You are here

Acoustic treatment / vocal booth

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Acoustic treatment / vocal booth

Postby JordanBeats » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:11 am

Hello friends

Thanks to some good advice from some of you, I am currently focusing on treating my recording space acoustically.

I mix using headphones, and the only things I record in the room are vocals and acoustic guitar. Everything else is MIDI inside the box.

So my questions are:

1. What is the best value for money solution for this scenario? I’ve been looking up Auralex stuff and they seem to have a good range, but I still can’t figure out what is best in my case. I don’t want cheap ineffective stuff but I don’t want to pay a fortune either.

2. Would be great if what you recommend is something that I can
a. Apply to other rooms easily if I was to move house
b. Expand on if I wanted to start mixing through speakers and/or mic up other instruments like a guitar AMP or acoustic drums.

Also, I can’t drill in my walls so I’m guessing heavy weight panels are out of the question.

Thanks
JordanBeats
Poster

Re: Acoustic treatment / vocal booth

Postby CS70 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:06 am

In the process of setting up a new rehearsal room myself.

The temporary solution is to use heavy duvets hanging on mic stands when you record.

The ideal solution to mid-high range treatment for me has been to make broadband absorbers from Industrial acoustic foam enclosed in a light wooden frame - you can find a lot of DYI projects around and on SOS itself (or the forum). Then you cover anything with some elastic textile (for example from GIK Acoustic, or ebay's your friend). The textile needs te let air move thru so if you go ebay make sure it's speaker cloth or otherwise "breathing" textile).

You can also buy the absorbers already made by the same GIK Acoustics and others but it costs more than DYI.

Layers of towels arranged in frames the same way seem to work pretty ok as well.

Even if acoustic guitar and vocals don't have much low end, it's worth considering also some bass trapping in the corners to help tighten the sound.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Wonks » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:30 am

f you have the space for them, you can always make floor-standing absorber panels which you only need move into place when recording. This also allows you to have them away from the walls a bit, making them more effective. But you'll need somewhere to store them when not in use if you can't leave them up all the time. Just think about transportation if you go this route and moving to another house when picking a panel size. Folding or bolt-on legs for stability will make them more transportable.

Just making more panels of the same sort will allow you to expand the treatment level. Making some dedicated corner bass traps will help significantly for instruments with more bass-end than an acoustic guitar.

And if the floor is carpeted, then a sheet of MDF or hardboard to put on the floor when recording acoustic guitar will help prevent the sound from being too dull.

DIY RW3 rockwool panels are the most cost-effective means of adding acoustic treatment, but rely on you having the time and the basic DIY skills to make them.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby JordanBeats » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:08 am

Thank you both
JordanBeats
Poster

Postby Dave B » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:19 pm

For vocals, you need a more controlled sound I find. My studio is a treated room which has the right kinds of absorption in the right places. I also have a permanent mic set up for vocals which used a reflexion filter type ‘mic wrap around’ absorber and the combination of these treatments gives me a good sound - and a nice room to work / mix in.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)