You are here

AKG vs Sennheiser

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

AKG vs Sennheiser

Postby Dynamic Mike » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:45 am

I have 2 pairs of headphones in regular use, Sennheiser HD25-II & AKG K702 (65th Anniversary Edition). I'm happy with both but the velour earpads are getting a bit grubby. So I thought I'd treat myself to some replacement pads.

Straight to Sennheiser £15.95 inc VAT & shipping. Sorted.

So then to AKG (Remember these were £499 originally) to discover they don't sell them. A quick search reveals some dodgy copies on eBay & some Hi-Fi 'upgrades' that are only available in the USA. Luckily discovered you can get them from Thomann. The bad news is they're 20.70 Euros and that's EACH! Put them in the basket to discover another 10 Euros postage & packing for something that weighs marginally more than fresh air. You can buy AKG phones for very little more.

Does anyone know anywhere else that sells them? If not I'll have to bite the bullet but I'm not a happy bunny.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Guitars are like partners. You know within 10 seconds of picking one up whether or not it's a keeper. 

Re: AKG vs Sennheiser

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:26 am

Alternatively: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/akg-k701-reference-class-open-back-headphones-with-flat-wire-technology-manufacturer-refurbished

I think a few of us here have bought refurbished AKGs from Scan. Apart from no box, mine were as new...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Humble Bee » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:26 pm

Humble Bee
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:08 pm

Humble Bee wrote:https://m.thomann.de/gb/akg_k_702_ear_pad.htm

Errmm... that's what DM stated in his initial post...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Humble Bee » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:11 pm

Always repair before considering buying new (or used for that matter)
The planet earth and it’s inhabitants will thank you.
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby Dynamic Mike » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:23 am

Humble Bee wrote:Always repair before considering buying new (or used for that matter)
The planet earth and it’s inhabitants will thank you.

I'm trying which is more than you can say for AKG!

Sennheiser pads arrived today. Fitting them is a 3 handed affair requiring infinite patience but worth it. I'd also ordered a new 3.5m straight cable to replace a 3m curly one. Oddly the replacement doesn't have the little plastic rectangular splitter box that screws to the side. I've kept the screws because I'm going to have to fabricate a little cable clip tomorrow to hold the lead in place. No big deal but a little disappointing.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Guitars are like partners. You know within 10 seconds of picking one up whether or not it's a keeper. 

Postby John Willett » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:18 pm

Sennheiser is still Sennheiser :thumbup:

AKG were bought by Harman who were then bought by Samsung. :thumbdown:

AKG microphone engineers and experts are now Austrian Audio. :thumbup:

No idea where the AKG headphone guys went (unless they are also Austrian Audio and something interesting will happen in the future...)
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons