You are here

Is my Signal Flow Correct? Please Help!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Is my Signal Flow Correct? Please Help!

Postby ForeignFaraz » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:20 pm

Hello guys! There is a lot of intelligent and experienced folks on here hopefully I can get some help, my signal chain is a Neumann TLM 49 > Warm Audio 1176 Clone > Warm Audio Pultec EQ Clone > Warm Audio WA12 > then finally into the Converter which is a Universal Audio Apollo Twin!

Now here is my problem, I know i’m suppose to use the Line Input on the Apollo to bypass the Pre’s with a Balanced TRs but I do not get any signal when i do that, even tho i’m using a Balanced TRS into the line input of the twin! I’m not sure if it’s because i’m using a analog Eq & Compressor going in?

But what I have been doing is setting the apollo on Mic Channel 1 not Line Input because that is the only way i get any type of signal coming in on the Twin even tho i’m plugged into the the Line input with a TRS like i’m suppose to but Turning the Gain all the way down on the mic channel 1 and controlling gain levels with the Warm audio Pre, Does this work too because the sound that i’m getting is very good and i’m able to use the compressor and eq!

I just want to make sure i’m not doing anything incorrect and i’m getting the best sound possible ! So if the signal flow is correct why am i not getting any signal when in Line Input on the apollo But i am in mic channel one even tho i’m using a TRS into Line Input on the back of the Apollo! I will very appreciate any help to help further my future in this career!

Thank you guys you are life savers on here!
ForeignFaraz

Re: Is my Signal Flow Correct? Please Help!

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:27 pm

Hi ForeignFaraz,

I split your single slab of text into several paragraphs, as this makes the post much easier to read, so in turn you're far more likely to get answers ;)

Hope you don't mind!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby MOF » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:26 am

Neumann TLM 49 > Warm Audio 1176 Clone > Warm Audio Pultec EQ Clone > Warm Audio WA12 > then finally into the Converter which is a Universal Audio Apollo Twin!

It should be Neumann TLM 49 > Warm Audio WA12 > Warm Audio 1176 Clone > Warm Audio Pultec EQ Clone then finally into the Apollo Twin at line level.
You can swap the compressor and eq if you like.
You have to get the mic’ to line level before it can work with the compressor and eq’s line level inputs.
I don’t know how you’re getting any signal when you use your signal chain into the Apollo mic’ input because the compressor and eq won’t pass phantom power back to the mic’ anymore than it would your WA12, I wouldn’t have thought.
MOF
Regular

Postby MOF » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:08 pm

Did you sort out your problems?
MOF
Regular

Postby Exalted Wombat » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:20 pm

Isn't there a mic input on the Apollo? Why not record straight into that and worry about processing later, IF it seems necessary? It might well not be.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby MOF » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:51 am

Looks like a time waster here, our time that is.
MOF
Regular