You are here

The difference between Pro and Semi Pro productions...

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: The difference between Pro and Semi Pro productions...

Postby blinddrew » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:02 pm

I guess they're working to a different vision.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:15 am

Martin Walker wrote:but to my ears sounded more like a band live performance spaced across a stage.Martin

Martin, I think that's why I like that version, someone said we change with age, our tastes, and that's certainly true. As I've got older I tend to prefer rough, dirty, live sounding records.
I was really into fidelity, and a very clean 70's style type of studio production when I was younger. Steely Dan were my ultimate band in this respect.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:22 am

Ringo and Paul both say the new mixes reveal what powerful performances they were

Call me a cynical old Hector, but I think it's highly unlikely that Ringo and Paul would put the kibosh on another squillion dollars hitting their bank accounts. :D
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby blinddrew » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:30 am

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:Your wish is my command...

Let it Be original of The Long and Winding Road: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR4HjTH_fTM

McCartney's Naked remix:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfVAJNqWw84

Personally I've hated pretty much all of the Beatles remixes they've been churning out. Too clean, too clinical, a lot less mojo.

Never been a fan of the Beatles, but in terms of the mix/approach, I prefer the naked version.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:52 pm

Arpangel wrote:
Martin Walker wrote:but to my ears sounded more like a band live performance spaced across a stage.Martin

Martin, I think that's why I like that version, someone said we change with age, our tastes, and that's certainly true. As I've got older I tend to prefer rough, dirty, live sounding records.
I was really into fidelity, and a very clean 70's style type of studio production when I was younger. Steely Dan were my ultimate band in this respect.

That's a case in point - so many people reach for classic Steely Dan tracks as examples of 'the perfect mix'. Unlike you, I still appreciate those on Aja, Pretzel Logic and The Royal Scam, but my musicial collaborator said only yesterday that he can't listen to those any more, and much prefers the earlier, dirty, live-sounding albums.

However, another related album folk cite as perfection in the mixing department is Donald Fagen's The Nightfly. It received so many compliments on-line that I ended up buying it, but have only played it once, since to me it sounds cosmetically dead as a dodo, and totally lacking in any spark :thumbdown:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:16 pm

Spector said he deliberately liked to make everything a bit fuzzy and messy so you felt the instruments as a whole rather than being able to pick out every nuance of individual instruments. And in mono of course. Dylan just does a rough balance mix and releases it, too.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby CS70 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:25 pm

James Perrett wrote:This isn't about using better gear or even a better studio - it is about knowing how to bring out the best in a performer and then making sure that the performance is captured.

Yeah! As an aside, the hardest thing I have when recording myself is that I never manage to get into the performance as much as I do when playing with the band. Having a good engineer that helps that is worth its weight in gold.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:03 pm

James Perrett wrote:Anyway - enough of the gripes. The big difference between the two versions is in the performance. The vocals have so much more attitude in the second version and there is so much more light and shade. I can understand people saying that the choice of sounds isn't as good - the guitar sounded too thin and harsh to me but that's a simple fix. This isn't about using better gear or even a better studio - it is about knowing how to bring out the best in a performer and then making sure that the performance is captured.
This follow up vid from JK from the same session is interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pv4MYxhbI4
It's pretty much all about how you get the best performance from the singer. Even on the couple of minutes when he does talk tech, it's all about getting the best performance.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Previous