You are here

Allen & Heath GSR-24 using console insert & external preamp

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Allen & Heath GSR-24 using console insert & external preamp

Postby manleyelop » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:48 pm

Hi

im a reaper user wanting to use my hardware pre into a compressor but going into the insert on the gsr as i want to bypass the gsr pre which is throwing a few issues my way.
im unable to monitor the usual way as i could when using the gsr pre's & also the console insert is pre eq when tracking?

i wondered if i could use the maag eq plugin instead of the gsr eq or just use the odd plugin when recording would be handy
i can get everything to work but monitoring while tracking is the problem

is there a way around of patching around this problem i wonder?

im getting horrid latencey when using reaper daw monitoring :headbang:
manleyelop
Regular
Re: Allen & Heath GSR-24 using console insert & external preamp

Postby MOF » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:02 pm

The inserts are after the gsr pre-amps and yes you can plug your hardware pre-amp in there. I can’t see how it will sort your latency problems though.
MOF
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:12 pm

You can reconfigure the console with different take-off points for the DAW interface, one of which is post-insert and post-EQ. I suspect the AC mode (second down in right column) will do what you need.

Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby manleyelop » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:20 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:You can reconfigure the console with different take-off points for the DAW interface, one of which is post-insert and post-EQ. I suspect the AC mode (second down in right column) will do what you need.

Hi yes ive tried those but AC isn't fixing the problem for some reason pressing CB lets me monitor but then no signal gets to the daw

is there a way of doing this i wonder (well hope)
manleyelop
Regular

Postby manleyelop » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:41 pm

MOF wrote:The inserts are after the gsr pre-amps and yes you can plug your hardware pre-amp in there. I can’t see how it will sort your latency problems though.

yeah it's not i wanted to bypass the console preamps & use my bae & hardware comp but it's thrown up a can of worms it would be great if i could get around the monitoring & latency problem
manleyelop
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:15 pm

Are you using a convolution reverb or a similar processing intensive reverb in Reaper which is increasing the latency? Reaverb has a low latency mode which is intended for use when tracking so it may be worth checking to see if one plug-in is causing the latency and whether that plug-in has a low latency mode for tracking.

However, my preferred option when tracking through a desk is to not monitor through the DAW. So I'll send the signal from the desk but monitor in the old fashioned way using the desk aux send controls to set up the monitor mix. The monitor mix from the DAW comes back to two extra channels but I have input monitoring off in the DAW. So I'd go for button A on for the input channels and then C, AC, CD or B on the return channels as desired.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby manleyelop » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:39 pm

James Perrett wrote:Are you using a convolution reverb or a similar processing intensive reverb in Reaper which is increasing the latency? Reaverb has a low latency mode which is intended for use when tracking so it may be worth checking to see if one plug-in is causing the latency and whether that plug-in has a low latency mode for tracking.

However, my preferred option when tracking through a desk is to not monitor through the DAW. So I'll send the signal from the desk but monitor in the old fashioned way using the desk aux send controls to set up the monitor mix. The monitor mix from the DAW comes back to two extra channels but I have input monitoring off in the DAW. So I'd go for button A on for the input channels and then C, AC, CD or B on the return channels as desired.

Hi im using zero plugins at the moment but it would be great to use my maag eq vst when tracking ive not heard of low latency mode though

yes im not wanting to monitor through the daw either but it appears to be the only way i can hear audio using the hardware & console insert im just trying to see if i can get it working somehow bypassing the gsr pre & using my outboard gear you see.i have been connecting the ext pre into the line in setting the console at unity & comp on the insert which works but not ideal or just using the console pre's but im wanting to use my hardware gear
using the pre & insert im getting signal into the daw track but im unable to monitor it unless i activate the daw monitoring but then i have latency
manleyelop
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:38 pm

It looks like the A setting should do what you want - can you not monitor the input with that setting?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby manleyelop » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:53 pm

James Perrett wrote:It looks like the A setting should do what you want - can you not monitor the input with that setting?
using the external pre on the insert no i hear nothing im starting to think what im trying to do just won't work on this console
if i plug into the line in everything works as normal but using the insert no luck

could this be a cable issue on the insert perhaps something im doing incorrectly

my signal chain is mic into ext pre then ext pre output to my comp then output mono jack into my insert
i usually use an insert cable when patching in hardware comps
manleyelop
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:59 pm

Are you sure you're using the right side of the Y-split cable to feed the insert return?
Hugh Robjohns

Postby manleyelop » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:09 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Are you sure you're using the right side of the Y-split cable to feed the insert return?

could i be using the wrong cable lol & that's why its not working :think:
manleyelop
Regular

Postby manleyelop » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:24 pm

Lol the penny finally dropped i wasn't using an insert cable from the comp to the GSR-24 insert :oops:

apologies

Thanks for the help everyone it's now finally working !!
manleyelop
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:40 pm

:D we've all been there. Glad its sorted now. The AC mode will allow you to use the external preamp and console EQ, If that's what you wanted.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby manleyelop » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:24 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote::D we've all been there. Glad its sorted now. The AC mode will allow you to use the external preamp and console EQ, If that's what you wanted.

H
Yes that's what I was hoping to do thanks would be amazing if I had a nice tube tech outboard eq lol but I don't :P
manleyelop
Regular