You are here

Auto-mix Function In Zoom F Series and Sound Devices Mix-Pres

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Auto-mix Function In Zoom F Series and Sound Devices Mix-Pres

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:54 am

Has anyone experience of using an auto-mix function in a concert environment?

Background: I've always used my F4 in concert situations by recording each track individually and then downloading and doing all the work in post. I'm now about to start upping my video game and using the F4 linked to the camcorder and, hopefully, producing a 'to stereo' mix on the fly to save time, hopefully, in post.

I find that normally I have enough to worry about when videoing, composing shots and keeping track of the focus etc, without adding the joys of producing a live audio mix at the same time. Auto-mix should be my friend, but I suspect that in a concert situation the sound of the choir/orchestra will still be hitting the non-music mics without enough dBs for the auto-mix fade not to kick in.

Certainly on my F4 you can't adjust the auto-mix - it's simply on/off...

Thoughts?
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Re: Auto-mix Function In Zoom F Series and Sound Devices Mix-Pres

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:21 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Has anyone experience of using an auto-mix function in a concert environment?

It's not designed for that application, Mike, and I don't think it will be able to help you in any sensible way.

It's designed to manage the spill level during interview style work, favouring the person who's talking and backing off the other interview mics to minimise coloration and background noise. If more than one person talks at a time, so there isn't a single dominant channel, it just opens all the relevant faders, but there's little in the way of intelligent balancing as such.

So in a music concert situation where there's stuff going on all the time with lots of spill, it won't know what to do, and so it will either do nothing at all, or it will try and close the quieter channels, wrecking the reverberant ambience!

There are DAW plugins that attempt to mix music tracks, but the automix feature in the Zoom is not that kind of thing, I'm afraid!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Auto-mix Function In Zoom F Series and Sound Devices Mix-Pres

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:42 pm

Thanks H

That's just as I suspected... The FRC-8 beckons!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster