You are here

Rode TF-5

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Rode TF-5

Postby Shostakovich » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:55 pm

Anybody tried these SDC mics yet?
I'm considering buying a pair as my elderly arthritic hands are slowly deteriorating and I'm still writing solo finger style acoustic guitar tunes that I'd like to record.
I'm pleased with the results I get from my stereo matched pair of Rode NT5, but often think it could be a little better.
The TF-5 are very expensive, but currently on Amazon for a mere £900 (£400 cheaper than anywhere else I've seen).
I'm not expecting a massive improvement compared with the NT5, but a subtle change would be OK, but sounding hardly different wouldn't! :o
Shostakovich
Regular

Excelling at mediocrity for 65 years.

Re: Rode TF-5

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:25 pm

There's a detailed Robjohns-Review :thumbup: in the October edition of the magazine... available at all good newsagents! :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:35 pm

Not wishing to discourage you from buying nice new kit but the first question you are going to be asked is "how good is your recording space"? If it's good then carry on but if the acoustic is compromised you will probably not hear sufficient benefit from spending a considerable sum on better mics.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:35 am

Shostakovich wrote:The TF-5 are very expensive, but currently on Amazon for a mere £900 (£400 cheaper than anywhere else I've seen).

Did you notice the bit that says "Usually delivered within one to three months"?

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Arpangel » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:55 am

Just looking at Tony Faulkners website, seems Rode and Schoeps feature heavily.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Ramirez » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:07 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:
Shostakovich wrote:The TF-5 are very expensive, but currently on Amazon for a mere £900 (£400 cheaper than anywhere else I've seen).

Did you notice the bit that says "Usually delivered within one to three months"?

CC

To be fair it seems that it’s pre-orders everywhere at the moment.

A very positive review in the current SOS. I like the look of them. Røde must have great confidence going head to head with the likes of Neumann at around the same price point, and it seems to be justified.

I wonder how they compare to the MKH20.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby Arpangel » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:34 am

Ramirez wrote:I wonder how they compare to the MKH20.

The Rode is a cardioid, not an omni, but in terms of self noise and output level the MKH's are a hard act to follow. And as an MKH owner myself I'm not tempted to buy the TF5.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Ramirez » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:47 am

Arpangel wrote:
Ramirez wrote:I wonder how they compare to the MKH20.

The Rode is a cardioid, not an omni, but in terms of self noise and output level the MKH's are a hard act to follow. And as an MKH owner myself I'm not tempted to buy the TF5.

My bad, I meant the MKH40! Never used an MKH20, but I use the MKH40 regularly.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby Arpangel » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:08 am

The TF5 is a bold move by Rode, and many congrats, and the price is very good, if I didn't have a stereo pair of some sort I may consider them, but the TF monicker is nothing to do with the mic itself, it's just a nice complimentary way of launching a flagship product.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Shostakovich » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:42 am

CC[/quote]

Yes I saw that, just appeared in the last couple of days having previously stated "one left in stock, more arriving soon". There's also been the 3rd price drop since I first saw it on Amazon, and it's now £896, although I won't be ordering something that isn't shown as in stock. Not many places have them in stock, and the next cheapest price I've seen is £1299!
Shostakovich
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:52 am

Shostakovich wrote:Yes I saw that, just appeared in the last couple of days having previously stated "one left in stock, more arriving soon". There's also been the 3rd price drop since I first saw it on Amazon, and it's now £896, although I won't be ordering something that isn't shown as in stock. Not many places have them in stock, and the next cheapest price I've seen is £1299!

I could say £30 a pair but not have them in stock, same old story, the only price that matters is the one thats "in stock" and I normally want it now, not in three months time. If you front up at a shop and get this spiel it's because they have a vested interest in selling you something else,
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:12 am

Arpangel wrote:..the TF monicker is nothing to do with the mic itself, it's just a nice complimentary way of launching a flagship product.

Not entirely sure what you mean there Tony?

I can assure you that Tony F really did have a great deal to do with the design, development and practical testing of the TF-5 -- and the other Rode mics coming soon also identified with the TF moniker.

I also know that Peter Freedman holds Tony in very high regard and values his input to these mics greatly. I believe Tony has been providing guidance and mentoring to Peter to further his own recording activities, too.

Peter is a guy with a genuine passion about microphones and recording. His Rode microphone business is now in a very strong position, thanks largely to the video mics and project studio ranges, such that he can now afford to invest in developing genuinely high-end mics.

These are the kinds of things that will probably only ever sell in relatively small numbers (compared to the video mics, anyway) and only to discerning professionals and well-heeled enthusiasts, and Peter is quite accepting that they could turn out to be loss-making once the R&D and manufacturing equipment investment is taking into account. But, in producing these mics, their existence demonstrates that he really is a serious contender and able to hold his own against the long-established European manufacturers... and that means a great deal on a personal level to Peter.

When I met Tony F a few months back he was really excited to show me the prototype mics and enthused at considerable length about them and their development and aims. He was working with Rode to develop mics that address the 'weaknesses' he identifies in the familiar standard bearers (and he's really not a fan of the Neumann KM84 sound, apparently). As a result of the work he has done with Rode, he is genuinely now using these new mics quite regularly in his own recordings -- and he certainly wouldn't do that if they weren't absolutely up to scratch.

When I discovered and questioned the faux-pas in the published specs about the max SPL figure I mentioned it to him in passing while Rode went off to recheck their figures. He knew from first hand experience that the numbers couldn't be right, and was was so concerned that he organised his own independent testing in a UK lab at the same time as Rode did their thing in Australia. The separate sets of results agreed within 1dB or so, reflecting the true capability of the mic. So Tony is fully invested in the TF-5s, and the other TF mics yet to be launched.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:31 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:..the TF monicker is nothing to do with the mic itself, it's just a nice complimentary way of launching a flagship product.

Not entirely sure what you mean there Tony?

I can assure you that Tony F really did have a great deal to do with the design, development and practical testing of the TF-5 -- and the other Rode mics coming soon also identified with the TF moniker.

I also know that Peter Freedman holds Tony in very high regard and values his input to these mics greatly. I believe Tony has been providing guidance and mentoring to Peter to further his own recording activities, too.

Peter is a guy with a genuine passion about microphones and recording. His Rode microphone business is now in a very strong position, thanks largely to the video mics and project studio ranges, such that he can now afford to invest in developing genuinely high-end mics.

These are the kinds of things that will probably only ever sell in relatively small numbers (compared to the video mics, anyway) and only to discerning professionals and well-heeled enthusiasts, and Peter is quite accepting that they could turn out to be loss-making once the R&D and manufacturing equipment investment is taking into account. But, in producing these mics, their existence demonstrates that he really is a serious contender and able to hold his own against the long-established European manufacturers... and that means a great deal on a personal level to Peter.

When I met Tony F a few months back he was really excited to show me the prototype mics and enthused at considerable length about them and their development and aims. He was working with Rode to develop mics that address the 'weaknesses' he identifies in the familiar standard bearers (and he's really not a fan of the Neumann KM84 sound, apparently). As a result of the work he has done with Rode, he is genuinely now using these new mics quite regularly in his own recordings -- and he certainly wouldn't do that if they weren't absolutely up to scratch.

When I discovered and questioned the faux-pas in the published specs about the max SPL figure I mentioned it to him in passing while Rode went off to recheck their figures. He knew from first hand experience that the numbers couldn't be right, and was was so concerned that he organised his own independent testing in a UK lab at the same time as Rode did their thing in Australia. The separate sets of results agreed within 1dB or so, reflecting the true capability of the mic. So Tony is fully invested in the TF-5s, and the other TF mics yet to be launched.

Thanks for clarifying all that Hugh, wrongly, I didn't think Tony had any technical input in the design process. All I can say is that I wish him well with all this, and your post and Tony's input has made me think I ought to have a closer look at these mic's.
My partner and I have more than a passing acquatance with Tony, and the last thing we would want to do is disrespect him in any way whatsoever, and I'm sorry if I gave that impression.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Shostakovich » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:01 pm

Arpangel wrote:I could say £30 a pair but not have them in stock, same old story, the only price that matters is the one thats "in stock" and I normally want it now, not in three months time. If you front up at a shop and get this spiel it's because they have a vested interest in selling you something else,

I've been buying things online for over 20 years, and can assure that distance selling regulations applicable to UK & EU determine that the advertised price is contractual. Your assertion is misleading and unhelpful. You can buy these mics from amazon for £896.13, but you won't get them for 1-3 months. You can also 'pre order' from a number of other sites at present, but like I said, I only go ahead with an order if it shows as in stock with a clear delivery date.
Meanwhile, as per my original post, has anyone tried these mics yet, apart from Hugh Robjohns, whose review I've read.
Shostakovich
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:33 pm

Shostakovich wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I could say £30 a pair but not have them in stock, same old story, the only price that matters is the one thats "in stock" and I normally want it now, not in three months time. If you front up at a shop and get this spiel it's because they have a vested interest in selling you something else,

I've been buying things online for over 20 years, and can assure that distance selling regulations applicable to UK & EU determine that the advertised price is contractual. Your assertion is misleading and unhelpful. You can buy these mics from amazon for £896.13, but you won't get them for 1-3 months. You can also 'pre order' from a number of other sites at present, but like I said, I only go ahead with an order if it shows as in stock with a clear delivery date.
Meanwhile, as per my original post, has anyone tried these mics yet, apart from Hugh Robjohns, whose review I've read.

I did say if you turn up at a shop, not on-line, I've had many experiences of zealous salesmen trying to sell things that are in stock, or things that they've been told to push, rather than the item you actually want. And advertised low prices on out of stock items can be used just to get you through the door. But I agree with what you say about online sales, and the contractual price if it's low, normally reflects the fact that a waiting time is involved of some sort.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster