You are here

MAC (10.14) and AVB

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

MAC (10.14) and AVB

Postby jodaki » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:40 pm

Hi,
Does anyone know:

1. if I connect an AVB equipped RME converter (or another 16 or 32 channel converter) directly to the ethernet port on my mac, whether it will show up as an audio device that I can use in Logic Pro?

2. Is this a normal way to use the converter, or is it better to use an AVB enabled thunderbolt or USB interface in between?

thanks.
jodaki
Poster

Re: MAC (10.14) and AVB

Postby cyrano.mac » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:58 pm

It's as simple as that.

If you have a suitable ethernet port, an AVB equipped box will show up as any other interface, to be used in Logic.

USB to AVB converters are useful in the case the ethernet port can't handle AVB. If it's an older one, it doesn't support the QOS settings (Quality of service) needed for AVB. Most Macs do have the right ports. Butttt.... Very recent MB Pro's don't have ethernet. For those you'll need a USB-C to Ethernet adapter.

I haven't tested these adapters yet. Another thing for the ever growing to-do list. :crazy:
cyrano.mac
Regular

Postby jodaki » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:41 pm

Thanks for the reply. As you can tell, I'm new to networking audio. My iMac has a GB ethernet port so I could go down this route. In fact Im thinking I might have to go down this route as (annoyingly) all the interfaces I have found are just 6-8 channels short of the amount of line/mic/adat I/O I want. I dont need masses - 32 in 16 out should give me enough for tracks and AUX.

Do you mind if I also ask about latency? - Ive seen some incredibly low latency figures from manufacturers (cant remember who, MOTU or RME I think) but I think they were talking about speed around the network between nodes - not latency as a DAW might report it complete with buffer delays etc. I cant find any info about that sort of latency.

So do you know how AVB (perhaps this applies to Dante too) compares with USB 3 and Thunderbolt in that respect?
jodaki
Poster

Postby cyrano.mac » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:56 pm

Don't worry about latency. It's generally lower with network audio than with USB or FW. The only thing that might be a tiny bit better, is PCIe.

Besides, your computer (and the software, mainly the driver for the audio interface) will determine latency more than the connection used.

That's what I like most about RME: their software. I've never known any other company to reach RME's levels for stability and longevity.
cyrano.mac
Regular

Postby jodaki » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:46 pm

Thanks again Cyrano. I have actually just today found an interface with the I/O count I am looking for (antelope audio Orion 32HD Gen3) which is a fair bit cheaper than the RME 32+ I was considering. The Orion has Madi rather than AVB or Dante. I hear that MADI has been around for a while so I'm not sure if Id be buying into a moribund technology but the connection, audio and converter specs of the model seem superb.
jodaki
Poster

Postby cyrano.mac » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:09 am

You still need to add a MADI interface to the computer...

My favourite budget setup with lots of channels is an RME digiface USB (350€) with up to four ADAT boxes (Behringer ADA8000 or 8200, Focusrite Octopre, Ferrofish, Audient...).

32 in + 32 out for less than 750€ if you count 2nd hand ADA8000s.
cyrano.mac
Regular