You are here

CHANDLER LIMITED REDD.47 Mic Amplifier (Is that necessary for vocal recording ? )

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

CHANDLER LIMITED REDD.47 Mic Amplifier (Is that necessary for vocal recording ? )

Postby mammy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:52 pm

Im searching a mic amplifier .ı wanna buy redd 47 for vocal recording .According to you redd 47 is expensive and necessary to buy ? I want very clean vocal records .what do you think ?
should ı look at the other brands ?

Notice : I wanna buy a tube circuit preamp.
mammy
Regular

Re: CHANDLER LIMITED REDD.47 Mic Amplifier (Is that necessary for vocal recording ? )

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:55 pm

I'm a live guy not a recording expert but immediately spotted a flaw in you reasoning, Valves/Tubes are are almost always used to introduce 'colour' but you want "very clean vocal records" which implies you don't want/need 'colour'. So I'd say "no it is not necessary for the kind of vocal recording you say you want".

Also, how well is your room treated?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: CHANDLER LIMITED REDD.47 Mic Amplifier (Is that necessary for vocal recording ? )

Postby mammy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:03 pm

Thank you Mr. Sam .
mammy
Regular

Postby mammy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:42 pm

Mr. Sam you said that ''colour '' . Can you explain what kind of colour is it or what does colour mean ?
mammy
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:45 pm

For vocal recording the most important things are (in order of importance):

1. A great vocal performance
2. A well treated room
3. A microphone that suits the voice

Mic preamps and other electronic gear are way down the list of importance and you'll probably find that the mic preamp in your audio interface will work fine. I'd only start worrying about preamps once you had acoustically treated your room and invested in a good microphone - and only then if there was a problem like noise or lack of headroom with my current preamp.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby CS70 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:03 pm

mammy wrote:Mr. Sam you said that ''colour '' . Can you explain what kind of colour is it or what does colour mean ?

What James says.

However, since you ask.

A modern preamp used well within its headroom characteristics (the range of gain levels it's expected to receive and output) is gonna be very "transparent", and you will find little difference, if any, between run-of-the-mill preamps like the ones in computer audio interfaces and much more expensive ones.

Noise and distortion - i.e. changes in the "shape" of the voltage you send in input via the microphone - will be low, and the signal will come out pretty much as it comes out of the microphone (only, of course at higher voltage level, that is - amplified). Modern preamps, even budget, are very hi-fi (i.e. the output is very true to the input signal) when used sensibly.

However, if you move towards and beyond the edges of the preamp's expected performance envelope (for example - cranking the gain to the top while using a microphone which emits a fat signal level, overdriving some part of the circuit) - all preamps will progressively distort and add noise..

This is called "color", and it's quite different for different preamps, because you're basically using the electronic design outside its expected operating parameters, and all designs will react in their own ways. Some of the designs will color the signal in a way that it (subjectively) becomes crappy; others, will actually add something that most people like (a bit like some cranked guitar amp distorts the guitar signal but still produces a sound which people like).

Guess what: the "famous" (and famously expensive) preamps are the ones which color the signal in a nice way: ISA, APIs, Daking etc.. Whereas most (not all) cheaper preamps, when used outside the expected parameters (e.g. cranked), will color (i.e. distort) the signal it in a not so nice way.

Keep in mind that most preamps producers (especially the uber-expensive) try very hard to keep the signal unchanged at all times - which is a difficult and expensive thing to do! Millennia, Grace and other manufacturers are known for their extreme transparency and cleanliness (i.e. lack of distortion and noise).

Note also that it's not so that all tube preamps color nicely and all solid state don't: there's all kinds in both classes.

So it makes little sense to buy an expensive preamp and use it within parameters: you buy it for the "color" that it provides when cranked.

This in turn comes with a set of issues (you usually get a very hot signal doing that, which you need to pad down lest you exceed the headroom of the A/D converters that follow... unless of course you buy very expensive A/D converters with lots of headroom - and so the money flows.. :-D).

These days, you can well record very hi-fi and add the pleasant distortion after the fact via plugins. It's much easier, cheaper, and generally gives the same results - nobody can notice the difference if they don't know already..

However, hardware is fun, and that's the main reason for having it. The secondary reason is that it allows you to hear the "final" signal in your headphones when you record, that may be a nice thing.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby mammy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:39 pm

Thank you Mr. CS70 .You wrote an article for me .That was very helpful and full of information.I give you a gold medal Mr. CS70.
mammy
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:56 pm

James Perrett wrote:For vocal recording the most important things are (in order of importance):

1. A great vocal performance
2. A well treated room
3. A microphone that suits the voice

Mic preamps and other electronic gear are way down the list of importance and you'll probably find that the mic preamp in your audio interface will work fine. I'd only start worrying about preamps once you had acoustically treated your room and invested in a good microphone - and only then if there was a problem like noise or lack of headroom with my current preamp.

#mammy... please don't ignore this.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........