You are here

Starter setup advice required

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Starter setup advice required

Postby jimh76 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:45 pm

Hi Dave,

Just saying that there are other options to computers. In my personal experience, computers work fine when new, but when they have been around the block with plugin's added, deleted, drivers changed etc, they can take ages to load up. Of course this is just my experience, but on occasions in the past I have gone into my studio to record something, and spent an hour trying to work out why something is in conflict with something else, and then the nights gone.

I'm a bit of an old school tascam boy at heart....

To be honest I can see that I'm the dying breed here and know I'll have to make the full leap to a full computer only setup at some stage, but to be honest, I just record for fun.
Mostly live instruments I play or mates and family, so it's mainly live recordings (no syths or programming).

When the OP mentioned his mate, he sounded a lot like me so thought I'd chip in...;o)

Cheers,
jimh76
Poster

Postby CS70 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:27 pm

If it consoles you, it’s important to know that it doesn’t have to be like that.

What often makes a DAW application obsolete is the fact that we keep upgrading it, just because we can.

A well maintained and stable DAW system will be as fast after 10 years as the first time it was run,.

That said, after a few years the cost of getting a system with much more functionality and possibilities tends to be small, so certain upgrades are very beneficial. The trick is to be smart about it.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby ef37a » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:49 pm

Hmm, This i3 HP g6 laptop upon which I type has 3 free versions of Samplitude on it plus a purchased ProX3. Audacity, Adobe Audition 1.5, Reaper (paid for!) Cubase Essentials 6. Office 2007 and a shedload of other stuff gathered over 6 or 7 years.

And yes, as I say, I can just plug in my NI KA6 (or indeed an 8i6 if I can be arsed to find the PSU!) and be recording in a minute or so.

And yet, I am NO PC guru, I have no deep knowledge of computer management. It runs all my internet work, hopping between FFox and IE11 and generally works fine. I have just the free version of Ms SEss and run the free Malwarebytes once a month or so. Rarely do either facilities find a problem. Once in a bluey I run Ccleaner in the Registry mode (an old one. I don't trust the new update) .

Don't take MY advice FHS but If I had your problems I would first uninstall and reinstall the DAW and same for any hard ware drivers (the DAW might have a repair mode, always worth a hack) .

If that does not help. I would format the HDD and re install the Jewson lot!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby innerchord » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:26 pm

Don't forget that this could be accomplished on an iPad too! Some excellent guitar sounds available as well, for very little money.
innerchord
Poster

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:12 pm

jimh76 wrote:
When the OP mentioned his mate, he sounded a lot like me so thought I'd chip in...;o)

Yeah, my buddy has been recording his tunes on some Tascam 8 track thingy for years - it must be 20 years old at least.
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby Wonks » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:41 pm

Please give Alans my regards.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:10 am

Wonks wrote:Please give Alans my regards.

:D
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Previous