You are here

Linn LM-1 classic drum machine ( what do you suggest to me ? )

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Linn LM-1 classic drum machine ( what do you suggest to me ? )

Postby mammy » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:17 pm

like the everybody ı love classic analog gears so ı searched on the ınternet and found linn lm 1 drum machine. should ı buy it or not ? if you say yes or no and why ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofKyPTXt5co
mammy
Regular

Re: Linn LM-1 classic drum machine ( what do you suggest to me ? )

Postby Dan LB » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:42 pm

I just use some of the many samples available of it - after all it's only playing back samples itself!
I wouldn't bother buying one, but if you have loads of spare cash then go ahead :D

If you like the LinnDrum you'll probably like the Oberheim DMX and Sequential Circuits Drumtraks too. :thumbup:
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby mammy » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:33 pm

Thank you Mr. Dan but ı hate from samples .when everyone tells me use sample ı think that sample sounds are waste .you may be right but sample sounds dont satisfy me.Thank you very much .
mammy
Regular

Postby MOF » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:02 am

ı hate from samples .when everyone tells me use sample ı think that sample sounds are waste .you may be right but sample sounds dont satisfy me.
I can’t see how buying the real thing will improve matters, except psychologically and the tactile factor. I had a Sequential Circuits Drumtraks and happily use samples if I need that vintage 8 bit sound.
MOF
Regular

Postby Dan LB » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:22 am

mammy wrote:Thank you Mr. Dan but ı hate from samples .when everyone tells me use sample ı think that sample sounds are waste .you may be right but sample sounds dont satisfy me.Thank you very much .

The sounds that you hear from the Linn LM-1 are samples!!

The Linn drum machines are digital and playback 8bit samples
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby resistorman » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:45 am

It sounds like your mind is already made up. Don’t know why you asked for opinions. Buy it.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby mammy » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:58 am

Yes Mr. Dan you're absolutely right. .ı understood that ı love the old gears .that's all.Thank you Mr. Dan. ı did not wanna break your heart .ı apologise Mr. Dan.
mammy
Regular

Postby Stratman57 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:07 am

Out of curiosity, why are the capital I's in your posts so small?

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular

Postby Dave B » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:36 pm

No. Don’t buy it. Why? Ok ... let’s look at this ...

When you buy any old gear, you are spending money on nostalgia. I’m terrible for it and over the years I’ve had all sorts of classic kit. And it was great. But, values an fluctuate greatly depending on what is in fashion. If you get an LM -1 with midi, then it is potentially “not authentic”. Get one without and you need additional gear to sync it which is all annoying to work with. The components will have done well to last this long, but some will fail and need replacing. Which is time and money. And if it’s a component on the panel then a modern replacement is “not authentic”. Buying one remotely is leaving yourself open to be conned. Ditto selling it. You could say that you like the swing on it - but there are modern, better built units with the same / better swing.

So you would be spending your cash on something which will probably go wrong, probably lose money, has high “rip off” potential (“well it didn’t do that when I sold it - you must have broken it / I don’t care what the courrier says, I didn’t receive it”), will be a pain to integrate into the rest of your kit and has limited use / functionality.

If that still doesn’t put you off then yes - get a bit of nostalgia just so you can say “I have an LM-1”. For a time I could say “I have a Fairlight” but, whilst I loved it to bits, it was a beast that drove me mad as much as it gave me joy.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby mammy » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:10 pm

Than you very much Mr. Dave .You tell me the truth .You're right.Now I'm agree with you.Thank you for your comments Mr. Dave.
mammy
Regular

Postby MOF » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:31 pm

Out of curiosity, why are the capital I's in your posts so small?

I wondered that too.

If the question had been about a TR808 then that might have had a different answer because it’s analogue. Personally I’d still prefer software.
MOF
Regular

Postby Stratman57 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:47 pm

Mof, I'm glad it wasn't just me. :) Although in Mammy's last post the "I" was the right size in I'm.

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular

Postby mammy » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:54 pm

Because ı dont use capslock button but ı will write a big one for you . ''I'' :mrgreen:
mammy
Regular

Postby MOF » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:16 am

Because ı dont use capslock button but ı will write a big one for you . ''I'' :mrgreen:

I’m still confused since your lower case i doesn’t have a dot above it.
MOF
Regular

Postby mammy » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:43 am

This is for you Mr. Dof. iiiiiiiiiiiiiii :bouncy:
mammy
Regular

Postby Dave B » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:45 am

mammy wrote:Than you very much Mr. Dave .You tell me the truth .You're right.Now I'm agree with you.Thank you for your comments Mr. Dave.

Please bear in mind that this is my head talking and, traditionally, my heart has full access and control of my wallet / bank account... ;)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Steve A » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:47 pm

The LM-1 is one of those drum machines where simply using samples doesn't cut it. If you really want to get it sounding like it sounded on the classic records of the time, you need the ability to do things like detune the sounds like the original hardware did (i.e. with all the technical flaws, not the same way that today's super hi quality sampler programs do) and replicate things like how the open hi-hat is actually a loop of the closed hi-hat sound and the unique way you extend the release of the hi-hat sounds. The other thing to watch for is the accidental slight delay built into in the snare sample which often gets trimmed off in sample libraries but is an essential element in recreating the reknowed feel/swing of the original.

That said, I agree with all the justifications given for not going for the real thing. So, all that being the case, can I recommend you look at VPROM by Aly James (http://www.alyjameslab.com/alyjameslabvlinn.html) which I have been using for some time to create authentic LM-1 drum tracks and whilst I understand why you don't like samples, as an emulation of the original hardware playing back the original e-proms, this is perhaps a compromise that could work for you.
Steve A
Regular

Postby MOF » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:55 pm

This is for you Mr. Dof. iiiiiiiiiiiiiii :bouncy:
It's MOF, but mammy you've just shown me that you can do what I was expecting but not explained how you got a dotless lower case i. :?
MOF
Regular

Postby Logarhythm » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:18 pm

ı thınk that typıng Alt+213 wıll make you happy ;)

Can't remember which language(s)/alphabet(s) it is actually part of, but I see it in documents at work occasionally - possibly Turkish?
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:10 pm

Logarhythm wrote:Can't remember which language(s)/alphabet(s) it is actually part of, but I see it in documents at work occasionally - possibly Turkish?

Good guess -- Mammy was posting from a Turkish ISP.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Next