You are here

Sharing a recording space between different working stations

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Sharing a recording space between different working stations

Postby Mads Lind » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:29 pm

Hey friends, new to the forum, but interested in all your advice.

My question is fairly straightforward: What ways can you suggest for sharing a semi-fixed microphone setup between different people working on each their own different daw/mixer/console set-up?

I've recently banned together with some friends to pool all our gear and get a nice new space for recording. What we want is to set up all our gear ready to play AND have everything miked up as default, so that everything is ready to go. Our problem is that we all have different recording set ups (some work on laptops, some on analogue consoles, etc.) as we make very different sorts of music. We all want to record drums, guitars, keys and vocals, and can sort of agree on the default mike set up. But we want to find the easiest way of connecting our respective interface-monitor-mixer set ups to the ready-to-go fixed and shared microphone set up, so that we can get recording fast upon arrival.

I'm really interested to hear what you think! Is there any easy way, or should we just get a stage box and start each day with connecting every single cable to our own interfaces.

Thank you so much!
Mads Lind

Re: Sharing a recording space between different working stations

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:54 pm

The solution will depend on the available budget, but the most obvious solution would be a multichannel Dante preamp I/O box in the studio, and then either the Dante VCS software or dedicated interface cards in the computers, and a Dante hardware breakout I/O box for the consoles.

Not cheap, but by far the optimum solution and future-proof...

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:04 pm

Are you each bringing your recording system into the studio for your session and working on the mixes at home or will they all be permanently set up?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby CS70 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:28 pm

Mads Lind wrote:Hey friends, new to the forum, but interested in all your advice.

My question is fairly straightforward: What ways can you suggest for sharing a semi-fixed microphone setup between different people working on each their own different daw/mixer/console set-up?

I've recently banned together with some friends to pool all our gear and get a nice new space for recording. What we want is to set up all our gear ready to play AND have everything miked up as default, so that everything is ready to go. Our problem is that we all have different recording set ups (some work on laptops, some on analogue consoles, etc.) as we make very different sorts of music. We all want to record drums, guitars, keys and vocals, and can sort of agree on the default mike set up. But we want to find the easiest way of connecting our respective interface-monitor-mixer set ups to the ready-to-go fixed and shared microphone set up, so that we can get recording fast upon arrival.

I'm really interested to hear what you think! Is there any easy way, or should we just get a stage box and start each day with connecting every single cable to our own interfaces.

Thank you so much!

A lot depends on more details than you give - the current topology and which kind of expandability you want. That said, an RME interface with enough line I/O to accomodate the maximum channel count (the desk, I presume) will have TotalMix.

And with TotalMix recalling a routing is a matter of loading a snapshot (or even pushing a button if you have the remote).

A challenge are mics which someone want to the desk, and someone else to a different preamp. A digital patchbay could help there as well or an active splitter.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Arpangel » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:56 am

Simple solution, and cheap, a patch bay. Take all the mic lines to a balanced patch bay, clearly labled, once people have learnt how to patch for their system that's it.
You could normalise all commonly used sources.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Funkyflash5 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:02 am

Possibly a stage box with db25 out(s) that could make it a matter of swapping one (set) of db25's to another
Funkyflash5
Poster