You are here

Cable labelling?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Cable labelling?

Postby Arpangel » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:02 am

baward wrote:
SimonZ wrote:Finally I found these, self laminating cables for inkjet printer on A4 sheets, 280 labels for £6.99...........

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mr-Label-Self-Laminating-Around-Cable-Labels/dp/B07HGWQPTN/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_229_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=2NFGPDRVD60T9AHVS1AN&th=1

I have an Excel template if anyone needs one :thumbup:

Yes please!

Thanks, but don't have a laser printer!

:(
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby baward » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:06 am

The Elf wrote:
SimonZ wrote:Finally I found these, self laminating cables for inkjet printer on A4 sheets, 280 labels for £6.99...........

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mr-Label-Self-Laminating-Around-Cable-Labels/dp/B07HGWQPTN/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_229_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=2NFGPDRVD60T9AHVS1AN&th=1

I have an Excel template if anyone needs one :thumbup:
Ooh, yes please!!!

Me too please!
baward
Regular

Postby baward » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:09 am

Arpangel wrote:
Thanks, but don't have a laser printer!

:(

Sorry, a bit of finger trouble there!
baward
Regular

Postby SimonZ » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:45 pm

OK, here's a link to the spread sheet.
In the first sheet simply type in your cable ID's down the frist column, just once for each cable. (I've put in a few to show how it works).
These will appear in the subsequent sheets in pairs for up to 10 sheets worth.
The only difference with laser vs ink jet is how easilly it smudges, just keep your fingers off the inky bits, once the clear part is wrapped around it will be fine.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3nt8zmsxn3bdcj/CABLE%20ID%20LABELS%20TEMPLATE.xlsx?dl=0

Let me know if there is any trouble with the link.

:bouncy:
SimonZ
Regular

Postby DGL. » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:24 am

Also if you have a Brother P-Touch labeler that can take the 24mm tape then they do printable heatshrink, plus if using normal P-Touch labels (very cheap if you buy compatible ones) they have a cable labelling wizard in the PC software which works out the bend point in relation to cable size and aligns the printable areas accordingly.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:03 pm

Amazon Mr Labels look good, I'll get some of those.

:thumbup:
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:21 am

Arpangel wrote:Amazon Mr Labels look good, I'll get some of those.

Mine should be delivered some time today 8-)

So, I should finally be able to plug in those occasional cables lying underneath my desk without tracing the other ends back to their source to find out which is which ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:38 am

Full review please!
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Arpangel » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:53 am

Martin Walker wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Amazon Mr Labels look good, I'll get some of those.

Mine should be delivered some time today 8-)

So, I should finally be able to plug in those occasional cables lying underneath my desk without tracing the other ends back to their source to find out which is which ;)

Martin

Would that be occasional tables? In which case I can sympathise, my partner is always seeing a pair of legs sticking out from under the furniture in my studio...

:-|
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:32 pm

Haha! :D

No, it's definitely occasional cables, as in three or four cables that only rarely get plugged in to my system.

So, since I'm routing direct into a multi-channel audio interface instead of a mixing desk, and have already maxed out its inputs, I occasionally have to unplug something else to plug one of these extras in, so the free ends are lying neatly underneath the desk (inside a small bag to keep dust off them).

So every dew months I find myself on hands and knees with a torch trying to identify which cable is which.

Hence the interest in these labels ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby shmuelyosef » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:47 pm

I use 1/2" Pro Artist tape...same stuff that I use on:
Mixers - put a strip under the faders and label channels
Cables - write the label twice while still on the roll with a gap, then cut it off the roll, place the gap on the cable and stick them together.
Synths/keyboards - put a strip on top near the back and label all the connection points so I can plug and unplug things without having to get my face back there
DAW interface - same as mixers
etc...
shmuelyosef
Poster

Postby jodaki » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:30 pm

DC-Choppah wrote:This!
This is used also for aircraft wiring and other harsh environments. It does not fade and does not come off. The cable remains flexible at the label.

Love it! Ive been doing something similar with a label tape and a UV resistant weather-proof clear tape over the top but its a faff. Though not as much of a faff as rewiring my cables with nice new booties..

Ive also used an electricians' method of coding using a combination of strips of coloured tape similar to some of the suggestions above I think. It works fine and doesnt fade significantly indoors (though the 'labels' [and your cables] gets as dirty as you let them) Drawback is Im the only person who understands the code..

Also, my cables tend to swap duties every so often and if I cant be bothered to take the old label off this can cause a different set of problems.
jodaki
Regular

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:18 am

So, since I'm routing direct into a multi-channel audio interface instead of a mixing desk, and have already maxed out its inputs

Get one of these chaps. It's brilliant for leaving those occasional tables plugged in, exactly what I use mine for and cheap as chips.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Behringer-Ultragain-Pro-8-Digital-ADA8000-preamp/113923971817?hash=item1a8665dae9:g:3nQAAOSwK~ldpMhq

PS Did you get/try the labels discussed above?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Previous