You are here

Linn LM-1 classic drum machine ( what do you suggest to me ? )

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Linn LM-1 classic drum machine ( what do you suggest to me ? )

Postby MOF » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:02 pm

you need the ability to do things like detune the sounds like the original hardware did (i.e. with all the technical flaws, not the same way that today's super hi quality sampler programs do) and replicate things like how the open hi-hat is actually a loop of the closed hi-hat sound and the unique way you extend the release of the hi-hat sounds. The other thing to watch for is the accidental slight delay built into in the snare sample which often gets trimmed off in sample libraries but is an essential element in recreating the reknowed feel/swing of the original.

Changing pitch is just how quickly or slowly you play back the sample, I don’t recall any tuning issues on those early samplers and it would be even less of a perceived problem on something that doesn’t last for very long.
If the samples have been taken from an original machine then the open hi hat will be as per the original and won’t need any clever programming to emulate the original.
If you’re right about the snare sample it will sound late when used normally and only sound right when used when you need ‘feel/swing’, I think most people would prefer an accurate start point for a sample than a historically accurate one.
MOF
Regular

Postby Steve A » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:11 pm

The point I'm making is that to get the full variety of sounds from the LM1 you need the ability to tune them up or down and if you simply tune a sample up and down in a modern day sampler it won't sound close to how it sounds when the real LM1 or an emulation of its primitive sample replay technology does. Unless you have a sample library of every possible tuning setting of course.

None of this matters of course if you just want the stock bread and butter sounds at their native playback pitch, but if you want them because you want to make your track sound like it has a real LM1 playing on it, then these subtle differences certainly make a difference to my ear.

My source for the information I was quoting is the VPROM manual itself which describes in some detail the technical details of the emulation and is an interesting insight into why classic machines like this have a certain 'je ne sais quoi' about them which is often hard to recapture without the hardware itself.
Steve A
Regular

Postby MOF » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:42 pm

if you simply tune a sample up and down in a modern day sampler it won't sound close to how it sounds when the real LM1 or an emulation of its primitive sample replay technology does

I understood your point and I’m questioning if there’s any difference between altering the rate at which you play back the sample in an old drum machine or a modern sampler. Both use the same system i.e. a replay clock determines how quickly or slowly the samples are played back.
The 8 bit nature of the A to D and D to A have been captured and now all you have to do is pitch bend it.
An analogy would be UAD’s AMS RMX 16 reverb, they used the original algorithms (the sample) and modelled the convertors (12 bit A-D, D-A) and then that is all heard through modern hi-res D-As. I’ve not read any negative reviews about its authenticity.
The first version didn’t have any filters so there’s no need to model them.
MOF
Regular

Previous