beat in my list.

I will keep looking & then listen to them all in my room with whatever pennies I have left over.
fibcouple
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:24 am

I suspect a patient eye on the second-hand market may be the way to go but let us know how you find things as you try them out. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby fibcouple » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:37 pm

blinddrew wrote:I suspect a patient eye on the second-hand market may be the way to go but let us know how you find things as you try them out. :)

Sounds like a plan indeed :)

Thank you all for your learned comments to help with my quest
fibcouple
Poster

Previous