You are here

Difference Songs and Patterns on a Yamaha MOX/MOXF

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Difference Songs and Patterns on a Yamaha MOX/MOXF

Postby OneWorld » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:43 pm

Could anyone tell me what the difference is between a song and a patter on the Yamaha MOX/MOTIF? they both seem the same to me
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Difference Songs and Patterns on a Yamaha MOX/MOXF

Postby Stickman0_3 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:02 pm

Hi

I have an alsesis MMT8 which also uses patterns and songs.

I use pattern mode mostly to record basic pattern data ie drum parts, basslines, melody. In pattern mode, during a song, I can bring individual tracks in and out (turn parts on and off manually) on the fly whilst playing live.

In song mode, I can program these changes into each bar of a song to play automatically,

So to recap, you can program ideas for songs into the part section, then arrange them into a song using song mode.

I hope that helps.
Stickman0_3
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:40 pm

Thanks, yes from watching a YouTube vid that seems to be the distinguishing difference - you can sort of jam over the top of the pattern, playing live so to speak. But in many videos, tutorials etc there's always a lot of assumed knowledge. Whilst it would be impractical to go back to before the flood when writing a tutorial, making a vid, it would be good idea to approach from the perspective:

1. What is it? It is the Pattern Mode of the sequencer

2. What does it do? It allows for the creation of loops/phrases whilst also allowing the user to play one of the parts in realtime

3. How does it do it? The Pattern Mode can use one of more tracks in a single pattern. Each of the tracks is a 'voice' which can be selected from the library of sounds. Each track can be assigned it's own MIDI track number hence making it 'multitimbral' The pattern is built up 1 track at a time. Once the patterns are complete, these can then be copied across to make a song etc etc etc
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Stickman0_3 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:06 pm

To be honest, I rarely use song mode. I'll record everything in Pattern Mode as I find it much easier.

So, I record all my ideas in pattern mode, for example -

verse in pattern 1
chorus in pattern 2
bridge in pattern 3
etc.

When I have all the patterns I need, I can then use song mode to arrange my patterns. Think of it as a jigsaw - the patterns are the jigsaw pieces and the song is the completed jigsaw
Stickman0_3
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:00 pm

Thanks and yes that seems to be the preferred option, to record in song mode then use the song mode as the arranger once everything is done.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Stickman0_3 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:54 pm

No, no - record in PATTERN mode, then use the SONG mode as the arranger once everything is done.
Stickman0_3
Regular