You are here

Migrating from multitrack to PC: I can't get no (output) satisfaction

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Migrating from multitrack to PC: I can't get no (output) satisfaction

Postby James Perrett » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:18 am

I hope I don't confuse things by saying this but it appears that you can use the analogue inputs on your Alesis monitors at the same time as the USB input. So it would be possible to continue to use your Alesis speakers via USB for all the home entertainment stuff while sending them an analogue output from the Focusrite when you are using them for recording.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Watchmaker » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:36 am

FrankF wrote:I guess I just need to focus right. :oops:

:clap:
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby FrankF » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:58 pm

- I've now disconnected the USB cable from the Alesis speakers and connected them via jack cables to the Scarlett.
- In Windows I've made the Scarlett the default i/o device for rec. and playback.
- I've restarted the PC.
- I now have no sound at all: no input mon. and no recorded playback - thought the live input is reaching Reaper.
- I tried fiddling with the "routing presets" in MixControl, to no avail.

- I'm all ears, so to speak!
FrankF
Regular

Postby FrankF » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:08 pm

James Perrett wrote:I hope I don't confuse things by saying this but it appears that you can use the analogue inputs on your Alesis monitors at the same time as the USB input.
Hi James, a couple of other people said that this was the cause of my problems, which is why I tried the rewire (see above). But I'm still all ears.
FrankF
Regular

Postby CS70 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:10 pm

You're on the right way. The USB speakers have left and right jack input, right? They are, of course, powered up? The headphones should work fine even if you the monitors don't, so it's very likely to be a simple setting, like volume all the way down or outputs muted. Headphone monitor level is up and not muted? If you have more than one output, have you told the interface where to send the sound (i.e. to where you have connected the jacks)?

Start with windows sound settings and forget reaper for a moment.

Do you have the volume level up? In sound settings you can test the playback level. If you right click your sound icon (on the taskbar) where's the volume?
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby CS70 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:15 pm

FrankF wrote:
James Perrett wrote:I hope I don't confuse things by saying this but it appears that you can use the analogue inputs on your Alesis monitors at the same time as the USB input.
Hi James, a couple of other people said that this was the cause of my problems, which is why I tried the rewire (see above). But I'm still all ears.

You can, but best to start up simple and go a step at a time.

Since you have experience of connecting analog equipment, do realize there's nothing different with a PC - you still need "cables" and devices to move the audio from here to there - only some of them will be digital, i.e. moving data inside different software parts in the computer instead of having voltage differences over a physical cable.

Conceptually there's nothing different - a signal still has to go from A to B thru a series of devices - only some devices are software components running in Windows)
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:12 pm

Probably best to ignore my suggestion for now until you've got things working.

I can't see your older posts but have you tried playing a CD player or MP3 player through the speakers to check that the analogue inputs are working?

If the speakers are working then you'll need to get to grips with the Focusrite software control panel and make sure that you are sending audio where you think you are. The control panel on my Focusrite interface is a triumph of style over function and the outputs sometimes stop working for no apparent reason but I would have hoped that things have improved with more recent interfaces. On mine you can either have separate headphone mixes on outputs 5 and 6 or send outputs 1 and 2 to the headphones and the only way to tell how this is set up is looking at a tiny little button.

Sometimes when I have real problems with routing I'll set up a project that sends the signal to all outputs - something that is fairly easy in Reaper.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby FrankF » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:53 pm

"The control panel on my Focusrite interface is a triumph of style over function..."
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's less than impressed with Focusrite's s/w interface: my version of MixCtl won't even resize to full-screen, so there's no point in doing a screenshot.
FrankF
Regular

Postby FrankF » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:57 pm

Hi CS70, thanks. I've checked the h/w: it's the s/w that's driving me up the wall and across the ceiling.
FrankF
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:30 pm

Would a couple of screenshots of my set-up help?
Also, what set of outputs have you got the speakers plugged into and are you getting headphones signal?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby blinddrew » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:59 pm

On the principle that I'm at home and have them open now, here's my set up for Reaper:
and MixControl:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby FrankF » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:04 pm

Thanks a lot for posting that, BD: I copied your MixCtrl Mix 1 and Mix 2 settings, in both Routing Preset and the bit below (the bit that's unlabelled!), but still no sound at all.

Re speakers: I've got 2 jack cables going from the Mon. 1 and 2 outs of the Scarlett into the jack inputs on the Alesis speakers.

So anyway, what's the config s/w on the Behringer XR boxes like? Is it more user-friendly than Focusrite? :protest:
FrankF
Regular

Postby FrankF » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:18 pm

Sorry, just to iterate: the keyboard signal is reaching the Reaper channel, no probs.
On the Scarlett, I also have headphones attached, but there's nowt cumming owt, as that coach from Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner would say.
FrankF
Regular

Postby FrankF » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:30 pm

FrankF wrote: as that coach from Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner would say.
Oh my, It was Kes, and the actor was Brian Glover! Still, 2 great films get a mention, why aye!
FrankF
Regular

Postby CS70 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:33 pm

FrankF wrote:Sorry, just to iterate: the keyboard signal is reaching the Reaper channel, no probs.
On the Scarlett, I also have headphones attached, but there's nowt cumming owt, as that coach from Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner would say.

That's an obvious sign of incorrect routing. Can you put in dropbox a screenshot of your software mixer and post it?

And if you look at the simpler windows Sound Settings, and try to test the levels, do you hear anything? (I guess not but just in case):

It's easier to have Windows set up right first, then look at Reaper.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:22 pm

FrankF wrote:Thanks a lot for posting that, BD: I copied your MixCtrl Mix 1 and Mix 2 settings, in both Routing Preset and the bit below (the bit that's unlabelled!), but still no sound at all.

Re speakers: I've got 2 jack cables going from the Mon. 1 and 2 outs of the Scarlett into the jack inputs on the Alesis speakers.

So anyway, what's the config s/w on the Behringer XR boxes like? Is it more user-friendly than Focusrite? :protest:
What are your reaper settings set to?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby FrankF » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:46 pm

Almost identical to your screenshot: Focusrite is showing as device, then i/s and o/s are more or less the same.
FrankF
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:04 pm

Are you getting any movement on the meters in MixControl at all? Either for inputs or any of the output channels?
And in Reaper, have you got the routing for the master fader set to send an output to your hardware? Nothing there's been accidentally muted or anything like that? This is tricky to do remotely without any screenshots.
Don't suppose you're a TeamViewer user? Or any other screensharing technology?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:00 am

I had similar issues figuring out the Focusrite mixer, I just called Focusrite, they are very approachable, and in the UK! customer service is "just like it used to be" in the good old days.
They just talked me through the initial set-up, and it worked fine after that.
Maybe worth a go...

:?:
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby FrankF » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:36 am

blinddrew wrote:Are you getting any movement on the meters in MixControl at all? Either for inputs or any of the output channels?
And in Reaper, have you got the routing for the master fader set to send an output to your hardware? Nothing there's been accidentally muted or anything like that? This is tricky to do remotely without any screenshots.
Don't suppose you're a TeamViewer user? Or any other screensharing technology?
Yep, the meters are full of life in MixCtrl, the last 4 meters on the right.

Arpangel wrote:I had similar issues figuring out the Focusrite mixer, I just called Focusrite, they are very approachable, and in the UK! customer service is "just like it used to be" in the good old days.
They just talked me through the initial set-up, and it worked fine after that.
Maybe worth a go...
:?:
I should've thought of that earlier! I'll give them a ring, and if anything interesting comes of it, I'll post it here.
FrankF
Regular

PreviousNext