You are here

Small format digital mixer?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Small format digital mixer?

Postby Arpangel » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:53 am

I've decided this is the way to go after much experimentation and posts here.
It'll enable me to consolidate a lot of space hungry hardware, it'll be my interface, effects etc, and also, maybe a recorder. It just makes so much sense to me. This has nothing to do with with uncertainty about actually making music, it's a basic streamlining and making things more compact, therefore a quicker, more immediate workflow owing to templates etc.
There are certain things I'm sure about, about my choice, I don't want an i Pad controlled ultra compact mixer, it's not appealing, I need a traditional style desktop mixer with all controls, but I need the smallest one I can find, I haven't done a lot of reasearch, up to now, but maybe some folks could point me in the right direction.
This has been on the cards for a long time, and I've actually got to do something about it.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Re: Small format digital mixer?

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:31 am

Behringer X32 Producer or A&H Qu16.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Arpangel » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:29 am

Sam Spoons wrote:Behringer X32 Producer or A&H Qu16.

Ha Ha! Like......you've just confirmed the first SOS rule, and confirmed my choices, I guess that's that then!

:thumbup:
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:06 am

I can't think of anything smaller that has faders, pretty sure Presonus do one that is the same size and Yamaha do a couple of rack mountable (01V96i and DM1000) mixers but I don't know much about those.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:07 am

With the guys' help here I opted for an RME MADIFace XT and a pair of Ferrofish A32s. 64 inputs from 3U of rack space, with the option to go up to 196 inputs - and the fabulous TotalMix to route anything to anywhere. Who needs faders?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:24 am

Well if you want small as possible, there's always this:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_t.mix_dm_20.htm also known as the Studiomaster Digilive 16

Extended video review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL6CPL8atK4
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:50 am

That looks like it could possibly be a replacement for my DL1608 at some point. There's a review of the Studiomaster in the May 2017 edition of the Mag https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/studiomaster-digilive-16

The Thomann version doesn't appear to have physical gain controls which the Studiomaster does, a bad move on Studiomaster's part IMHO which would lean me towards the T-Mix (which presumable has recallable gains).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Zukan » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:53 am

The Elf wrote:With the guys' help here I opted for an RME MADIFace XT and a pair of Ferrofish A32s. 64 inputs from 3U of rack space, with the option to go up to 196 inputs - and the fabulous TotalMix to route anything to anywhere. Who needs faders?

Good Lord, you recording a country?

Actually, almost all jests aside, how are you getting on with this combo P?
Zukan

Postby Arpangel » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:55 am

Mike Stranks wrote:Well if you want small as possible, there's always this:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_t.mix_dm_20.htm also known as the Studiomaster Digilive 16

Looks good initially, but it's not an interface, I was hoping to incorporate that in my mixer, and have multitrack access.
It's a good compromise I think, but maybe a bit limited digitally. I think Paul White said it was rather complicated, and cheaper easier to use alternatives could be considered.
But there's no doubt, it's compact! and it would do all I need, shame it hasn't got a multitrack interface.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:58 pm

Zukan wrote:
The Elf wrote:With the guys' help here I opted for an RME MADIFace XT and a pair of Ferrofish A32s. 64 inputs from 3U of rack space, with the option to go up to 196 inputs - and the fabulous TotalMix to route anything to anywhere. Who needs faders?
Good Lord, you recording a country?
Think of those 64 mono inputs as 32 stereo inputs, then imagine a few synths, modules and external effects processors, and... it's surprising how quickly those 64 inputs disappear!

Zukan wrote:Actually, almost all jests aside, how are you getting on with this combo?
Abolutely rock solid - set it all up and then forget it exists - that's my kind of gear!

I perhaps pulled the trigger slightly too early, and if was taking another run at it I'd probably go Dante. RME's Dante interface was announced about a week after I'd set my MADI system up - sometimes it just goes that way. For me it's all about TotalMix - never want to work with an interface now that doesn't have that!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:02 pm

Arpangel wrote:

Looks good initially, but it's not an interface, I was hoping to incorporate that in my mixer, and have multitrack access.
It's a good compromise I think, but maybe a bit limited digitally. I think Paul White said it was rather complicated, and cheaper easier to use alternatives could be considered.
But there's no doubt, it's compact! and it would do all I need, shame it hasn't got a multitrack interface.

I wasn't going to mention Paul White...

I read his review carefully. His criticism seemed to be that it was different to his Mackie. Other reviewers have commented how easy it is to use.

I think for all of us if we're used to how software works then a change to a different product can leave us finding it difficult to determine between different/better/worse.

The key thing for you would be functionality. You could order from Thomann and send it back if it doesn't suit.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:54 am

Mike Stranks wrote:
Arpangel wrote:

I wasn't going to mention Paul White...

I read his review carefully. His criticism seemed to be that it was different to his Mackie. Other reviewers have commented how easy it is to use.

I think for all of us if we're used to how software works then a change to a different product can leave us finding it difficult to determine between different/better/worse.

The key thing for you would be functionality. You could order from Thomann and send it back if it doesn't suit.

Mike, correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't have an interface....right?
It'll solve my mixer/effects situation, and I take it you can save scenes and templates? which I definitely need. But I'll still have to use a seperate interface, which I was hoping not to do.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:06 pm

Arpangel wrote:
It'll solve my mixer/effects situation, and I take it you can save scenes and templates? which I definitely need. But I'll still have to use a seperate interface, which I was hoping not to do.

I don't have a clue! The only way I could answer your question would be to read the specs or look at that comprehensive video overview... but you can do that as easily as me. Cut-out the middle-man! :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:11 am

Mike Stranks wrote:
Arpangel wrote:

I don't have a clue! The only way I could answer your question would be to read the specs or look at that comprehensive video overview... but you can do that as easily as me. Cut-out the middle-man! :)

Mike, it isn't an interface, it only supports recording to a memory stick.
The Behringer Producer is a bit smaller than the A&H, but I'm going to mount it vertically, so may be able to go a bit larger/deeper.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster