You are here

Small format mixer with aux

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Small format mixer with aux

Postby baward » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:57 pm

Hi,

I am on the hunt for a small mixer (about 8 inputs), with a stereo aux send/return (into which I'd connect my stereo spring reverb) and have been looking at the Mackie 1202VLZ4. Ironically I used to have the first iteration of 1202VLZ, but sold it a few years back, never thinking I'd need it...

Are there ay other recommendations? I would want to spend no more than about £250.
Thanks!
baward
Regular

Re: Small format mixer with aux

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:01 pm

The Mackie 1202 is a decent little mixer, as is the Allan & Heath Zed 12/14 or WHY but boy don't get stereo sends.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Jorge » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:53 pm

https://www.midasconsoles.com/Categorie ... rans(en|en)
I have been using the Midas DM12 (8 mic pres no FX) in my rehearsal studio for over a year and it is my favorite so far. It sounds better than the old Mackie VLX1202 and 1402 I had used previously, on par with the Zed10FX, Midas MR12 and an old MixWiz 14:4:2 I had also tried. I liked the Midas MR12 a little better for its great flexibility of routing but replaced it with the DM12 because I prefer real faders and instant on, no hassle startup to all the digital connection rigamarole and virtual faders of the MR12.
Routing on the DM12 is more flexible than on the Zed. The DM12 has 2 full auxes, with pre/post fader switches, and mono inserts at the channel and main out levels. Disclaimer - I use the auxes for a second set of monitors and have never tried them for FX. All channels have mute buttons but no mute LEDs.
The price is amazingly low for the sound and function but the build quality looks from the outside more like Behringer than Midas. So far so good though, and the (lack of) sound of the DM12 is noticeably better than that of the current price/size/flexibility competition I have tried.
Jorge
Regular

Postby baward » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:47 pm

Thanks guys. I am now starting to look at rack mixers to save further desk space, although it's hard to find one with an efx send or two. I have now come across this: http://www.samsontech.com/samson/produc ... ries/sm10/ which actually fits the bill quite nicely.
baward
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:46 am

I like the SM10. It's a decent and quite versatile line mixer.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:14 pm

If you use the Alt Out on the small Mackies it cuts off your sends. This can be very annoying, in certain circumstances. Just thought I'd mention it.
BTW, as Hugh says, SM10 is a good option.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster