You are here

Alternatives to the Technics SL1210 turntable?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Alternatives to the Technics SL1210 turntable?

Postby Arpangel » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:05 am

Not sure if this is the right place to raise this topic, but I can't think of any other SOS sub forum.
I've always wanted an SL1210 for hi-fi use, and sampling duties. But now prices have gone through the roof. I'm wondering about direct drive alternatives, like the Stanton, or models from Pioneer, or whether I'd be better off looking for a decent secondhand 1210?
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Re: Alternatives to the Technics SL1210 turntable?

Postby blinddrew » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:43 pm

If it's for hifi use is there a specific reason you're looking at direct drive?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:46 pm

Arpangel wrote:I've always wanted an SL1210 for hi-fi use, and sampling duties.

So. maybe sampling as well? ;)
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby blinddrew » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:58 pm

Doh! :headbang:
Ignore me.
Assuming you weren't going to anyway... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Trevor Johnson » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:24 pm

The Technics SL range were/are beautifully engineered: I've had an SL1800 from new, circa 1979. The 1800 is a hi-fi rather than DJ deck, though some folks have used it for the latter. The tonearm can be improved with a bit of transplantation, depending whether the 1800 is the MkI or II version.

The 1800s are not that expensive, but I'd find a good used 1210 if that's what you want.
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:03 pm

Trevor Johnson wrote:The Technics SL range were/are beautifully engineered: I've had an SL1800 from new, circa 1979. The 1800 is a hi-fi rather than DJ deck, though some folks have used it for the latter. The tonearm can be improved with a bit of transplantation, depending whether the 1800 is the MkI or II version.

The 1800s are not that expensive, but I'd find a good used 1210 if that's what you want.

A friend got one, and it sounded fantastic, very solid stable sound, like listening to CD but with the benefits of analogue. It certaianly sounded a lot better than his Thorens TD125 with a Hadcock arm.
The arm is dodgy, but that can be replaced, there's an ADC cartridge in my friends one, and it still sounds superb.
I'm not interested in modern hI-fI turntables, they seem very over rated, so this option of a 1210 seemed like a good way to go.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Trevor Johnson » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:52 pm

I have a Thorens TD150, (was my mother's), needing restoration and definitely a different arm, probably a Rega.

My SL1800 has a Goldring 1042 cartridge, but had a non-standard Technics arm fitted from new, but what and why are lost in the mists of time!
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:40 pm

Do you really need 'instant' start, the ability to reverse-wind, and varispeed?

If not, and you basically just need to play records, then one of the Project turntable/arm/cartridge combos would be cheaper and sound at least as good...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:12 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:

If not, and you basically just need to play records, then one of the Project turntable/arm/cartridge combos would be cheaper and sound at least as good...

I thought so too, but it's not the case, if you listen to an SL1210 alongside a belt driven turntable the differences are very clear. Enough to make me think wow! Belt drives don't have the attack and solidity that reminds me of CD when it first came out, we all noticed the difference in that respect, even though CD was lacking in other respects at that time!
There are a few well known audiophiles who have noticed the SL1210, and realised that it does have weaknesses, but they can be addressed. A different arm, high end cartridge, and a rebuilt plinth.
I went to a local hi-fI shop with my partner, and we both listened to some turntables, Linn Sondek, Michell Gyrodeck, and a Project Experience. We both preferred the project, it sounded very good indeed, the other two were good, but we couldn't hear another couple of grands worth of difference.
But the SL1210 sounds better than all of those, to me, and even if you payed top dollar for one you'd still be getting something really amazing. The reason people don't talk about them in the context of "real hi-fI" is that they are overlooked, and very underrated.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Zukan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:38 am

I had 1210s and stopped buying when the mk 5 came ouit but unless you need it for DJ duties there are many options out there that would suit the hi-fi perspective.
Zukan

Postby Arpangel » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:44 am

Zukan wrote:I had 1210s and stopped buying when the mk 5 came ouit but unless you need it for DJ duties there are many options out there that would suit the hi-fi perspective.

I'd like a direct drive deck, that's why I'm looking for alternatives, but the good, 70's ones seem very scarce.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Zukan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:49 am

What's the budget saying?

If you're on a budget then have a look at the Pioneer PLX 500.
Zukan

Postby Arpangel » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:55 am

Zukan wrote:What's the budget saying?

Well, a decent 1210 is "around" £500, one that hasn't been DJ'd to hell, has lid etc.
So I guess, about £500.
The Pioneer looks like it could be OK, they do a PLX500 too.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Zukan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:59 am

Have a look at the Pioneer PLX 500 or any of the Stantons, Numarks or Mixars.
Zukan

Postby Arpangel » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:07 am

Zukan wrote:Have a look at the Pioneer PLX 500 or any of the Stantons, Numarks or Mixars.

Just watched a video about the differences between the Pioneer and the Technics, not good, the Pioneer build qulality isn't up there at all.
Torque on the motor isn't as good either, and that will affect the sound.
I think it's going to have to be a Technics, or if not, then as most people have said, a normal decent hi-fI deck.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Zukan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:11 am

Some of those second hand prices on Ebay are more expensive than the original RRPs I paid for my 1210s.

This one might be worth investigating:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technics-SL- ... SwNjJdeoT1
Zukan

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:34 am

Arpangel wrote:...if you listen to an SL1210 alongside a belt driven turntable the differences are very clear. Enough to make me think wow! Belt drives don't have the attack and solidity...

Well, as always, there are belt drives... and belt drives...

Platter mass, motor torque, belt compliance and tension... these things all make a huge difference. One thing belt drives don't suffer, though, is 'cogging' which can be a problem with direct drives... :-)

Good luck with your 1210 hunt.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:59 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:...if you listen to an SL1210 alongside a belt driven turntable the differences are very clear. Enough to make me think wow! Belt drives don't have the attack and solidity...

Well, as always, there are belt drives... and belt drives...

Platter mass, motor torque, belt compliance and tension... these things all make a huge difference. One thing belt drives don't suffer, though, is 'cogging' which can be a problem with direct drives... :-)

Good luck with your 1210 hunt.

H

I must admit, I haven't heard any nastys on my friends 1210, and in comparison to my demo at the hi-fi shop, my friends 1210 was a DEFINTE REVELATION in comparison to.....

I know we're supposed to be hearing nirvana, but it's just not happening., with the Linn and Michell.
A decent Linn will set you back the best part, or more, of £7,000, a Michell with a decent arm/cartridge more. An SL1210.....£500
These things are so personal, and I can only speak for my own preferences here.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:48 pm

Why not go for the king of the Technics direct drives - the SP10?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Tim Gillett » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:52 am

Arpangel wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:

I thought so too, but it's not the case, if you listen to an SL1210 alongside a belt driven turntable the differences are very clear. Enough to make me think wow! Belt drives don't have the attack and solidity that reminds me of CD when it first came out, we all noticed the difference in that respect, even though CD was lacking in other respects at that time!
There are a few well known audiophiles who have noticed the SL1210, and realised that it does have weaknesses, but they can be addressed. A different arm, high end cartridge, and a rebuilt plinth.
I went to a local hi-fI shop with my partner, and we both listened to some turntables, Linn Sondek, Michell Gyrodeck, and a Project Experience. We both preferred the project, it sounded very good indeed, the other two were good, but we couldn't hear another couple of grands worth of difference.
But the SL1210 sounds better than all of those, to me, and even if you payed top dollar for one you'd still be getting something really amazing. The reason people don't talk about them in the context of "real hi-fI" is that they are overlooked, and very underrated.

Testing audio gear with any sort of rigour and objectivity is often not easy. Here's a general article by Ethan Winer on the subject:

https://ethanwiner.com/audio_minutiae.htm

Tim
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Next