You are here

Searching for that dreamy creamy compressor?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Searching for that dreamy creamy compressor?

Postby Arpangel » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:18 am

DC-Choppah wrote:Tape?

I believe all the records listed used tape for multi-tracking and mixing down, etc.

A good tape emulator?

I always note that I like the sound of my old tapes played on a quality machine. Has a certain sound.

Yes, I'm thinking that too.
"So" is a great album, but the recording quallity makes me cringe, the worst track sonically is "Sledge Hammer" hard as glass, and compressed to hell. If it was recorded on analogue fine, it must be other things that make it sound bad.
A lot of what I like about the sound I'm trying to describe is in the bass, a very soft compressed sound. I don't want this thread to become too animated about this, I'm not doing a great job of describing what I'm hearing, I'll probably listen to a few things and stumble over it by accident.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Random Guitarist » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:57 am

James Perrett wrote:If you read the whole article you will see that they ended up running the two analogue machines in sync with the digital machine for the mixdown as some instruments sounded better coming directly from the analogue tapes. I'm not sure whether they mentioned what it was mixed down to.

Yes I got that, to me the point is that it clearly wasn't a purely tape endeavour and there were digital things going on in the background, even if they were not visible in the documentary.

Don't get me wrong, I am not anti-digital in any way. I have no desire to return to that format. But I would agree with Arpangel that there are some recordings that just have a wonderful sound to them, and So is not one of them. Great songs, great playing and arrangements, great production, but somehow the final sound is not to my taste.
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Postby DC-Choppah » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:37 pm

Tony Levin describes the Sledgehammer bass track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwVDIkC2NMw

Listen how highly compressed that sound is because of the Boss octaver OC-2 adds a synthesized sound that has a constant level.

And the pick! Now I hear it. Very unusual. Very distinctive part of the sound of that record.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:15 pm

DC-Choppah wrote:Tony Levin describes the Sledgehammer bass track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwVDIkC2NMw

Listen how highly compressed that sound is because of the Boss octaver OC-2 adds a synthesized sound that has a constant level.

And the pick! Now I hear it. Very unusual. Very distinctive part of the sound of that record.

Nice sound! I agree about the pick, although I must admit I was expecting its sharp attack to perhaps throw the octaver.

Martin
Martin Walker

Previous