You are here

Routing outputs on Zoom F4

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Routing outputs on Zoom F4

Postby Triglyph » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:20 am

I'm trying to get channel 1 to go to main output 1 and channel 2 to go to main output 2. I have selected L>M1 and R>M2 in the Main Out Routing. I have also tried channel 1>M1 and channel 2>M2 (post fader).

I have tried several different combinations and I alway get the same, equal output on Left and Right Main outputs (essentially a mono recording). Same levels, same recording. I've been testing by leaving a mic (channel 1) in my office with iTunes playing and running a wireless lav into channel 2 and taking it outside. Always the same result: on the LR and Main meters, the outputs are alway exactly equal, even when I turn one or the other channel down to zero on the faders.

When I import into FCPX or Adobe Audition, the outputs are both the same, even if I try stereo panning.

I also tried setting the Pan in PFL mode to L1 and R1. I must admit I don't understand this function. What does it mean when there are selection like R19 or L30?

I've read the manual over and over and just watched the Curtis Judd video on routing on the F4/F8. What am I missing?
Triglyph

Re: Routing outputs on Zoom F4

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:51 am

Hmmm...

F4 person here.

Must admit that as yet I've never used the main outputs, but I've never had a problem with routing for headphones. I think the principal must be the same...

I'll try and have a play around with settings later and report back.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:02 am

Triglyph wrote:I'm trying to get channel 1 to go to main output 1 and channel 2 to go to main output 2. I have selected L>M1 and R>M2 in the Main Out Routing.

Yes, that's correct, so the stereo mix bus feeds the two main outputs appropriately. You then just need to pan the input channels 1/2 in the mixer fully left or right to feed the Main 1/2 outputs separately.

I have also tried channel 1>M1 and channel 2>M2 (post fader).

That should work too, although if you want to work that way you'd need to deselect the L/R mix bus routing to the main outputs. If you don't, and the input channels are panned to the middle (which is the default) then the addition of the stereo mix bus at the main outputs will mono everything again and you wont get the separate outputs you're seeking!

I also tried setting the Pan in PFL mode to L1 and R1. I must admit I don't understand this function. What does it mean when there are selection like R19 or L30?

I can't remember the numeric range of the pan control on the Zoom, but as you operate the Pan control away from the centre you'll see a letter which identifies which side you're sending more signal, and a number describing the relative contribution amount. So as you move it left you're sending progressively more of the input signal to the left-hand side, and less to the right. At the maximum position (fully left or right) all the input signal goes to that side only, with none at all going to the other side. The numbers basically just indicate how far away from centre the signal panning is.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Triglyph » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:20 am

Thanks for the replies.

I see one area where I didn't make myself clear, and I do apologize for that. I'm not actually recording something out of the Main Outputs.

When recording audio on a film or video set, I can't think of anything I would ever use that for, but I'm not primarily an audio guy, I'm a filmmaker/camera guy who needs to record good audio and can't always have an audio recordist with me (and believe me, that is always my first choice -- to let a professional audio person handle it; I have great respect for the craft).

To clarify, I meant that i am trying to use the two SD slots on the F4 for different things: Channels 1-4 onto SD Card #1 as separate mono .wav files, and on SD Card #2, I'm recording a L/R mix (as selected in the Rec/Play menu). Maybe this is the problem, the only options available are

To be honest, I'm a little fuzzy on the difference between Main 1&2 and L/R. Aren't they the same thing? Why are they designated differently by Zoom?

Sorry for the noob questions, but most of my life I've been a DP, and my only interaction with the audio department was "Hey, how you doin' today? How bout those Dodgers, huh?"

So what I'm trying to achieve is the "mixed" output (adjusted audio outputs) of the Left and Right channels onto Card #2. What is befuffling me, is that no matter how I change the routing or adjust the faders on channels supposedly being recorded to separate L and R -- I always get the exact same audio on L/R when I pull it into FCPX or Audition. Two identical mono recordings.

To be real honest, I don't actually need to do this in most cases, it just drives me crazy to have a terrific new piece of equipment and have be able to do something that I can't figure out how to make it do that. Most of the time, I'll be using the second slot for an identical backup, but I can foresee circumstances where something else might be helpful.
Triglyph

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:33 am

Triglyph wrote:To clarify, I meant that i am trying to use the two SD slots on the F4 for different things: Channels 1-4 onto SD Card #1 as separate mono .wav files, and on SD Card #2, I'm recording a L/R mix (as selected in the Rec/Play menu).

That's definitely do-able.

To be honest, I'm a little fuzzy on the difference between Main 1&2 and L/R. Aren't they the same thing? Why are they designated differently by Zoom?

No, they are different things. Main 1/2 are physical outputs fed from a routing matrix. L/R is the output of the internal stereo mixer which can be recorded to a memory card or used as a source in the output router.

Check out the diagram on page 70 of the manual: https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/F4_OperationManual_English.pdf
Zoom f4 block.jpg

The cards (on the top right) can record the direct input channels, and/or the output of the internal stereo mixer, the outputs of the latter being labelled L & R.

The Main outputs (M1/2) are fed from a routing matrix which, again, can select from any of the inputs (pre or post mixer faders), or the output of the mixer itself.

What is befuffling me, is that no matter how I change the routing or adjust the faders on channels supposedly being recorded to separate L and R -- I always get the exact same audio on L/R when I pull it into FCPX or Audition. Two identical mono recordings.

It's because the mixer pans pots default to the centre position, so everything comes out equally from both Left and right channels. If you want input channels split between the left and right sides of the stereo mix, you need to pan them in the mixer, hard left or hard right, as required.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:08 am

Ah! Things become clearer... I'll forego my testing as Hugh seems to have found the answer.

Incidentally; I'm about to start delving into the delights of routing on the F4. Whereas before I've just recorded the individual channels straight to SD and then done all the mixing in post, I'm about to start experimenting with also feeding a live mix to video via the Sub Outs. Could be interesting! :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:53 am

Live mixing using the physical controls on the Zoom is not fun -- very small and fiddly and lots of button pressing... but it's very manageable using the F-Control (FRC8).

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:55 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Live mixing using the physical controls on the Zoom is not fun -- very small and fiddly and lots of button pressing... but it's very manageable using the F-Control (FRC8).

H

Funny you should say that... pennies are being counted! :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster