You are here

I don't understand converters

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: I don't understand converters

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:31 pm

Wonks wrote:Indeed. Elf's version of John Cage's 4'33" is only 2'05".

If he played it to an empty theatre would is actually have happened?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:30 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:

If he played it to an empty theatre would is actually have happened?

I think I'll give that question the short silence it deserves. :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Tim Gillett » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:08 pm

The Elf wrote:
Because he can hear, or thinks he can hear, audible benefits
I'd reduce that to 'thinks he can hear, or is financially advantaged to say he hears...' ;)

Cynical? Moi? :beamup:

On another recording forum I once frequented, were a number of posters whose argument was "I know what my ears tell me" and that was always the end of the discussion...especially if they were not prepared to subject their claim to double blind testing, which, it was sometimes claimed, was just a conspiracy to trick them...
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:11 pm

Is Elf running at 30 ips in a 15 ips world?
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:33 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:

Is Elf running at 30 ips in a 15 ips world?

Maybe. I've been told by others that he has ultrasonic hearing and speech and at times only converses with the genus Chiroptera. In other words, he's completely batty. :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby blinddrew » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:30 pm

It occurs to me that I have probably had my set up backwards. I've had my CD and MD players running into my Dacmagic, and then the unbalanced audio running into my Focusrite Scarlett and on to my speakers.
In retrospect I should probably be taking the digital out from my focusrite into the dacmagic and the balanced audio output from that to my speakers. Just need to check that I can still control the volume via the focus rite.
Oh yes, and buy some female XLR plugs and solder them up.
Which probably means getting the dacmagic fixed so that all the inputs work as well. :(
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby CS70 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:38 pm

songwriter wrote:I need to understand once and for all about converters.
So I am more confused now than before. This engineer mixes and matches converters?? Why? What's the difference in sound and why would it have an effect on program material?

This is actually easier than it looks.

A converter has a job - polling your analog signal with a given frequency to transform it into a stream of samples with the desired word length.

If it were possible to build a perfect real-world converter, it would do that job and that one would be all that you even needed.

But it isn't. Real-world converters are less than perfect.

So different converters (based on different classes of tech or different designs in the same class) produce slight different errors. The sample streams they produce are (often very, very slightly) different.

That results into slightly different analog signal when the samples are used to reconstruct the (supposedly) original waveform. Aka "different sound".

Errors can come from timing (frequency must be ultra precise), how the gain-to-digital level is interpreted (ideally should be a straight line, but physical components may not behave so) and so on. Also boundary conditions like operating temperature (often linked to the voltage) can affect the signal detection and different designs will attempt to compensate for these physical effects in different ways (usually the better they are, the more costly, with the inevitable law of diminishing returns creeping in).

Keep in mind these effects are really minimal - for example, the time scale with which music is understandable to us (say milliseconds for a note) is way bigger than the time scale with which a converter operates (even a humble 44.1Hz is 44100 times per second, an order of magnitude greater).

Nevertheless: these errors all result is slightly different (but musically equivalent) sample streams and reconstructed-analog-wave.

Some people claim to be able to hear the differences. How much that claim is true or self delusion, it's hard to say - nobody's ever organized a proper blind test insofar I know.

One funny thing to think about, is that the same micro-errors are sure to occur (for the same physical-vs-theoretical reasons) in D/A conversion.

So, are these fellows hearing the A/D conversion errors, or the D/A conversion errors? A mix? :-) Who knows. My $.10 is that we people are great at fooling ourselves, especially when we've used a hefty dosh of cash on something. But your opinion may differ.

Beyond that, exactly like you can't evaluate a microphone unless your room is pretty good (a fantastic mic will capture fantastically a horrible comb-filtered signal, if the room is very reflective, resulting in a horrible recording), evaluating a converter without having a really great chain before is nonsensical.

Maybe, maybe, if you have a great room, a really good fidelity microphone, a great (low distortion, low noise, as-linear-as-possible) preamp... you can hear what the converters errors do. Maybe. Dunno. I don't.

I also understood that the converter acts as the audio interface, like the fireface UFX. Is that right? Or can you have a different converters like the ones above integrated into your normal recording setup (in my case with the UFX) to change at will?

No - "interface" stands for "computer interface": that is, an interface is what takes the samples from the converter to the PC (via USB, thunderbolt etc). A stand alone converter usually doesn't "talk" these computer protocols, so usually need to take the (already digital) sample stream and send it into an interface. which then converts them to USB etc.

That's due (my guess!) to historical reasons, with protocols to transmit audio signals (like AES/EBU or S/PDIF) having evolved in parallel with device-to-computer communication protocols (like USB), and from slightly different viewpoints.

Bit like Nikon and Canon being both cameras, but needing adapters to use each other's lenses. Or Apple and PCs being both computers but.. you get the gist.

On the other side, all interfaces that expose analog inputs (line or mic) contain A/D converters. There are interfaces which are digital to digital (to translate between the various digital audio protocols, say AES to MADI etc) and then get the signal into a computer. These won't contain converters, but are far fewer and normally oriented to the pro market rather than the consumer.

Due to the theory-vs-real-world-effect above, at a given price point a design that deals only with conversion (i.e. an A/D box) vs. one that has to deal with preamp + conversion + translation to computer protocol (i.e. an interface) will likely do a slightly worse job at A/D. But in reality really good A/D conversion chips, supporting reasonably good analog front-ends, have become commonplace so it's not really something you should concerns yourself unless you can (as opposite to want) squeeze the last 0.0001% of performance from your chain.

Like it's not a big deal - for the purpose of driving fast - to worry about the micro-meter smoothness of a cars paint coat if you don't have a great pilot, engine, suspensions, injection, reliability etc..

Shameless plug: if you like, you can always have a look at my blog http://theaudioblog.org where I write about these things.

Hope it helps!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Mixedup » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:08 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:What really does make a big difference, however, is the avoidance of ground-loops...

And since we're on the subject of converters... this is one reason I like optical digital connections such as ADAT and optical MADI.
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:42 pm

Mixedup wrote:And since we're on the subject of converters... this is one reason I like optical digital connections such as ADAT and optical MADI.

But only if you use those high-quality fibres with the gold-plated connectors, yes? :lol: :lolno:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby blinddrew » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:07 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
blinddrew wrote:Is there any technical advantage to using the balanced outputs on the dacmagic over the unbalanced ones?

It should also provide at least a 3dB improvement in the signal-to-noise ratio compared to the unbalanced outputs. I've not run a suite of measurements on my original DACMagic converter box (but I will now I'e reminded myself that I should)... but reviews I've seen suggest the balanced outputs have something like 2dB lower distortion products than the unbalanced outputs.

H
Just wondering if you had time to run those measurements?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:18 pm

Sorry, no. I don't have an office/studio at the moment. Everything is packed away and my man-cave storage unit is busting at the seams while I redecorate and rebuild the room. Hopefully it will all all be up and running again in a couple of weeks and I'll make testing the DacMagic the system testing project!
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Watchmaker » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:54 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Sorry, no. I don't have an office/studio at the moment. Everything is packed away and my man-cave storage unit is busting at the seams while I redecorate and rebuild the room. Hopefully it will all all be up and running again in a couple of weeks and I'll make testing the DacMagic the system testing project!

Surely we can expect pics of the rebuild?
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby blinddrew » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:03 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Sorry, no. I don't have an office/studio at the moment.
I think this might be the only time that Hugh and I have studios at the same level of operation. :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:16 pm

I will take some pics for the possibility of a write up....
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Watchmaker » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:32 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I will take some pics for the possibility of a write up....

:thumbup: :D

that'd be cool.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Previous