You are here

how can i keep fx return out of a monitor mix when input not sent to that mix

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

how can i keep fx return out of a monitor mix when input not sent to that mix

Postby hooty2 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:37 am

Hi all,
Problem using Si Expression 2 in recording/monitor set up.
i've been going round in circles with this and the manual info is not registering with my mind.

I'm sending headphone mixes to two singers. I'm monitoring the separate mixes with the desk output headphones monitor.
(signals split: to Si Expression as monitor desk & to Recording rig [preamps/rme/reaper]
(i don't wish to use 'totalmix' as i want hands on experience using the exp2)

Specifically: I can hear the effected signal of a mic input in a mono mix even when the fader of that channel is not raised on the relevant mono mix layer.
If that channel is then raised, the input signal is properly heard and mixed with the fx. This is a problem if an artist does not want e.g. another mic input in his mix but does want ‘their ’own fx’d signal in their monitor/headphone mix, & he/she hears the fx return from the other mic as a ghost in their own mix
Scenario:
X2 mic inputs (input 1 & 2) main faders on input/layer ‘A’ at ‘0’
Fx 1 set as reverb - Faders 1 & 2 on FX layer 1 raised
FX return 1 on layer ‘B’ raised
As heard on main mix headphones (in this case/L/R main outs not used), inputs 1 & 2 are now fx’d with reverb
2 monitor mixes are sent to headphone amp’ for 2 musicians

Mix 1 activated (amber/prefader mode – green/postfader same issue)
Mix 1/Fader 1 raised
&
Fader fx 1 (reverb/as designated by me) on layer ‘B’ to fx to mono mix 1 (on mono out 1 to headphone amp)
Fx’d signal ok
Fader 2 (mic 2) on mono mix 1 is not raised
??? however, on mono mix 1, channel 2/mic 2, the reverb only/no direct input signal, is heard in the headphones of mix 1…* fader to send mic 2 to mix 1 is not raised, but an fx’d return only sound is heard as an unwanted ‘ghost’
How can I stop the reverb only sound being heard in a monitor mix when the send fader relating to that channel is not raised?

Do i need to use a separate fx for each mic input, although the fx settings will be the same.

What am i missing here.

Any restoration of sanity will be most welcome....even if the conclusion that i'm being a bit dumb here!
hooty2
Regular

Re: how can i keep fx return out of a monitor mix when input not sent to that mix

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:44 am

hooty2 wrote:Specifically: I can hear the effected signal of a mic input in a mono mix even when the fader of that channel is not raised on the relevant mono mix layer.

Most likely, you're sending the FX signal from that channel using a pre-fade send, rather than post-fade.

This is a problem if an artist does not want e.g. another mic input in his mix but does want ‘their ’own fx’d signal in their monitor/headphone mix, & he/she hears the fx return from the other mic as a ghost in their own mix

The only way around that is to have separate FX processors for the different vocalists. If they're sharing a common reverb processor, for example, the reverb output will always contain the effected combination of all sources feeding that reverb.

Do i need to use a separate fx for each mic input, although the fx settings will be the same.

yes.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: how can i keep fx return out of a monitor mix when input not sent to that mix

Postby hooty2 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:23 am

Hugh,
Many thanks.
Did post thanks earlier, but seem to have gone awol.
May reappear, but to be sure I'm reposting
Cheers
hooty2
Regular