You are here

Charity shop compressors...

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Charity shop compressors...

Postby Arpangel » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:06 pm

I'm left with a few bits of stuff from my clear out, that no one wants, even free, so I'm keeping them. I'm thinking of just putting them back in the rack "just in case" but they may end up on the garden wall.
My Behringer mixer has one knob compressors, that's fine by me, and after much advice on keeping levels down I'm avoiding using compression for anything other than "creative" uses.
But I've got these old compressors lurking, and was wondering about what thoughts are regarding these units.
The oldest is a Yamaha GX2020, that to me makes things sound quite nice, and not in a bad way, surprising.
The newest is a Behringer Composer Pro, which sounds rather hard, and a bit glassy compared to the old Yamaha, that's how I hear it and it could be the first one on the wall.
What should be the best of the bunch is a BSS DPR402 It definitely has a sound, it's difficult to describe, but it's not something that you'd go out of your way to have, or not as the case may be!
To my ears, the most characterful and something I may use at some point, would be the Yamaha, I played the same material through each unit on a variety of settings, although a blind test might have been more interesting.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster