You are here

Mackie pro fx 8 USB/ monitor out issues

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Mackie pro fx 8 USB/ monitor out issues

Postby baymen1977 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:57 pm

Hi first time on this forum so bare with me while i explain
I have a Mackie pro fx 8 usb interfaced with my laptop so i can use it to play backing tracks from REASON 5 during performances , the problem is that the monitor output on mix board will not send a signal to powered monitor , the mains work fine lots of sound but nothing from monitor output while sound is coming from usb , works fine on channels where there is control knob for monitor . I want this so i can control the levels of the guitar and vocals and balance it with just enough backing track coming through stage monitor. i checked everything and its 1/4 jack to speaker out , feed from my channels work fine on the monitor just not sound from usb , is there a button i didnt press lol , im stumped any help is good help thanks.
baymen1977

Re: Mackie pro fx 8 USB/ monitor out issues

Postby blinddrew » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:36 pm

From a quick look at the manual (https://mackie.com/sites/default/files/ ... 0v2_OM.pdf top right of page 7) it looks like this isn't possible with the pro fx 8.
"USB return only goes to main L/R via the USB input level control."
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:48 pm

Yes, Drew is right. I'm afraid the desk can't do what you want.

If you look at the block diagram of the desk, the USB playback signal is an alternative to the two-track return, and it is routed directly into the main outputs after the 'break switch'.

So you can hear the USB replay at the main outputs, or at the control room outputs (when monitoring the main outs). But there's no route available to get it into the monitor (aux) sends.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Wonks » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:48 am

Have you got a spare stereo input channel? That's about the only way you'll get an external sound to the monitor out as well as the main outputs. Not over USB though, but you should be able to buy a 3.5mm TRS jack to 2 x 1/4" TS jack cable if you need to use a laptop line or headphone output.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby baymen1977 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:52 am

Thanks for all the reply's you guys are great help fer sure i guess i will have to go with headphone out or i will run separate monitor from main output placing it side by side with monitor sending instruments signal. Thanks again..
baymen1977

Postby Arpangel » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:35 pm

Or, you could use a splitter box on the main out, and take some leads to the aux sends, or better still, straight to the monitors, then you can still use the aux's for something else.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster