You are here

Balanced / Unbalanced lead question...

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Balanced / Unbalanced lead question...

Postby Gadget13769 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:27 am

I have a question over what lead/jacks to use…

I have a Rane SM26B splitter/mixer which has balanced outputs on TRS.

I want to send a feed from it to the input of my Yamaha SPX90 II, which has a single unbalanced TS input.

Can I get away with using a standard TRS/TRS or TS/TS lead without a dB loss or significant noise increase (<1m length), or would I be better soldering-up a bespoke lead?

If it’s the latter, what build would be best? A TRS/TRS with one connection floating, or a TRS/TS of some description?

Thanks.
Gadget13769
Regular

Re: Balanced / Unbalanced lead question...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:51 am

From the first page of the manual:

Rane wrote:If unbalanced operation is your preference, the simplest way to accomplish this is through the use of tip-sleeve ¼" connectors. The ring is not essential unless balanced operation is required. Be aware that if you are running unbalanced and using TRS connectors with both tip and ring, the ring and sleeve must be shorted together. Failure to do so on the inputs results in a gain loss of 6 dB.

So just use standard TS (instrument) jack cables., There will be no loss of level because the balanced output driver has a servo-action to maintain level on the hot line when the cold line is shorted to ground (as it would be when a TS plug is inserted).

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Balanced / Unbalanced lead question...

Postby Gadget13769 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:19 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:From the first page of the manual:

Rane wrote:If unbalanced operation is your preference, the simplest way to accomplish this is through the use of tip-sleeve ¼" connectors. The ring is not essential unless balanced operation is required. Be aware that if you are running unbalanced and using TRS connectors with both tip and ring, the ring and sleeve must be shorted together. Failure to do so on the inputs results in a gain loss of 6 dB.

So just use standard TS (instrument) jack cables., There will be no loss of level because the balanced output driver has a servo-action to maintain level on the hot line when the cold line is shorted to ground (as it would be when a TS plug is inserted).

H

Many thanks for your reply, Hugh. That'll save me some work/expense, as I have plenty of TS/TS leads! :)
Gadget13769
Regular