You are here

Budget ribbon microphone recommendations?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Budget ribbon microphone recommendations?

Postby paulaztec » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:05 pm

Hey gang,

I'm thinking of getting a ribbon microphone - will be my first ribbon, I'm currently using a SE2200, Beyerdynamic M201 and a pair of Rode NT5s (cardoid).

Likely upcoming use will be to record a singing guitarist - here's a sample using the M201 on her voice and the NT5s on the guitar: https://soundcloud.com/hazel_sound/green-apple-blossom-city-caroline-kendall

I'm fairly pleased how that came out, but like the idea of a ribbon softening the picking transients, and using figure-8 pattern to reduce the vocal spill.

Your collective wisdom and suggestions would be appreciated, or if you have other non-ribbon suggestions, that would be great.

Budget-wise, ideally I'd like to keep it under £200ish, and I think I may need to include in that some kind of inline mic-preamp - I'm using a Steinberg UR44, which I'm very happy with, but have been using the gain for the M201 almost full up, so anticipate the lower output of a ribbon might need some extra help.

Thanks,
Paul
paulaztec
Poster

Re: Budget ribbon microphone recommendations?

Postby molecular » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:20 pm

You might manage to get a Sontronics Sigma second hand for not too much more than that (one on ebay for £300 ONO atm) - it's an excellent mic and doesn't need the additional gain boost. Worth going on your shortlist anyway!
molecular
Frequent Poster
Anto mo Ninja, Watashi mo Ninja http://www.hectormacinnes.com

Postby blinddrew » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:02 pm

Golden Age Project, MXL and sE all do ribbons in that range. I liked the sE when I was looking a couple of years ago.
And Mike Senior makes quite a lot of use of the Superlux R102 - which is a bit of a bargain I reckon.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Funkyflash5 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:15 pm

I've liked my Cascade Fatheads, and have loaned one to my friend with a much larger and more expensive mic locker as they sound good, not just good-for-the-price. At 160 they fit the budget
Funkyflash5
Poster

Postby wdsteele » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:01 am

Ive be been using the SE Voodoo VR1 , it’s the passive version and has more top end than most other ribbons , was a shade over £200 some weeks back from Scan , most retailers are just over the £300 mark which is still well reduced on original RSP.

It was my first ribbon , I’m using it for vocals and acoustic guitar in mono single take recordings and it’s very natural sounding ; it really suits finger picking acoustic , very detailed and natural sounding and I didn’t have to listen too hard to appreciate it was doing something none of my other mics seem to be able to quite manage in capturing the initial string attack but still retaining a very refined edge.

So I get that smoothness I was looking for but not dull or overly bright , just realistic sounding recordings.

Running through an Eventide Mixinglink preamp or Apogee Duet preamp and output isn’t an issue for my fairly close up use.

It’s also amazingly small and robust with good accessories and is phantom power safe , a really nice addition for me.
wdsteele
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:24 am

I bought one of these: https://www.runwayproaudio.com/isk_rsm5.htm on the strength of the reviews and was not disappointed.

It did all I wanted from a ribbon and had the classic ribbon sound.

Recently sold it as part of my down-sizing...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Mixedup » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:20 pm

Some good suggestions here. If you're looking to keep the costs down, Bumblebee Pro's part-assembled kits might also be worth checking out...
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:25 pm

My mate swears by the Thomann round, flat one for guitar cabs. Can't remember the number...it's round, and flat, and you get a different sound depending on which side you put next to the cab. Looks like a silver lollipop.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Ramirez » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:37 pm

Mixedup wrote:Some good suggestions here. If you're looking to keep the costs down, Bumblebee Pro's part-assembled kits might also be worth checking out...

Ooh, that looks fun!

Anyone used one? Worth having?
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby Wonks » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:11 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:My mate swears by the Thomann round, flat one for guitar cabs. Can't remember the number...it's round, and flat, and you get a different sound depending on which side you put next to the cab. Looks like a silver lollipop.

That will be the only round silver ribbon mic Thomann sell. The RM 700.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_rm700.htm
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Rob Collins » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:39 pm

Highly recommend seeing If you can find a second hand Crowley and Tripp Naked Eye. Fantastic ribbon mic.
Rob Collins
Poster

Postby Mixedup » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:54 pm

Ramirez wrote:
Mixedup wrote:Some good suggestions here. If you're looking to keep the costs down, Bumblebee Pro's part-assembled kits might also be worth checking out...

Ooh, that looks fun!

Anyone used one? Worth having?

Not used them myself, but I have heard decent things of the RM-5 from people whose ears and opinions I trust. If anyone's tried the RM-6 I'd love to know what they think!
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby jaminem » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:12 pm

Wonks wrote:
Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:My mate swears by the Thomann round, flat one for guitar cabs. Can't remember the number...it's round, and flat, and you get a different sound depending on which side you put next to the cab. Looks like a silver lollipop.

That will be the only round silver ribbon mic Thomann sell. The RM 700.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_rm700.htm

...mine must have been broken then, because it sounded awful. really crispy top end, perhaps a patchy manufacturing faze.....
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby jaminem » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:13 pm

Rob Collins wrote:Highly recommend seeing If you can find a second hand Crowley and Tripp Naked Eye. Fantastic ribbon mic.

If there's a Naked Eye available for £200 there's no point in looking for it, because I would have already bought it!!
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby paulaztec » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:40 pm

Thanks you all for your suggestions.

I've ordered a Superlux R102 - which seems to fit the bill - plus has a built-in pre-amp, which should make everything simpler when recording. I wouldn't have found out about that one otherwise - as always the forum delivers wisdom!

Cheers,
Paul
paulaztec
Poster

Postby ore_terra » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:25 am

I own a pair of SER1's that you can find quite cheap second hand.

also I pair of Beyers M60 that I got 2nd hand in this forum for 500 quid :D

love them all
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby cyrano.mac » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:24 am

jaminem wrote:...mine must have been broken then, because it sounded awful. really crispy top end, perhaps a patchy manufacturing faze.....

That's possible. I've seen one where the ribbon wasn't corrugated. It was just flat. Needless to say that doesn't sound very good.
cyrano.mac
Regular