You are here

Roland SPDS-SX vs Yamaha DTX Multi 12 for live use?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Roland SPDS-SX vs Yamaha DTX Multi 12 for live use?

Postby Scottdru » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:41 am

So . . . looking at MIDI drum sampling pads augmenting my drum kit in a live setting (primarily). I have a cheap and cheerful Alesis Samplepad Pro (just got, but within return window), but thinking about bumping up to something with a little more capability (potentially getting something second hand), and wondering if anyone in here has any experience/thoughts.

My biggest need is for live work, and I need to have a range of sound sets/kits and the ability to make new custom kits quickly and easily, as I sometimes get calls to do different covers at last minute (sometimes weekly) for a wedding band organization that may need different sound sets. Thinking about the Roland SPDS-SX vs possibly the Yamaha DTX Multi 12. The Yamaha seems to have some interesting features and more options for external pads/HH controller, etc. than the Roland. But I'm getting the sense the menus and kit creation, etc are more fiddly and time consuming on the Yamaha than the Roland. Anybody offer any thoughts on this for live drum kit augmentation?

At some point I look to be doing live loops and drums solo or duo gigs, so I also want things to be quick and easy to change up.
Scottdru
Frequent Poster
Scott --Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

Re: Roland SPDS-SX vs Yamaha DTX Multi 12 for live use?

Postby Lodious » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:48 pm

I dunno if I can really help with this, but I've just bought a Alesis Strike Multipad, which seems OK. I don't think it's quite as well built as the Rolands, but it does have 32gb of memory. So far, i'm pleased with it.

Might be worth considering? It was positively reviewed in SOS recently.
Lodious
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:33 pm

The SPD-S is cheap now as it doesn't have the processing of the SX, it can take a moderately decent sized CF card (70MB IIRC) and has internal memory. Samples can be short drum hits or quite long sequences so it's pretty versatile.

Mine has developed an intermittent fault with the pads though and his awaiting repair.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:44 am

SPD-SX or DTX Multi-12 Electronic Drums. ... elaborate and difficult Yamaha, and the limited storage on the Yamaha vs the Roland. ... Is anyone out there using an SPD-SX as a sample trigger for percussion sounds in live

Postby Scottdru » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:56 am

Thanks for the replies, all. I ended up with the DTX, as I found a great price on one second hand, and it actually has most of the sounds I will need on it already without me needing to load in samples, and I love the versatility all around. Very powerful piece of kit.
Scottdru
Frequent Poster
Scott --Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?