You are here

Home recording piano and flute advice please!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Home recording piano and flute advice please!

Postby Exalted Wombat » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:56 pm

I don't think it's mechanically-transmitted noise from the piano mechanism, just straightforward acoustic sound.

I'm not hearing much stereo image. What stereo information there IS seems rather diffuse, possibly mostly from artificial reverbration. Did you have a stereo pair in front of the whole thing?
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby Siejen » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:01 pm

Yes, ORTF pair. I’ve not used the spots yet as they actually didn’t add much.
The recording space was quite small, the mic pair was behind the flautist who was facing the pianist, so there’s not much image to be had. I can put up some untreated sounds if you would listen. I’d appreciate the learning if I’ve destroyed something with my processing.
Siejen
Poster

Postby Tim Gillett » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:48 pm

Yes the "pedal thump" may not be transmitted mechanically to the mics but through the air. Even so it's not part of the performance. Next time I'd explore temporarily adding a suitable piece of rubber/felt/closed cell foam to the offending spot in the piano mech, probably under the sustain pedal where it bottoms out on the wooden frame. These sorts of noises tend to develop slowly over time and it's easy for the musos to not notice it until a third party does.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby Siejen » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:11 pm

I've given them a little polish, and uploaded the Bach as well.
@EW; there is one here that is only the comp (onlycomp Schubert2) without processing. Compared to the processed, I can't hear much loss of image, but if you could comment, I'd really appreciate it :)
https://soundcloud.com/iain-suffield
Thanks,
Iain
Siejen
Poster

Postby Tim Gillett » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:53 pm

Thanks Iain. I enjoyed listening to a couple of the Bach tracks. The high frequency ticking noises coming from the flute were prominent at times. You might try a Declicker tool on this, experimenting with the click sensitivity. I wouldn't attempt removal of all these noises but at least many of them could probably be removed or at least their annoyance value reduced without compromising the musical sounds.

Tim
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby Siejen » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:58 pm

Hi Tim, thanks for commenting. I’ll investigate a de-clicker. I’m sure waves will have a sale on soon :wtf: Unless any recommendations???
The flute has been serviced now with fresh pads, so solo pieces should be click free when recording.

If they’re so different, we may even get the second days piano recording everyone expected!!
Siejen
Poster

Postby Ariosto » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:35 pm

I've listened to a little of Bach 1 & 2

Good balance between flute and piano.

My problem is that there is a lot of mush coming from the piano and I'm not sure if this is the instrument. Perhaps it would have been better to really close mic the piano* in stereo and have a mono mic for the flute with distance between players so that there was more separation in the sound. Then the flute (also fairly close miked) could be balanced against the piano in post production.

* Perhaps experimenting with mics inside the lid and over the harp, or even just over the hammers. Good piano sound comes from the initial hammer contact with the strings which "should" continue to ring without mush or distortion, and without the sustain pedal introducing nasty sounds. Of course this relies on a piano being in top condition and just having been tuned very well. Unfortunately the piano is an instrument that can sound terrible (and even worse on recordings) if it is not set up extremely well. This may all be out of your control of course. When I've been involved in recordings with violin and piano the instrument is freshly tuned and also retuned during the sessions if necessary.
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:46 pm

So you had a stereo pair up, but it was looking at the back of the flautist?

I wouldn't fiddle with this one any more. The finger isn't pointing at you - the pianist has heard that his instrument requires a tuner/technician's attention and the flutist has heard that his instrument also needs an overhaul. Schedule another session after that's been taken care of. Decide where the audience is sitting, put the stereo pair there and get them to play in that direction!
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby Tim Gillett » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:26 pm

Just to clarify, my suggestion to declick related to the existing recordings as about all that could be done to improve them. For any future recordings in the same room, I'd mic each instrument separately and closer as Ariosto mentions. We can always add good reverb later but removing bad location coloration is difficult if not impossible.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:52 am

Siejen wrote:I've given them a little polish, and uploaded the Bach as well.
@EW; there is one here that is only the comp (onlycomp Schubert2) without processing. Compared to the processed, I can't hear much loss of image, but if you could comment, I'd really appreciate it :)
https://soundcloud.com/iain-suffield
Thanks,
Iain

I like it a lot better without all that reverb!

Might you have neglected Rule #1 of applying any effect? Dial it up until it sounds REALLY lush. Then dial it back by at least 50% :-)
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

Previous