You are here

SSL Alpha Link AX vs Lucid 88192 converters

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

SSL Alpha Link AX vs Lucid 88192 converters

Postby CS70 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:27 am

Having just got a little more outboard at home and with all the I/O of my RME used, I "need" (ahem) a an additional converter box to add to the RME via ADAT.

I know and use the 88192 well and love it (as much as you can love converters). I just spotted an used one for a good price. It has 8 channels of conversion and sounds fine to me.

However, for a little more money (around say 150 pounds more), I can also get an used SSL Alpha Link AX (it has MADI and ADAT and I would use ADAT). This has a whopping 24 channels of conversion and would likely mean I never need another converter ever. On the other side I most like will never use any MADI facilities. The SSL also requires a loom (which also costs money), while the Lucid has nice XLRs on the back ready for use.

I never used one (or any SSL kit), so anyone who can give some comparison hints about the two?
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Re: SSL Alpha Link AX vs Lucid 88192 converters

Postby molecular » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:53 am

No direct comparisons from me.... but until someone who's owned both shows up:

1. I am just selling an Alphalink MX unit after three years and I could not fault it. I can't see how you could have any problems with the quality of the convertors myself. But surely the same is true of the Lucid?

2. I'm in the process of completely changing my set-up right now, despite having acquired the last interface/convertors/desk I'll ever need those three years ago, as I need to become more mobile for the next couple of years. I'm pretty sure the set-up I had before that was the last one I ever needed as well... if that's any help!
molecular
Frequent Poster
Anto mo Ninja, Watashi mo Ninja http://www.hectormacinnes.com

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:21 pm

CS70 wrote:However, for a little more money (around say 150 pounds more), I can also get an used SSL Alpha Link AX...

Probably not the same 'used' unit, but there is a post in the Readers Ads about a stolen SSL Alphalink AX with the serial Number- AFN-046 SN00517, so worth checking the provenance of any second-hand unit you might come across!

SSL Alphalink Madi AX !!!STOLEN !!! SSL Alphalink Madi AX (serial Number- AFN-046 SN00517 ) stolen from a property in Newcastle Upon Tyne, which is believed to have been sold on ebay to a European ebay member If you purchased this item ( item no. #161481334807) for the price of £800, then you are in receipt of stolen goods,but not incriminated. currently being investigated by Northumbria police. Reward for any information leading to a conviction
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby CS70 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:46 pm

Good to know thx! I’ve decided to with the Lucid and hoped the stolen one didn’t reach Oslo.. but good to know.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page