You are here

Clamp-type mic (or mic mount) suitable for recorder?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Clamp-type mic (or mic mount) suitable for recorder?

Postby bigster » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:26 pm

Any recommendations as to a clamp-type mic mount that could attach to the head joint of a recorder, to get a mic consistently a few cm from the ‘whistle’/fipple aperture? Ideally to accommodate head joint diameters up to about 5cm or so, and be kind to the wooden surfaces.

Either a clamp+mini gooseneck (or similar) to mount a separate small condenser, or in fact a dedicated all-in mount+mic would be OK. It’s for studio as well as live use.

Extensive googling turns up (for me anyway) a whole lot of clip-on mics for sax, clarinet and trumpet bells etc on the one hand, and squared-off table clamps on the other, but not quite the wide-jawed sort of thing I think I’m after.
bigster
Regular

Re: Clamp-type mic (or mic mount) suitable for recorder?

Postby blinddrew » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:36 pm

I think for something like that I'd maybe start with looking for something from DPA - but they're not on the cheap side.

Edit: maybe something like a sennheiser e608 or e908. They've got different mounting clips and you might find a dealer with them in stock to try out?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:45 pm

I use one of these attached to a cloths peg to hold an old laveller mic, the clip holds the mic and the peg attaches to the sound hole in a Cajon but you could just as easily attach the mic to the clip and clip that around the whistle. Mine is plastic coated so not damaging to the instrument.

They come in various sizes so two zip tied together in a variety of sizes might just be a solution.

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:47 pm

Maybe try and find some sort of clip that will go around the recorder, with a protuberance that a smaller mic clip could attach to? Stick some rubber or foam on the inside of the clamp first?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:04 pm

DPA do a universal clip that would probably do the job:

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/accessories/clip-for-universal-use

Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby bigster » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:09 pm

Thank you everyone. Great suggestions. They jogged my memory that I possibly have something here already (a rubber mount for putting a high power torch on a bicycle stem, would you believe) that I could try out. If that doesn’t work, there are some other ways forward.

I must say, that DPA d:vote 4099, for which the universal mount is designed, looks absolutely superb. The player who’s involved in the project this all relates to might well be persuaded to invest in one - in which case all my problems are at an end... :)
bigster
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:14 pm

The DPA 4099 is a fantastic mic, provided it is put in the right place. I helped a non techie acoustic guitarist choose and use a mic for his equally fantastic sounding Fylde guitar and his initial efforts sounded dreadful before I was able to find a position that sounded good (no magic, he was pointing it at the sound hole and I just moved its focus to the 12th fret area). Not cheap but worth every penny IMHO.

But, if it's too close you may lose many of the benefits and a cheaper mic may well do the job as well, acoustic instruments need space to breath so, if possible, miking them from 12" or more away is often the best option. I does compromise 'gain before feedback' and separation but it will almost always result in a more natural sound. As always experiment and use your ears.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby bigster » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:33 pm

That’s a good point. It’d be nice to try one out before committing. In this project separation and feedback rejection are really important though, and there will be a lot of guitar pedal treatment of the recorder sound. So on stage at least it might be acceptable to sacrifice some naturalness of the capture, to that end.
bigster
Regular

Postby Wonks » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:44 pm

From Hugh's picture, a long velcro cable tie may be all you need in addition to the mic.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:47 pm

Have a look at the T-Bone Ovid system, I have the guitar kit and it's very good for the modest price and has a range of attachment options. It is hyper cardioid, like the DPA so is pretty good at rejecting feedback.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_ovid_system_cc_100.htm
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby bigster » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:20 am

The Ovid system seems to fit the bill perfectly, and they even do a dedicated ‘flute’ bundle with the adjustable Velcro strap for £65. Thank you for the tip-off!
bigster
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:50 am

I had the 'full' Ovid kit back in the day.

Very versatile and, as Sam says, good value for live-sound work.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:45 pm

That was a good steer for me too and I've just bought a bunch of Ovid stuff as a result. There should be something amongst that lot suitable for a hammered dulcimer which is what I'm currently after. My wife wants to use it with a looper so acceptable rather than stellar quality should be fine and I can't argue with the price.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Exalted Wombat » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:33 am

The National Theatre is fond of using 'wandering musicians' in its productions. I've seen woodwind players, particularly ones who double on various instruments during a production, with a lavalier mic taped to the back of one hand. It seems to work well.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby bigster » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:09 am

That's interesting. (At risk of going off-topic) it reminds me of a West End show I went to with the family about 15 years ago. Vocal sound throughout was absolutely brilliant, natural + clear, and then in one scene the two lead characters stripped off down to swimming costumes and leapt into an on-stage pool to sing their next number. No sign of taped lavaliers or transmitter packs, but the vocal sound didn't suffer at as they splashed about. I've still no idea how that was done.
bigster
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:33 am

Might have been miming?

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:17 am

It's not unknown for transmitters to be hidden in wigs... if wigs were being worn... and mics are regularly hidden on the natural hairline.

James Galway (remember him?) used to have a lavalier clipped to his shirt cuff with the cable going back up the sleeve.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:33 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:Might have been miming?

CC

Ir maybe, heaven forfend, they weren't miked up at all :blush:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:00 pm

bigster wrote:That's interesting. (At risk of going off-topic) it reminds me of a West End show I went to with the family about 15 years ago. Vocal sound throughout was absolutely brilliant, natural + clear, and then in one scene the two lead characters stripped off down to swimming costumes and leapt into an on-stage pool to sing their next number. No sign of taped lavaliers or transmitter packs, but the vocal sound didn't suffer at as they splashed about. I've still no idea how that was done.

What show was that?

Trying to remember if 'Pyjama Tops' was miced :-) Probably not, in 1973

http://www.leodis.net/playbills/item.asp?ri=2003818_35059756#
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.