You are here

Suddenly Noisy Rode NT2

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Suddenly Noisy Rode NT2

Postby jimh76 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:06 pm

Hi,

I bought an NT2 second hand about 6 months ago and came to use it today, and it's suddenly really noisy, to the point where it's almost hard to hear my voice. I can only describe it as sounding like i'm recording someone rustling a crisp packet right near the mic and the voice being about 6 feet away.

My quandry is this, do I look into getting it repaired (if so where?) or do I just bite the bullet and sell it as faulty (I got it for £60). Is the mic worth spending the money to get it fixed as i assume it'll be about £70 to fix, and the price of a NT1A is only about that 2nd hand?

Just to clarify it's the original NT2 that looks like the Neumann that they got sued for and had to discontinue...... :smirk: .

Thanks for any help.

Jim.
jimh76
Poster

Re: Suddenly Noisy Rode NT2

Postby MOF » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:39 pm

Have you tried putting it in a dry environment to remove any humidity? It sounds like a condensation problem.
MOF
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:42 pm

It is almost certainly a combination of moisture and contamination (dirt) either on the capsule or on a sensitive part of the electronics. This is almost certainly repairable as it is a very common problem but the first thing to do is to try drying the mic out first - either by gently warming it in an airing cupboard or by storing it in a closed container with some dessicant (or rice) to remove the moisture.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby jimh76 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:44 pm

Not yet. Can this really effect the mic like that?

Well no harm in giving it a try. Airing cupboard?

Cheers
jimh76
Poster

Postby jimh76 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:49 pm

Cheers peeps

Will give this a go tomorrow

How long do I keep it in there?

Thanks
jimh76
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:48 am

Until it stops crackling... ;)
Give it 24hrs in there and then give it another try. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:07 am

Assuming that it is condensation, the question is where are you storing it so that condensation can occur? If it's kept in a warm room, then it's unlikely to get any condensation on it. If a cold room, then into the warm, then yes, condensation is quite likely.

Is it kept in a smoking environment? Bad for mics (and bad for you). Or lots of scented candles? These can leave oily films.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby jimh76 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:46 am

None of the above.

I keep but my mics go a case I bought from Jessops year's ago where you cut out the foam and then store this under my desk in my studio (or front room as my wife likes to call it). Probably not condensation then? We are both non smokers (which is handy when it comes to selling things on). Anyway, it's currently sitting in my airing cupboard at home in a sock (which looked like something in a prison movie when I walked across the landing with it this morning) :?

Anyway, if it it dirt, any tips on how to clean it (camera lens brush?) I've already had it open to check before to see if there was anything obvious before I doted out it might be dust etc..

Cheers.

Jim
jimh76
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:06 am

I'd wait and see of it gets better after a gentle drying before attempting a clean.

Capsule diaphragms can be cleaned VERY gently with de-ionised water and a fine brush, and then dried thoroughly... but it is a skilled job and damage is highly likely if you're not extremely careful. Dust and dirt around the front end of the impedance converter circuitry can have the same effect.

Diaphragms can get dirty if the mic is used as a close vocal mic without a pop-screen -- moisture and food debris from the mouth splatter through the grille, and then act to trap atmospheric moisture and generally create a leakage path for the charge built-up in the capsule.

To be honest, if it is a dirty capsule, cleaning is unlikely to provide a long term solution -- a new capsule is almost always a better bet, but only if the economics justify it which they probably won't in an old NT2... unless you're into microphone DIY and want the experience of swapping capsules!

The other possibility is a failure of the electronics in some way -- failing electrolytic capacitors is a strong possibility, or failure of the front-end FET -- they can often go noisy with age. If drying out doesn't help, this is probably the most likely cause.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby jimh76 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:37 am

Thanks Hugh.

I'll see if the drying helps.

I ain't going to touch no diaphragm. I do soldering for mic leads in my workshop (or "kitchen" as my wife insists on calling it), but that's as far as my tampering goes.

I'll possibly make some money back if I sell as possibly faulty to some tech geek, so not all lost.

Will see what it's like in a couple of days. If not, I can always keep it in the sock and use it as a weapon if ever sent to prison for a crime I didn't commit......

Cheers,

Jim.
jimh76
Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:28 pm

The drying trick can be very effective. When I bought my brand-new pair of KM184s I plugged them in and they crackled like nobody's business. I nearly panicked. Fortunately common sense intervened and I gave them a couple of days in the airing cupboard and they've never given trouble since.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
For more information please re-read.