You are here

I need home recording equipments

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

I need home recording equipments

Postby mammy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:10 pm

I like singing song at home with my guitar and harmonica. I would like to share it in the internet platforms like SoundCloud or YouTube. I need equipments to sing (microphone) and Record. What do you advise for me for singing and recorging equipments? My budget is very limited. Up up to 500 usd. Thank you.
mammy
Regular

Re: I need home recording equipments

Postby blinddrew » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:10 pm

Fundamentally you need an interface, a microphone (+ stand and cable), headphones and DAW software.
Look for an interface with two microphone preamps and, ideally, midi input as well. Find one with the features you need in the price you can afford and don't worry much about brand/manufacturer; at the budget end they're all very similar.
Microphones are more tricky, especially if you're looking to record voice so ideally find somewhere to try a couple out. Within your budget you might be able to find a budget (but still reasonable) Large Diaphragm Capacitor (LDC) mic or a good quality dynamic.
For headphones, in the longer term you'll probably want a good set of open-back ones, but if you only have one set then closed-back will be better for recording.
In the UK you'd be able to put together a package a bit like this:
https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-an ... rface/1WMX
https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Li ... ophone/1VL
https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-an ... 50-Ohm/8GU
Plus a mic cable and stand, for about £450-£500
If that's stretching it too far it would be worth looking at something like https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Li ... ophone/RS0.
But if you start off with a good dynamic you'll probably never need to sell it.

All this will depend hugely on local prices and availability of course and is only one suggestion.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby mammy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:32 pm

Thank you Mr. Blind .How is that package ?

sound card: M-Audio M-Track 2x2

headphone :Audio Technica M20X

Midi keyboard : M-Audio Keystation Mini 32

Speaker :Mackie CR3 3"

Microphone: Rode NT1-A
mammy
Regular

Postby ef37a » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:51 pm

The Mtrack 2x2 only has one microphone input and you will curse the lack in a week. (there USED to be an M-Audio Mtrack Express AI for around $100 and that was pretty good. Seems no more)

I am of course going to suggest the NI KA6 but understand if you want to go cheaper. However a KA6 and a matched pair of the Lewitt LCT 040s that are very well thought of in the current mag; would be a very solid base to start with and around $50 inside budget. SDC mics are much more versatile around guitars e.g. and you might find a straight co-incident stereo recording gives good results?

To get everything for $500 is I think a challenge? Certainly I would forget about any kind of monitor speakers and use decent headphones for now. Perhaps you have access to a hi fi rig even a car system for speaker checks?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby MOF » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:31 am

How about a Zoom multi-track recorder, a dynamic mic’ as others have mentioned and SD card reader to transfer the finished file to your computer. Some Zoom recorders can act as your usb interface if you want to use the computer as your DAW.
MOF
Regular

Postby awjoe » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:06 am

MOF wrote:How about a Zoom multi-track recorder, a dynamic mic’ as others have mentioned and SD card reader to transfer the finished file to your computer. Some Zoom recorders can act as your usb interface if you want to use the computer as your DAW.

That's what I was thinking, but the Zoom H6 plus a dynamic mic (and stand, and cable, and SD card and maybe headphones) - in under $500 USD? Close, but no prize, I'm thinking. But worth it. Problem solved, plus mobile. But can you think of something that would work with that budget? How much does it limit mic choice? A lot, right?
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Fringe member of the Party Pooper People's Party

Postby blinddrew » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:33 am

mammy wrote:Thank you Mr. Blind .How is that package ?

sound card: M-Audio M-Track 2x2

headphone :Audio Technica M20X

Midi keyboard : M-Audio Keystation Mini 32

Speaker :Mackie CR3 3"

Microphone: Rode NT1-A

As Dave says, that set-up would work but you'd outgrow it very quickly and find yourself replacing stuff pretty quickly. I'd definitely drop the monitors for now and put that money towards an interface.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:34 am

awjoe wrote:
MOF wrote:How about a Zoom multi-track recorder, a dynamic mic’ as others have mentioned and SD card reader to transfer the finished file to your computer. Some Zoom recorders can act as your usb interface if you want to use the computer as your DAW.

That's what I was thinking, but the Zoom H6 plus a dynamic mic (and stand, and cable, and SD card and maybe headphones) - in under $500 USD? Close, but no prize, I'm thinking. But worth it. Problem solved, plus mobile. But can you think of something that would work with that budget? How much does it limit mic choice? A lot, right?

An H4n plus a dynamic and headphones might be possible in that budget - and I think the H4n works as an interface as well if I recall correctly.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:13 am

blinddrew wrote:I think the H4n works as an interface as well if I recall correctly.
You recall correctly.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby MOF » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:47 pm

That's what I was thinking, but the Zoom H6 plus a dynamic mic (and stand, and cable, and SD card and maybe headphones) - in under $500 USD? Close, but no prize, I'm thinking. But worth it.

The H4N is £185 and acts as an interface.
MOF
Regular

Postby cyrano.mac » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:47 am

A Behringer UMC404HD is under a hundred £, leaving ample room for a decent mic and headphones, cables...
cyrano.mac
Regular

Postby ef37a » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:27 am

MOF wrote:
That's what I was thinking, but the Zoom H6 plus a dynamic mic (and stand, and cable, and SD card and maybe headphones) - in under $500 USD? Close, but no prize, I'm thinking. But worth it.

The H4N is £185 and acts as an interface.

The NI KA6 IS an interface and is just four quid more.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:52 am

ef37a wrote:The Mtrack 2x2 only has one microphone input and you will curse the lack in a week.

True enough but the M-Track 2x2M has two mic inputs and MIDI as well and doesn't cost much more. It's quite a neat unit.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
For more information please re-read.

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:21 pm

I thought Mammy had left us???
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby mammy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:35 pm

No Mr. Hugo There are lots of kind and helpful people in this forum so ı thought that ı should not leave these good people .Thank you for everthing.
mammy
Regular

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:37 am

There are lots of kind and helpful people in this forum

This is very true and nice to hear. :thumbup:
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns