You are here

Eleven rack as audio interface - should I upgrade?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Eleven rack as audio interface - should I upgrade?

Postby Leftyjay » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:31 pm

Hi !

I've recently moved to a VST only setup for playing and recording guitar tracks. I'm exclusively playing alone at home, for fun. My computer is new and was built with that setup in mind (good I7 processor, SSD only, 32g of RAM, etc.)

At the moment, I'm using my Eleven rack as an audio interface. My dream would be to be able to play (live monitor) through Bias FX2, at 96hz, with less than 8-10ms latency. Eleven rack is really struggling to handle that.

Question1 : Should I be able to get a better performance from let say, the Focusrite 2i2 compared to my eleven rack?

Question2 : If not, I started to read about onboard DSP processor. Would that mean that I would be able to run BIAS FX2 directly from that audio interface that has a onboard DSP?

Sorry for my newbiness :)
Thanks
Leftyjay
Poster

Re: Eleven rack as audio interface - should I upgrade?

Postby Watchmaker » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:03 pm

Leftyjay wrote:Hi !

Hi!

Leftyjay wrote:
Question1 : Should I be able to get a better performance from let say, the Focusrite 2i2 compared to my eleven rack?

The Eleven racks are fairly old tech at this point and almost any new interface will improve in some aspect. If you want lower latency, I'd suggest going uprange a bit.The Focusrite Claretts are outstanding imo, but there are a great many options. How much ya got to spend?

Leftyjay wrote: Question2 : If not, I started to read about onboard DSP processor. Would that mean that I would be able to run BIAS FX2 directly from that audio interface that has a onboard DSP?

Most dedicated DSP processors run only their brand of plugin. I'm not familiar with BIAS FX2 but as a standard VST, that'll get run natively and not by dedicated outboard processors.

Leftyjay wrote: Sorry for my newbiness :)

Revel in it!
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Leftyjay » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:07 pm

Watchmaker wrote:
Leftyjay wrote:Hi !

Hi!

Leftyjay wrote:

The Eleven racks are fairly old tech at this point and almost any new interface will improve in some aspect. If you want lower latency, I'd suggest going uprange a bit.The Focusrite Claretts are outstanding imo, but there are a great many options. How much ya got to spend?

Leftyjay wrote: Question2 : If not, I started to read about onboard DSP processor. Would that mean that I would be able to run BIAS FX2 directly from that audio interface that has a onboard DSP?

Most dedicated DSP processors run only their brand of plugin. I'm not familiar with BIAS FX2 but as a standard VST, that'll get run natively and not by dedicated outboard processors.

Leftyjay wrote: Sorry for my newbiness :)

Revel in it!

Thanks for your reply! Loud and clear. Im willing to spend 200$ CAD (around 160 in freedom currency)
Leftyjay
Poster

Postby CS70 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:59 pm

I tried to use the 11r for a period as an interface, but was crashing all the time with the hardware I had and gave it up - now I simply pass its ouput via S/PDIF to the audio interface (which makes it easy to use to make demos) and havent seen a blue screen for years.

As of being old - it is, but soundwise I would be my car against a dollar than nobody would be able to tell what's what consistently in this forum. Playing.. maybe, but doubt the bias' gonna be particularly better. The brilliant thing of the 11r is the analog front-end.

That said: latency does not necessarily depend on the interface. A new one may or may not make a difference. What matters is always the weakest link in the chain, and sometimes that's the interface (drivers), but very often is some bottleneck or hyperactive component in the PC. The only way to know is to try - possibly testing with one of the known very low latency interfaces (RMEs, MOTUs, the Presonus Quantum) and seeing what's what.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page