You are here

Recording Guitar: Audio Interface + Guitar Multi FXs (also a AI)

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Recording Guitar: Audio Interface + Guitar Multi FXs (also a AI)

Postby kodertian » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:09 am

Hi. Suppose I'm recording the guitar sound using a software based guitar amp and cabinet simulation, eg S-Gear, the signal path is basically: Guitar to Audio Interface to PC

But, in the case of using a Hardware based Guitar Multi FXs, eg Line6 Helix Stomp, which is also an Audio Interface, should I still use the Audio Interface? or just the Line6?

I'm using an Audient ID4 interface and I do like how I can set the input levels via this interface.

And in case of using both, which one would go first:

Guitar > Audient > Line6 > PC

or

Guitar > Line6 > Audient > PC

Thanks in Advance :-)
kodertian

Re: Recording Guitar: Audio Interface + Guitar Multi FXs (also a AI)

Postby CS70 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:27 am

kodertian wrote:in the case of using a Hardware based Guitar Multi FXs, eg Line6 Helix Stomp, which is also an Audio Interface, should I still use the Audio Interface? or just the Line6?

An audio interface converts an analog signal into a digital data stream that can be used by a computer application (typically a DAW) via some sort of data connecting protocol (typically USB or Thunderbolt these days).

Some Multi FX contain already an audio interface inside - so if you decide to use that, you don't need to go thru the Audient. If the FX unit's drivers are reasonably good and you can get good latency without crashes, by using the Line6 as interface you don't do any unnecessary digital/analog and then analog/digital conversion, which is good.

However, practically it can be a little annoying to remember which interface you have enabled when doing what.. if your FX has a digital output and your Audient has a digital input, then connecting them that way you get the best of both worlds. Your interface will see the FX as a audio signal source as any other (rather than the pc seeing another computer it can talk with) but the stream will stay digital all along, avoiding unnecessary D/A and A/D conversion.

I use my Eleven Rack that way, via S/PDIF connections to my RME interface (rather than using the 11r as a interface - the drivers suck big time).

Guitar > Line6 > Audient > PC

This one.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Re: Recording Guitar: Audio Interface + Guitar Multi FXs (also a AI)

Postby kodertian » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:52 am

Wow, thanks CS70 for the detailed info. Great to know that both options are possible and also it's important to know how good/bad the audio interface from the multi-fx is. I'll definitely try all options and see which one goes best. :-)
kodertian