You are here

Can one box do it all?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Can one box do it all?

Postby saltybrian » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:18 pm

Our analogue A+H Desk is starting to show signs of age, and I'm thinking it's time for a digital desk, or box with tablet control.

I had a look over and liked the A+H QU series, and the SB seemed a good fit.

However, with a few larger band recording projects looming, it would also look like time to upgrade my recording set up. I'd like more inputs and if possible a general improvement in sound over my current interface - motu 8pre (firewire) with ADA8000.

The A+H SB, would only give me the same 16 channels ( I don't have the budget for the stage box as well), but on paper, the Soundcraft UI24R looks a good choice: those four extra mic inputs would make quite a difference live and in the studio.

Anybody care to advise whether this would be significantly worse or better than my current interface? I see it is limited to 48k, but is a significantly newer piece of kit.

Am I asking too much to do it all with one box?

Thanks for any advice
saltybrian
Regular

Re: Can one box do it all?

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:16 am

saltybrian wrote:
Am I asking too much to do it all with one box?

Thanks for any advice

I don't think so... it's a route I went down and still continue on. (I some 'record the set' stuff for subsequent incorporation of mixed songs into albums with one 'recorded live at...' track.

The key thing to consider is whether/not you're happy without physical faders. I never was entirely happy with the box plus tablet approach.

Without going through the whole range of systems that are available I'd suggest you have a look at: https://www.qsc.com/live-sound/products/touchmix-mixers/touchmix-30-pro/

A few of us here have/had this or its smaller siblings and are very pleased with both it's performance and usability.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby saltybrian » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:42 pm

Thanks Mike,

I had a quick go ( we were performing but the engineer needed a hand with a couple of our channels) on one of these (I think it was the 16) earlier on the summer. Its spec was fairly impressive although I found the touchscreen quite fiddly - don't think I clocked that I could have used the wheel on the right for movement!

The 30 looks good indeed, but is quite a jump from the price point of the Soundcraft I cited in my first post. I don't think the 8 or 16 work as interfaces, if I'm reading the specs correctly. Although I didn't mention initially, portability is also a big plus in my considerations and it's quite a bit bulkier than the box only type mixers.

Has anyone had experience of the Soundcraft (or something of similar spec/price) as an interface, and whether it would be an improvement over my current motu 8pre/ada8000 set up?

Cheers
saltybrian
Regular

Postby Watchmaker » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:02 pm

You might want to look at Presonus and Yamaha. I recently bought an MGP16x for reinforcement and it's great. No complaints. I used to have a Presonus Studio Live mixer (gen1) which was nice but sold it as I needed money for a studio based system, as opposed to live.

It's a bit tricky to get a decent live board to play well with DAWS so the recording bit suffers if you go that route. Presonus has excellent channel strip functionality.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:16 pm

Watchmaker wrote:It's a bit tricky to get a decent live board to play well with DAWS so the recording bit suffers if you go that route.

I use a Berry X32 Compact in the Studio and the same desk plus an X32 Rack live (until I pretty much retired that is). TBF I'm not a Reaper 'power user' and use it pretty much as a digital tape recorder but it integrates well with the X32 and can be controlled by the physical faders and such.

Whether you consider the X32 to be a 'decent live board' is a matter of experience and opinion but, FWIW, I do.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Ramirez » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:52 pm

I have a Soundcraft UI24R and I like it a lot. I’ve used it often for all the scenarios you’ve described, and its done a great job everytime.

The only things that let it down for me is, firstly, the onboard wifi is a bit hit or miss, so you might need to use a better router with it. Not everyone seems to have problems with it though. I usually use mine hardwired via Cat5 to my Surface Pro, and that’s been rock solid each and every time.

Secondly, the 48kHz-only operation is just plain stupid.

It may or may not be a concern that the team that developed the UI24R have now left Harman/Soundcraft. There is hope that the same team are developing hardware add ons that work with the UI24R - have already released a rather handy headphone amp/talkback mic/cat5 extender box that works nicely, allowing you to have headphones, talkback and a hardwired connection at a different location to the the mixer (eg front of house mixing position at a gig)

Aled
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz